My Scar 17 story... How I became a fanboy.

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree49Thanks

Thread: My Scar 17 story... How I became a fanboy.

My Scar 17 story... How I became a fanboy.

So to start the story, I used to hate the Scars... trendy, everyone's favorite in video games, and the gun everyone bragged was the best without ever owning one because "special forces" uses it (same stories id get about the HK MK23 and other fanboy weapons). I bought one early on through the LE program just to have one, dressed it up all tacticool, shot it twice and sold it because I couldn't see having that much invested in a gun that really just wasn't that great...

Well, turns out I just didnt really designate a purpose for it. The Scar was always just a notch on the belt and another gun in the safe. Fast forward to the Scar Shortage of 2016... I had already picked up a Scar 16 and did the CQB SBR so I could use it for work stuff, and had the radar out for a Scar 17 to do the same with the 13 inch barrel. Finally found one and picked it up, filed the stamp and ordered all the parts. E-traces were coming back in 6-10 weeks so I had it ready to go pretty quickly! At first, I stuck a TA11 Acog with RMR on it and really never shot it... it again became the cool gun to say I had, take pictures of with my suppressor on and make all the guys I work with go Ooo Ahhh over it. Well out of boredom, I ended up putting the Trijicon on another gun and came into a trade for a Leupold MK6 1-6 with the 762 reticle and thought id give it a shot on the Scar since my other two 308 guns were setup for long range.

This is where my eyes were opened, FNH hats and tshirts were ordered, and I became a true Fanboy. My long range spot has 16x20 inch steel at 700 meters, 800 meters and 1000 meters(765, 875 and 1094 yards for those who dont convert) ... other than a spot to zero at 91 meters (100 yards), there is nothing in between. Previously I had been doing load development in my REPR at 1,000 meters and decided one day to bring the Scar 17 out and see how it did. Knowing the loads for my REPR likely wouldnt work in the Scar nearly as well due to the short barrel, I just bought a few boxes of ball ammo to try (ZQI and Federal 147 ball). I tossed a few through my Chrono and the average was about 2450 FPS with the 13 inch barrel and Surefire RC suppressor, so I dialed it into my ballistics program and aimed for 700 meters. Dialed 8 mils up and holding a mil left for wind, just off to the right... Sent the next one and HIT! Did the same hold for the remaining 18 rounds and none missed. I was in complete shock that a light barrel Scar 17 SBR could pummel 2 MOA ball ammo into steel that consistently! I let it cool for a while then dialed to 10.5 mils in an attempt for 800 meters. I was skeptical as velocity showed to be down around 1100 FPS near the target and figured stability would be an issue. Out just for fun at this point anyway, I held the same 1 mil left for wind not knowing how the bullet would react and it hit right again... Ended up holding 1.5 mils left and hit! Again, the next 18 rounds following suit into the steel. My buddy that shoots out there with me sometimes has a Scar 17 16 inch he takes out to 1,000 meters with SMK 175s, but I never imagined id be hitting 800 meters with crap ball ammo and a SBR! For fun I attempted 1000 meters, which maxed the elevation out on the Leupold and had to hold for the rest. I loaded up 10 rounds knowing it was a snow balls chance in hell, and didnt have a spotter with me so I was already stretching my abilities with a 1-6 and having to hold elevation and wind. Sure enough, none of them hit, but they did dance all around the steel! According to the calculator, velocity was in the 960 FPS range at that distance, so likely even if I did get on target, it would be quite difficult to make a second hit.

Because of how much I enjoy taking the Scar out now, I actually ended up selling my MR762 just because I couldnt justify a "Mid range" gun knowing the REPR is almost boring at 1,000, and the Scar doesnt miss at 800, so I can only hope a factory 20 inch Scar actually comes out some day! If it has a skinny profile barrel I likely wont buy one without trying someone elses as the REPR doesnt seem to get phased by heat with the heavy profile and can on it, but I was surprised that even rapid fire suppressed at 700 and 800 didnt shake the Scar off target. I may get around to putting some 155 gr SMK hand loads together for the Scar to see if I can get the grouping a bit better, but with how well it does just using Ball, I kind of enjoy just taking the scar out and having a cheap range day! I ended up selling off the Leupold and switching to the Vortex Razor 1-6 with the Mil reticle and like it much better, but other than that, I dont plan on doing anything else to this gun!

Ive since converted quite a few others who had similar hate for the Scar just out of its online popularity or the "its not worth that much money" comments, and even those without long range experience (granted when you dial for them, tell them where to aim and spot for them, it takes much of the "skill" out of it) are able to make hits at that distance with my rifle... It has gone from "gun I like to have in my safe" to "if SHTF, this is my first choice for defense!". I have also sold off most of my AR based SBRs in 223 variant for the Scar 16 10 inch because much like the 17, its just amazing what that gun can do!

This brings my "How I became a fanboy" story to an end.

Figured id add a picture for visual effect!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FenixMike; 01-02-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added picture

That's a really good read. The range I go to has a maximum 200 yard range, and it's on about 5 miles of desert land. My shooting buddy and I were recently discussing how disappointed we were with the way they made use of such a vast amount of land. It's got plenty of space for thousand yard ranges. We will have to go out to open desert and set out further targets ourselves. (Live in Southern Nevada). I'm actually a 50 to 200 yard shooter for what I generally like to do. But I also feel a responsibility to be able to know how to shoot to at least 400 yards accurately. It's almost like not being responsible if I don't learn to use the rifle for what it's capable of. And most likely, I'll never even have to use it out to those distances. But I would feel a fool if I had this fine SCAR 17, needed to make that shot, and couldn't do it. I like a little faster type run and gun type shooting, using it as more of a battle rifle, but am developing a desire for more long range accuracy shooting. Usually out in the desert just for fun shooting at steel out to about 125 yards, and an occasional boulder I pick out to shoot at further. Usually when I go to a range, it's with by buddy who has some new rifle or scope to sight in, and I tag along and shoot paper with my rifles. I'm finding an enormous amount of excitement when I pull off tight groups. I must admit, almost child like excitement lol. And that's just at two hundred yards. I tip my hat, and gees, even a couple of oh hail the mighty king bows when I hear of 600 hundred yard hits with an SBR. Great story on how you became a fan of the 17. Thanks or posting what I find to be an exciting range experience.
    LESTER, hillbillyjim, Smurky and 2 others thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Man View Post
    That's a really good read. The range I go to has a maximum 200 yard range, and it's on about 5 miles of desert land. My shooting buddy and I were recently discussing how disappointed we were with the way they made use of such a vast amount of land. It's got plenty of space for thousand yard ranges. We will have to go out to open desert and set out further targets ourselves. (Live in Southern Nevada). I'm actually a 50 to 200 yard shooter for what I generally like to do. But I also feel a responsibility to be able to know how to shoot to at least 400 yards accurately. It's almost like not being responsible if I don't learn to use the rifle for what it's capable of. And most likely, I'll never even have to use it out to those distances. But I would feel a fool if I had this fine SCAR 17, needed to make that shot, and couldn't do it. I like a little faster type run and gun type shooting, using it as more of a battle rifle, but am developing a desire for more long range accuracy shooting. Usually out in the desert just for fun shooting at steel out to about 125 yards, and an occasional boulder I pick out to shoot at further. Usually when I go to a range, it's with by buddy who has some new rifle or scope to sight in, and I tag along and shoot paper with my rifles. I'm finding an enormous amount of excitement when I pull off tight groups. I must admit, almost child like excitement lol. And that's just at two hundred yards. I tip my hat, and gees, even a couple of oh hail the mighty king bows when I hear of 600 hundred yard hits with an SBR. Great story on how you became a fan of the 17. Thanks or posting what I find to be an exciting range experience.
    Just go find a good spot of BLM or Forest Service land... tons of it up there! If you make it down this way, we have 3 ranges that go to 1,000 yards, but I still prefer the places on federal land a bit further out so no one bothers me. Cant use it during fire season, but I don't generally do much outdoor shooting during the summer months anyway. The spot I found is in a valley with a lot of vegetation, so it isn't convenient to set up close range stuff, but the back of the valley is 1600 meters out according to my range finder, and with a Barret MRAD on the way, I will be putting steel out at a mile as soon as it gets here!
    Smurky, akitainu and Canyon Man thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Thanks for sharing, if you get that 155 load worked up appreciate if you shared.
    akitainu, hillbillyjim and LESTER thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurky View Post
    Thanks for sharing, if you get that 155 load worked up appreciate if you shared.
    Id be happy to! I have 100 SMK 155s that I took on trade and just havent found a use for, but the 178s I run in my REPR are too heavy for a barrel this short with the powder I use so I havent tried them in the Scar. May take more than that to get this gun consistently sub MOA like the REPR is, but I imagine I can at least pick up 100 fps on the big end by loading a bit warmer with these instead of the 147 FMJs.
    Smurky thanked this.

Nice shooting FenixMike and thanks for posting up. Always nice to hear about SCARS stretching their legs!
    Smurky thanked this.

Nice story and post. Thanks for writing it all down. Nice to hear how you stretched its legs a bit.
    Smurky thanked this.

Thanks everyone! I will see if I can get some vids up next time I go out (pending I have a shooting partner that day), or try and get one of the iPhone adapters for my spotting scope. The 700 meter steel is pretty easy to hear, but the 800 you really need active ears if there is even the slightest breeze. Its just a hair too loud suppressed to be enjoyable with no ears, and I get tested often in my line of work so can't chance losing it!
    Smurky and BigBuckeyeGuy thanked this.

Good story. If it helps get you started with the 155s, mine loves the Noslers or Sierras with IMR4064. I ended up at 43.5 grains, but my buddy's liked 44.0 a little better. That's been good to the 700 yard max we used to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry in IN View Post
    Good story. If it helps get you started with the 155s, mine loves the Noslers or Sierras with IMR4064. I ended up at 43.5 grains, but my buddy's liked 44.0 a little better. That's been good to the 700 yard max we used to have.
    Ive got a bunch of Varget I use with my 178s, and a couple pounds of CFE223 that I tried but saw pressure signs with when I pushed it, however it saw incredible velocity so I may try the CFE with these to see if it helps out due to the shorter barrel. You can really feel the difference in recoil with the Scar using hotter rounds and I dont know at what point it will cause issues. Ive already changed out the gas jets and it cycles like a baby now, so the next step is to see what kind of velocity I can get out of it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links