Nervous about changing muzzle brake on new 17

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree27Thanks

Thread: Nervous about changing muzzle brake on new 17

Nervous about changing muzzle brake on new 17

I'm really happy with my newly acquired 17 but need to install an omega muzzle brake. It seems easy enough to take the barrel off following some online tutorials but I'm leary about the tango down armorer block. I love the geissele reaction rod for AR work...... I was also thinking about contacting PMM and seeing if I could just send him my barrel and brake to install it. I don't want to risk damaging anything.

What is the current general consensus on barrel work?

Thank you!

On the 17 I've never actually needed to remove the barrel to change out a muzzle device. The stock PWS brake is held in place with a jam nut, so you just need appropriately sized wrenches. I've been able to do it sitting down with the rifle in my lap it's so simple. Once you have the jam nut and PWS brake loose, simply spin the PWS unit off, spin your new muzzle device on, get it timed where you want it and snug the jam nut in place to hold it. Then use both wrenches again, the one on your new muzzle device should just be holding it so it doesn't spin, then use the other wrench to tighten the jam nut against it.

The armorer's block works great, though, and it's probably the more correct way to hold the assembly while you change out muzzle devices, I've just never needed it for the 17. If you opt to remove the barrel assembly so you can use the vice block, be sure to check the torque spec on the barrel screws when you're re-assembling it. I believe it's 62 inch pounds, but you should check to be sure. You don't want to over torque them.

And congrats on your new SCAR 17S! They're great rifles!
    Last edited by Fourth Horseman; 01-30-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    A while ago some member posted up the idea of using 2 ( 2X4) blocks with a hole drilled down the center. I still to this day prefer to use those soft jaws for many occasions. The wood crunches nicely when clamping the barrel . When I changed mine that worded great.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

Trump " See You In court " ......

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    It is not necessary to remove the barrel to remove or even install a brake on the 17. As stated above use the proper sized wrenches to hold the jam nut in place and twist the brake off lefty loosey. As far as installation alot of folks use the shoulder ring but I just used the included spacers to time the ASR and it worked great. Use plenty of rock set due to the lack of shoulder. Let it set for 24 hours before shooting or it will probably break loose (I don't think it will with ASR but it did with the Saker MAAD). The ASR has been good to go so far.
    lefthanded7 and HK SD9 Tactical thanked this.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Everything I've read you should NOT use the jam nut with a muzzle device for a suppressor, you want the muzzle device against the shoulder of the barrel. The ASR (Specwar) muzzle devices don't need the shoulder ring per SilencerShop. SCAR 17 Muzzle Device Compatibility List
    I had the Tango Down block and it worked great but I needed the block for the 10" and 13" SBRs. Make sure to properly torque the muzzle device, you do have to compensate for the crowfoot extension if used with the torque wrench so it isn't over torqued. It's a relatively easy task if your confident in your mechanical abilities and have the tools.
    SnowSCAR, hillbillyjim, LESTER and 1 others thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    I was hesitant to do it myself as well. I read up a lot on this particular subject and it is much easier that you think. You do not need to remove the barrel to do this. DO NOT use the jam nut when replacing your flash hider/brake. Depending on the Omega, you may either need a Surefire support ring or a BKA support ring, unless one came with the muzzle device. You will also need shims to time the brake properly. Get some RockSet as you will need that as well to ensure that the brake does not come loose. Using RockSet also allows you to not have to torque the muzzle device to the specified amount which IMHO is too much.

I just installed the AAC 51 tooth Muzzle Brake on my SCAR 17 and it worked out just fine. Make sure you do a couple of dry runs on the muzzle device before your final installation. Make sure you get the right amount of shims in place so when you torque it to your preference, it will be timed correctly.

KBA: KBA Custom SCAR 17 Shoulder Ring (Forum Sponsor)

RockSet can be had at Brownells or any number of firearm places. Be prepared to buy the smallest bottle which is 2oz and it is more that you will ever use in a lifetime.

Jeremy at Silencer Shop (Forum Sponsor) is probably the best source of information on the installation of this particular muzzle device onto the SCAR17.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

What if you only want to replace it with a standard flash hider & no sound suppressor. Will the jam nut work ok with that setup?
    Smurky thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    What if you only want to replace it with a standard flash hider & no sound suppressor. Will the jam nut work ok with that setup?
    Info that I have seen is NOT to use the jam nut with any type of flash hider or brake. It is to be used with the original FH/B that is on the firearm as shipped. It appears that the jam nut may cause issues if used with anything else.
    Big Muddy and Smurky thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    HK's description ( above ) is as I understand things to be also. I never removed anything but the FH from mine and installed the YHM QD for the Phantom can.
    My blocks were 4" wide which enabled me to clamp right onto the barrel via the vice. I did not use rockset but am not opposed to it.
    Just for the record if anyone can remember back to my " Lack of zero " repeatability problem I had ... 4 yrs ago ??? It was due to my over-zealous " gooden-tite " method of adapter attachment. In fact my nearly surgical pencil dik barrel went from being a scalpel to being something that was 3-4 MOA @ 100 and unrepeatable. It took me a lot of " soul searching " to diagnosis what was wrong .... asked a lot of questions .... pestered a lot of people.
    That is just a small testament to how important following the Manu's directions are . Yes I used 2 wrenches for removal ... I still clamped the weapon down especially the second time around.... ! Like I said... I didn't use rockset ( just due to other complications I have had with it on another item) , I can't remember what I used other than following the 25 ft # recommendation , and NO jam nut ! My can has been so hot that it even melted some of the ranges bench protector covers and a few other things. It never has loosened at the QD or the adapter and must have sent well over 2500 rds of excessive fire down range ( and that's when I quit estimating) over a year or more ago .

I still like my wooden blocks.
    For once I actually acquired/ made something that was reasonably priced....
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

Trump " See You In court " ......

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    It won't hurt a thing to use the jam nut with a flash hider... the trig of the added length of a suppressor is not an issue with a muzzle device only.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links