FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree17Thanks

Thread: SCAR17 what cause failure to feed nose down

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I'm certainly no expert but if you haven't already:
    Remove the lower from the upper and insert an empty mag int to the detached lower.
    Use an appropriate size of block of wood to push the follower down into the mag, to the bottom if possible.
    Using a flashlight look into the mage body where the catch locks the mag in place to see if anything is protruding into the body, impeding the rounds from rolling up smoothly.
    then do the same but with a loaded mag and strip the rounds one by one with your thumb, pushing forward as the bolt would. Perhaps you can repeat the condition.

As a side note: Federal Gold Medal Match 7.62 and .308 are identical in load, case, primer--everything except the primer sealer and case polish.
    Kakashi66218 thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, – go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.” “Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakashi66218 View Post
    Again in red^.. This may help.

Pure out of my tail guess here and a huge long shot, another thought is it possible you have a 16 recoil spring in a 17? You say the Utah company handles 1000s of rifles could have been a unintentional mistake if 2 scars where side by side. Looks like less than $10 online. Anyone thoughts or expirence?

Justincase below is the 17 spring only
    FNH SCAR 17 S Return Spring

** same as diagnosing a hiss or clunk sound in a GD car forum...
    I doubt it because they would not have to remove this return spring ( or the bolt carrier) in order to install a bullet button--but just remove the trigger assembly

AHH, Sell it as is to someone called.. LittleLebowski from another Forum

frabz-I-RARELY-CLEAN-MY-OWN-GUN-BUT-WHEN-I-DO-IM-STINKING-DRUNK-e3d512.jpeg

Don't join dangerous Cults,
    practice safe Sects
    . OllllllO

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

I feel like you aren't hearing people say to post some pics so we can see if certain things could be causing this.
    Guest762 and Kakashi66218 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by devildog999 View Post
    I feel like you aren't hearing people say to post some pics so we can see if certain things could be causing this.

I heard all the request for Pics.

My problem is I am old, and I do not own a digital cell phone with a camera, or a digital camera. And even if i did I don't know how to post a picture on my computer let alone how to post a picture onto this forum.

I am very gratefull for all those who take the time to post their suggestions, and its not my intention to argue with those who are kind enough to reply to my problem, and But my SCAR is *BRAND NEW* and every single part, including the feed ramps, visually appears to be in perfect, undamaged, condition-- and exactly the identical condition as the parts on those ASCAR of others that don't have a feed problem. So why would it help to send a picture of a brand new part which is visually in perfect condition and with no visible damage? ( I'm not a gunsmith, and no expert in SCAR.s, but after shooting guns and disassembling and cleaning them for literally 50 years, I just might have the ability to be able to spot visible damage, or something that looks out of the ordinary.
    Its highly unlikely a part on my gun was not made to factory spec. My feed problem shouldn't even be happening.

MY feed ramp ( with no moving parts) is not damaged and appears perfect, so how would it help to send a picture of it? Also, the nose of the bullet is not even hitting the feed ramp with the bullet in it's proper horizontal position, or it would be fed into the barrel and fired. If my bullets were hitting the feed ramp in their proper horizontal position I would not be having this failure to feed problem. In other words the cause of problem is occurring in the process before the feed ramp or barrel.

With all due respect to everybody, My guess is that the person who can best help me is a person who owns a SCAR 17 and who had the identical failure to feed (nose down) problem when their gun was brand new, and who fixed it, and now knows the cause and knows the solution.

I think the very best advice I received so far is for me to to install the lower and mag from a friends SCAR 17 that works properly, and see my problem goes away.
    Last edited by buffalo; 02-05-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: clarify

I'm with ya Buffalo, I'm pretty computer illiterate myself over here. I feel your pain. Let me throw in my two cents. If it feeds fine while manually charging the rifle, and then doesn't while firing, to me that suggests a gas setting issue, or perhaps the extractor being too tight. As far as I know, no one has reported this problem before. First off, we have a forum member that goes by STL here. He is owner of Stryker Enterprises, who makes aluminum lowers for the SCAR 17, among other things. He is I would say a wealth of knowledge. I would suggest shooting him a PM, or calling or emailing Stryker Enterprises. He just might appreciate a good quagmire. You may end up sending it back to FN...as this is an issue not brought up before that I know of. But how do I know STLis gonna laff and rattle off the problem right off the bat lol. He knows the SCAR platform very well. Possibilities that come to the top of my head that it could be...extractor, ejector, gas rings lined up - altho I doubt that one, a burr of some sort on the rails impeding it's progress - doubt that one too, but even FN can have an oohps every now and then. You would probably feel anything out of the ordinary if something were impeding progress on the rails while charging by hand. And of course, make sure you aren't on a suppressed setting, which still shouldn't cause that. And check to see that everything in your California compliant parts are installed correctly - odds are, one in a thousand installations can have an over sight or mistake. If you know someone else with a SCAR, switch their lower out to isolate the issue to the upper and lower - and yes I'm sure you know that already. And gees almost forgot...How is the ejection pattern when it ejects the spent casing. I would think it would be inconsistent and weak if it were a problem with an upper receiver, gas piston, or bolt group. Also, check the bolt catch to make sure it's in solid. And yes, you have probably done that I'm sure. And if you are not running the OEM butt stock, make sure it's nothing crazy going on with that. I would think you would have trouble getting the butt stock on if there was an issue there. So go thru that list of stuff, try giving STL a private message, or his company Stryker Enterprises. After that, you're stuck with sending it back to FN. I'm sorry you're having this trouble, I know it's frustrating. But take comfort in the fact that it is VERY RARE to have an issue with a SCAR. It's a solid rifle. You just had the misfortune of getting an extremely rare case of an issue. Thank's for posting your problem here. Perhaps we can all learn something when you get to the bottom of this problem, and you will...Hang in there, and please let us know what it turns out to be, and how you figured out what it was and how you fixed it. I know it's got my curiosity peaked. ( And don't you just love how easy it is to be told to go waste 200 rounds of ammo to see if the problem goes away, like ammo is cheap, and bad shooting outings aren't frustrating ) I guess you gotta do it, but gees...I don't think this is a break in issue. Keep us posted please Sir. : )

EDIT: I reread your initial post regarding you cheked the gas rings and gas regulator and it's settings. One last thing...it could be a bad batch of ammo. Even tho it's Federal Gold Match, it just could be...doubtful I think, but I'd run any other reputable brand thru it to cross it off the list...and yes I bet u know that too lol. I know it sux to be talked down to...but since that Federal Gold Math has suh a good reputation, I thought I'd throw it out there...no matter how good a company is, a mistake can happen...so cross that ammo possibility off the list too.
    Last edited by Canyon Man; 02-05-2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: additional info.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalo View Post

My problem is I am old, and I do not own a digital cell phone with a camera, or a digital camera. And even if i did I don't know how to post a picture on my computer let alone how to post a picture onto this forum.

I am very gratefull for all those who take the time to post their suggestions, and its not my intention to argue with those who are kind enough to reply to my problem, and But my SCAR is *BRAND NEW* and every single part, including the feed ramps, visually appears to be in perfect, undamaged, condition-- and exactly the identical condition as the parts on those ASCAR of others that don't have a feed problem. So why would it help to send a picture of a brand new part which is visually in perfect condition and with no visible damage? ( I'm not a gunsmith, and no expert in SCAR.s, but after shooting guns and disassembling and cleaning them for literally 50 years, I just might have the ability to be able to spot visible damage, or something that looks out of the ordinary.
    Its highly unlikely a part on my gun was not made to factory spec. My feed problem shouldn't even be happening.

MY feed ramp ( with no moving parts) is not damaged and appears perfect, so how would it help to send a picture of it? Also, the nose of the bullet is not even hitting the feed ramp with the bullet in it's proper horizontal position, or it would be fed into the barrel and fired. If my bullets were hitting the feed ramp in their proper horizontal position I would not be having this failure to feed problem. In other words the cause of problem is occurring in the process before the feed ramp or barrel.

With all due respect to everybody, My guess is that the person who can best help me is a person who owns a SCAR 17 and who had the identical failure to feed (nose down) problem when their gun was brand new, and who fixed it, and now knows the cause and knows the solution.

I think the very best advice I received so far is for me to to install the lower and mag from a friends SCAR 17 that works properly, and see my problem goes away.
    I don't know if you saw or tried my suggestion above already but it was made assuming the same things you've just stated. The only outlier here is the bullet button. I don't have any experiences with those, thankfully, but everything else you've mentioned has been at least at a glance, ruled out. Even though the people you employed 'have done thousands'--that would make me feel that was the first one to check! If you think about your problem... if the rounds wer in position as the bolt carrier draws back(pointing at the split in the front of the mag) there is NOWHERE for the round to go but in the chamber. The only way they can 'nose down' is if they are lower than the correct position to be chambered and therefore collide with the front of the mag causing the bolt carrier to lift the rear of the round and push the cartridge down into the mag. The 'knowns' of this issue point you in that direction. Could be wrong, but that's where I'd be looking if I were you. Good luck.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, – go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.” “Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo View Post

That's completely understandable, in the future it may help to mention that early on so that people stop asking. As for your rifle being brand new, the reason people are asking for those pics is because they may be able to see something you do not see. There are plenty of people in this forum who know this firearm just as well as the manufacturer does and they could spot something that looks perfect but is off. I realize you can't do that, due to no camera, but it doesn't hurt to understand why people want the pictures.

You said your rifle is brand new; this may have already been mentioned and I didn't see it but does your SN fall in line with some of the SCARs which were recalled a few months ago? It may be brand new but it may have sat in a store for a couple months before you got it. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by devildog999 View Post
    That's completely understandable, in the future it may help to mention that early on so that people stop asking. As for your rifle being brand new, the reason people are asking for those pics is because they may be able to see something you do not see. There are plenty of people in this forum who know this firearm just as well as the manufacturer does and they could spot something that looks perfect but is off. I realize you can't do that, due to no camera, but it doesn't hurt to understand why people want the pictures.

You said your rifle is brand new; this may have already been mentioned and I didn't see it but does your SN fall in line with some of the SCARs which were recalled a few months ago? It may be brand new but it may have sat in a store for a couple months before you got it. Just a thought.

Can someone please tell me just what problem the SCAR's were recalled for a few months ago was for?

When I called FN factory I was not told there was a recall on the SCAR`17, but I was told that they previously had feed problems with their previous style mag, but not with the current version, which I have on my SCAR as verified because the follower in my mags all have the word "7.62 NATO" stamped on the top of the mag follower. He said thats how one can tell whether they have the old style FN mag or the latest version FN mag..

Quote Originally Posted by Rattyxj00 View Post
    I don't know if you saw or tried my suggestion above already but it was made assuming the same things you've just stated. The only outlier here is the bullet button. I don't have any experiences with those, thankfully, but everything else you've mentioned has been at least at a glance, ruled out. Even though the people you employed 'have done thousands'--that would make me feel that was the first one to check! If you think about your problem... if the rounds wer in position as the bolt carrier draws back(pointing at the split in the front of the mag) there is NOWHERE for the round to go but in the chamber. The only way they can 'nose down' is if they are lower than the correct position to be chambered and therefore collide with the front of the mag causing the bolt carrier to lift the rear of the round and push the cartridge down into the mag. The 'knowns' of this issue point you in that direction. Could be wrong, but that's where I'd be looking if I were you. Good luck.

Have not tried your suggestion yet but I will.
    Rattyxj00 thanked this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links