SCAR17 what cause failure to feed nose down

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree17Thanks

Thread: SCAR17 what cause failure to feed nose down

Unhappy SCAR17 what cause failure to feed nose down

What causes my brand new SCAR 17 to failure to feed, nose down, 50% of the rounds. ( about every other round). I used new Federal Gold 308 ammo. I cleaned and oiled the gun (not oil the gas piston or gas block), the Gas piston rings are properly staggered and gas block is properly set at 12:00. All gas holes are not blocked. It's not the mag as I tried 4 brand new latest version FN factory mags , and its not the ammo as I tried different ammo. Happens when mag is full, or half full. Feeds o.k 100% of the time when the bolt is held back and a new mag is inserted and the bolt is released---but when the bolt is driven back by a round fired- the bolt is not properly feeding the next round, but very other shot "faiis to feed -nose down". Could it be the "bullet button" cause this? I don't think so because its feeds fine when the bolt is pulled back, and mag is inserted and bolt returned it strips off the top cartridge just fine .

If you own a SCAR 17 and this failure to feed- nose down, happened to you please tell me what caused it, and what you did to fix it.
    I called FN factory gunsmith and he didn't know the cause of my failure to feed but after he verified I have the latest improved FN factory mags he suggested that i shoot 200
    rounds of 7.62 Nato thru it to "break it in". He said the tolerances of the SCAR17 spring is tight. He said even though the factory uses Federal gold because it's the brand of ammo that works the best in the SCAR17 , he said that 7.62 Nato works better than 308 in the SCAR17.

One month later i found the problem: "Many replied to my previous thread "new SCAR 17 failure to feed" a few weeks ago. Thank you all for the many responses and suggestions--including suggestions of gas problem.
    The problem was the aftermarket bullet button. (apparently either bullets were getting hung up in the mag or the mag was sitting too low). After making it featureless
    I installed the original mag release and it now shoots 100% flawlessly and perfectly. Once i discovered the problem was the old bullet button, I then installed a new red lock brand bullet button on it to keep it legal. LOVE THIS GUN!
    Last edited by buffalo; 03-10-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    macman1138 thanked this.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Pardon my ignorance what is a "fails to feed -nose down" Do you have a picture?
    Kakashi66218 and jaflowers thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jarod: When I say failure to feed nose down I mean after the spent case is ejected when the bolt strips off a new cartrage and it pops up and the bolt front hits it in the rear ( maybe hits the top forcing it to angle down? The nose tip of the bullet drops (or is forced) down and thus is driven into the feed ramp at a tip down angle which then forces the nose of the bullet down about an inch into the mag. I manually pull back on the bolt and this frees up that cartridge so it goes back up and when i release the bolt it feeds that cartidge properly and i shoot. The very next shot feeds and fires but the one after that fails to feed. This occurred on my BRAND NEW SCAR 17 the very first time i took it to the range. I shot about 80 total with maybe 40 fail to feed.
    Last edited by buffalo; 02-02-2017 at 09:04 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Are you sure the mags are fully seated in the magwell?
    These are SCAR mags and not FAL mags, right?
    Did you take the mags apart to clean them? Are the followers in correctly?
    You mention a "bullet button", are you in Kalif? If so, are you sure that it's installed correctly?
    Not trying to be a smartass, but sometimes the simplest thing is the problem. I have both the SCAR's and can't envision any way the bullet nose would nose-down an inch into the mag.
    macman1138 thanked this.

Welcome from CG. Buffalo, are you in the SFBA by chance? If so, join me at the range and we can try out your mags on my rigs.

Im guessing the jam you speak of is similar to a 762 pole vault inside the mag?

Feed ramps?
    Any pics?
    are you using the magazine as a forward grip? If you are, stop using it.

My thoughts about your active topics elsewhere:
    doubt gas setting is doing this.
    if the lower receiver was not inside tolerances, all the rounds would do this start to finish.

Jarod, by the way there is more info over at Calguns. Stumbled on it in Google search.
    Last edited by Kakashi66218; 02-03-2017 at 01:27 AM.
    It's not the things I did that keep me up at night.. it's the things I didn't do, but could have done, that's what has me losing sleep. - Me

I support veteran owned businesses. They supported America. Thank you for your service.
    Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by Kakashi66218 View Post

Jarod, by the way there is more info over at Calguns. Stumbled on it in Google search.
    I told him to come here from Calguns
    Kakashi66218 thanked this.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...fles-magazine/

Full disclosure here: There was a time when I often held my issued carbine this way during Close Quarters Battle (CQB) work. I simply found it more comfortable to hold my CAR-15 by the mag when my arm fatigued during hours-long clearing operations. But, I began to notice a pattern of malfunctions during live-fire CQB training. We were using unreliable frangible ammunition much of the time, so I credited bad ammo with the failures-to-feed. Then I saw the same problem while shooting M855 “green tip”—as well as specialty munitions—but only while I was in shoot-and-move mode. I could not replicate the problem with every magazine, nor while kneeling or prone on the range. A visit to the armorers and a bit of question-and-answer revealed I was the problem. Of course, I was way too cool for that to be possible, but an astute gunsmith patiently explained that holding my magazines with the support hand was exacerbating the slop built into them and the rifle’s mag well. The excess play is what allows mass-produced guns and magazines to work well together under normal circumstances. Pulling back on the magazine to help steady a rifle and control recoil, however, causes the mag’s front edge to tilt downward. This lowers cartridges to the point where either case mouths or bullet tips can hang up during feeding. The explanation did not convince me, but a quick trip to the range with some problem magazines did. The armorers were 100-percent spot-on. My AR worked fine when I did not touch the magazines, but malfunctioned when I used them to pull the gun in tight to my shoulder.
    It's not the things I did that keep me up at night.. it's the things I didn't do, but could have done, that's what has me losing sleep. - Me

I support veteran owned businesses. They supported America. Thank you for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher5 View Post
    Are you sure the mags are fully seated in the magwell?
    These are SCAR mags and not FAL mags, right?
    Did you take the mags apart to clean them? Are the followers in correctly?
    You mention a "bullet button", are you in Kalif? If so, are you sure that it's installed correctly?
    Not trying to be a smartass, but sometimes the simplest thing is the problem. I have both the SCAR's and can't envision any way the bullet nose would nose-down an inch into the mag.

I am located in southern Calif.
    I did not take mags apart to clean or oil them because they were 5 brand new FN SCAR17 mags--I tried all 5 and its extremely unlikely all 5 would malfunction the exact same way.
    It appears the bullet button work properly. Lan World, The company in Utah that installed the bullet button told me they have installed over 1000 bullet buttons and 100% worked fine.,
    I am not holding or tilting the mag.
    Remember this key fact: the mags strip just fine 100% of time when bolt is pulled back by hand and released.

I posted this issue on Cal Guns and got many replies and the consensus was my problem is either:
    1. a too tight ejector or a too tight ejector spring ( I called FN and their gunsmith told me they mill their ejector and ejector spring to very tight tolerances ( so may be sticking and not ejecting shell fast enough and next round hits it at its top which forces the tip down and it nosedives into the mag.
    2. Too much gas--not allowing adequate time four the next round too rise up and so hits the round at its top forcing its tip to drop and hit the feed ramp in a down angle and dive into thev mag.
    3. Too little gas which does bot allow enough time for the bullet to rise all the ay up so hits the round in the tip forcing its tip to drop and hit the feed ramp in a down angle and dive into thev mag.

I called FN and their gunsmith told me he didn't know the cause of my faille to feed (nose down) problem but suggested I "break in" the SCAR's tight parts by firing 200 rounds of 7.62 NATO ammo thru it. He told me the SCAR17 works much better with 7.62 ammo than 308.
    Last edited by buffalo; 02-03-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: clarify

Quote Originally Posted by Kakashi66218 View Post
    Im guessing the jam you speak of is similar to a 762 pole vault inside the mag?

Feed ramps?
    Any pics?
    are you using the magazine as a forward grip? If you are, stop using it.

My thoughts about your active topics elsewhere:
    doubt gas setting is doing this.
    if the lower receiver was not inside tolerances, all the rounds would do this start to finish.
    Again in red^.. This may help.

Pure out of my tail guess here and a huge long shot, another thought is it possible you have a 16 recoil spring in a 17? You say the Utah company handles 1000s of rifles could have been a unintentional mistake if 2 scars where side by side. Looks like less than $10 online. Anyone thoughts or expirence?

Justincase below is the 17 spring only
    FNH SCAR 17 S Return Spring

** same as diagnosing a hiss or clunk sound in a GD car forum...
    Last edited by Kakashi66218; 02-03-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: **

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links