New scar 17 Double ramp feed issue. New to Fnforum

FN Forum

Google Search

Unhappy New scar 17 Double ramp feed issue. New to Fnforum

Hey guys and gals!, New to Fnforum so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right thread, if so sorry in advance and please point me in the right direction.
    (also sorry that my first post is a issue with this amazing gun)

Finally a member on here as I just picked up a brand new scar 17s not too long ago and fired maybe around 30 or less rounds through it. I cleaned and oiled the gun with CLP when I first got it before taking it to the range.

I'm not sure if maybe I need to break in the gun first but when I used PMC Gold .308 168gr I wasn't even able to go through 10 rounds as it always ended up double ramp feeding and jamming. When I fired the first round it ended up halfway ejecting with the end of the round(bottom of the round) getting caught. I changed to a different magazine with the same results, these are brand new magazines by FN. Lame of me, I forgot to snap pics of the double ramp feed when I was at the range.

Finally I decided to switch ammo and used Federal Ammo xm80c 7.62 x 51mm 149gr. I loaded it up in all mags and it went through without a problem with all mags.

A buddy of mines told me why not try putting in the federal ammo with a couple PMC gold .308 to see if it would work.

All of the Federal worked but I had problems when I fired the PMC gold as it gets stuck ejecting. Every round I pulled out that got stuck was the PMC Gold .308.

Not sure if I'm making a novice mistake or is there possibly a problem with it. Thanks in advance for any help!

168gr bullets can be loaded long and get caught up feeding. What do they mic out in OAL?

I actually don't have a RCBS precision mic so I don't know sorry...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by heyasiankid View Post
    I actually don't have a RCBS precision mic so I don't know sorry...
    With some rounds in the mag see if they drag when they feed. What I meant was just use calipers and measure total length from tip to base. Anything over 2.8" wont fit in mags for me

Quote Originally Posted by vertigosol View Post
    With some rounds in the mag see if they drag when they feed. What I meant was just use calipers and measure total length from tip to base. Anything over 2.8" wont fit in mags for me
    Hmm maybe it's rounds dragging. The PMC Gold measure to be 2.87", but the federal ammo is a little longer than that but it works fine. Could it be the diameter of the .308?

Do you have your gas piston switched on the correct setting? PMC ammo is known to be lighter loaded and soft shooting, and if youre on the "suppressed" setting, it may not be cycling the carrier all the way back to eject the round. If the round fits in the mag, it should cycle into the gun with no issues. M80 Ball of any sort is typically extremely hot, and will cycle in either setting.

Sponsored Links