failure to feed on a new SCAR 17

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree8Thanks
  • 7 Post By buffalo
  • 1 Post By BigBuckeyeGuy

Thread: failure to feed on a new SCAR 17

failure to feed on a new SCAR 17

On 2/2/17 I posted a new post regarding my failure to feed problem on my brand new SCAR 17.
    Thank you all for the tremendous number of replies and the many helpful suggestions as to what the problem might be.

I found the problem. It was the after market bullet button.

After making it featureless to keep it legal, I installed the factory mag release and went to the range and it fed and shot flawlessly and perfectly, with not one failure to feed. Once I fopukd the problem I then installed a new Radliock brand bullet button on it to keep it legal.
    I fell in love with this rifle as its TRULY AN AWESOME GUN, extremely high quality, very accurate right out of the box, low recoil, and a lot of fun to own and shoot! Plus its neat looking.

My guess is that the atermarket bullet buttons mag catch was either keeping the shells or the spring from properly rising or maybe it was holding the mag either tot low or to high to feed properly. I had been getting failure to feed ( nose down) every other round. Many, including myself had thought the problem was either too much gas or too little gas--but it wasn't--the high quality factory SCAR 17 would have shoot fine if it hadn't been for the stupid after market bullet button. (In hindsight, I should have trusted in the extremely high quality of the FN guns and looked first at aftermarket modifications.)

Thanks again to all of you.
    Last edited by buffalo; 03-10-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Congrats for figuring out what your problem was. Now you can fix it and move on. Nice work and thanks for posting what you figured out buffalo!
    macman1138 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
    On 2/2/17 I posted a new post regarding my failure to feed problem on my brand new SCAR 17.
    Thank you all for the tremendous number of replies and the many helpful suggestions as to what the problem might be.

I installed the factory mag release and went to the range and it fed and shot flawlessly and perfectly, with not one failure to feed.

I fell in love with this rifle as its TRULY AN AWESOME GUN, extremely high quality, very accurate right out of the box, low recoil, and a lot of fun to own and shoot! Plus its neat looking.

My guess is that the atermarket bullet buttons mag catch was either keeping the shells or the spring from properly rising or maybe it was holding the mag either tot low or to high to feed properly. I had been getting failure to feed ( nose down) every other round. Many, including myself had thought the problem was either too much gas or too little gas--but it wasn't--the high quality factory SCAR 17 would have shoot fine if it hadn't been for the stupid after market bullet button. (In hindsight, I should have trusted in the extremely high quality of the FN guns and looked first at aftermarket modifications.)

I plan to install Radlock on it now that i found the problem.

Very happy that you found the issue and the solution. You do have a dependable and awesome weapon! I did the research before I bought mine and what really convinced me that many times I was told that if there was only rifle that they could own, it would be the SCAR 17. Get the KDG replacement stock and the Super SCAR Trigger when you can.
    Last edited by macman1138; 03-08-2017 at 06:49 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalo View Post

I installed the factory mag release and went to the range and it fed and shot flawlessly and perfectly, with not one failure to feed.

I plan to install Radlock on it now that i found the problem.

Knew the magazine release was the culprit from the way you were describing the malfunction. Glad you got it sorted out.

Sponsored Links