Muzzle device adhesive

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree21Thanks

Thread: Muzzle device adhesive

Muzzle device adhesive

Instead of Rocksett, would some red loctite from my local hardware store work for attaching a flash hider? Thanks for your input

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    no, heat will kill it

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    no, heat will kill it
    I would have thought that would be fine since it is used for heat applications like headers etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Only good to 500F (if you are lucky) so Rockset is better for firearm applications where extreme heat is involved.
    Shortdustoff thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Even with red Loctite, there are several different products... 2620 is their ultra high temperature product that has a temperature resistance up to 650F. There are so many factors that come into play with barrel temperature and what it might be at the threads of a flash suppressor, but Rock Island Arsenal did some studies in the 70s that showed barrel temperature to reach about 650F when 280 rounds were fired at a rate of one round every 6 seconds measured close to the breach. At that rate of fire, it was under 400F beyond 14 inches from the breach. Again, so many factors to contend with, but I've used 2620 and had no problems on a fairly slow-fire precision rifle even with a suppressor. Although I like Rocksett for many purposes, it has not held up well under similar circumstances...
    Shortdustoff thanked this.
    - - - - -

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    American Conservative Union Sponsoring Member
    Virginia Citizens Defense League Member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life Member
    Gun Owners of America Life Member

“...the people are the rightful masters of both Congresses, and courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it.” ~Abraham Lincoln~

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoefner View Post
    Even with red Loctite, there are several different products... 2620 is their ultra high temperature product that has a temperature resistance up to 650F. There are so many factors that come into play with barrel temperature and what it might be at the threads of a flash suppressor, but Rock Island Arsenal did some studies in the 70s that showed barrel temperature to reach about 650F when 280 rounds were fired at a rate of one round every 6 seconds measured close to the breach. At that rate of fire, it was under 400F beyond 14 inches from the breach. Again, so many factors to contend with, but I've used 2620 and had no problems on a fairly slow-fire precision rifle even with a suppressor. Although I like Rocksett for many purposes, it has not held up well under similar circumstances...
    Could you expound on the Rocksett and " not held up well under similar circumstances..."?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Rocksett and proper torque will not come off. That is what we recommend to everyone and use personally.
    Hoefner, FS2KSTD, Rattyxj00 and 1 others thanked this.
    Silencer Shop
    Stocking distributor for AAC, Bowers, Gemtech, Griffin Armament, Knight's Armament, Rugged Suppressors, SIG SAUER Silencers, SureFire, Tactical Solutions, Thompson Machine, Thunder Beast Arms, Yankee Hill Machine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    /

512-931-4556

Incredible temperature resistance, -350 degrees F up to 2,015 degrees F. <------ That's why rocksett is used and not Loctite. You'll destroy your barrel before it comes off.

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    Could you expound on the Rocksett and " not held up well under similar circumstances..."?
    Interesting notes regarding Rocksett... thanks for the information.

Here's the n=1 situation... Shooting 6.5 Creedmoor with a buddy--I was using an RPR with a Gemtech Quicksand suppressor and he had Savage Saber with Surefire SOCOM300-SPS suppressor. I used 2620 and he had put his flash hider/muzzle brake on with Rocksett. After about a hundred rounds, the brake on his rifle loose enough to be turned by hand. Perhaps it hadn't been properly torqued...

As I mentioned, I like Rocksett and have never had a problem with it and was unaware that it had temperature resistance between -350 to 2,015 °F. I've used it on bolts on my GSX1000 and have been able to remove them, so I'm curious about the comment that "You'll destroy your barrel before it comes off." Really?
    - - - - -

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    American Conservative Union Sponsoring Member
    Virginia Citizens Defense League Member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life Member
    Gun Owners of America Life Member

“...the people are the rightful masters of both Congresses, and courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it.” ~Abraham Lincoln~

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoefner View Post
    it hadn't been properly torqued...
    When properly applied and the muzzle device installed, Rocksett will not fail. It requires a tremendous amount of sheer force to break the bond. On Mk17 barrels, it requires the use of a 3' cheater bar after soaking in 200° water for 2 hours to remove the ECP hider. The ECP hiders installed on commercial barrels offered by FN as a replacement such as the 13" CQC and 20" LB variants do not have thread locking compound present.
    akitainu, Hoefner and FS2KSTD thanked this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links