FN Voids Warranty if Suppressor Used - Page 4

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree207Thanks

Thread: FN Voids Warranty if Suppressor Used

Nope; their factory manual for the Scar17s says basically any modification catchall. The DOD manual for the MK17 has a ton of info on suppression (you know that gas port setting on the scar 17s).

https://87gn.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/scarmanual.pdf

figure 5-55 or page 147.
    Last edited by badz2801; 03-16-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    Fbody93 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublesx10 View Post
    Theoretically- would that apply to tigger upgrade, honestly speaking ?
    Maybe...but the SuperScar trigger components are supposedly tested and the design has been created that that malfunction is extremely low.

STL......if you don't mind explaining.......outside of the trigger module being semi only in the 17S, what are the differences between the SCAR Heavy and the 17S? I'm just trying to learn and have never handled the military version. Does it have a different barrel assembly including gas port sizes and gas piston, a different carrier/bolt assembly, a different upper receiver? Just wondering if anything is "beefier" on the military version for harder duty? Thanks and I appreciate your input.
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaflowers View Post
    STL......if you don't mind explaining.......outside of the trigger module being semi only in the 17S, what are the differences between the SCAR Heavy and the 17S? I'm just trying to learn and have never handled the military version. Does it have a different barrel assembly including gas port sizes and gas piston, a different carrier/bolt assembly, a different upper receiver? Just wondering if anything is "beefier" on the military version for harder duty? Thanks and I appreciate your input.
    Jason
    The weapons are identical in materials, processing and dimensional tolerances. Aside from the carrier on the Mk17 and SCAR 17 being fitted with a tungsten weight at the rear (welded) to keep the cyclic rate within design parameters, the carriers is also identical in material to the SCAR 17S aside from no auto provision being present on the 17S. The upper receivers are identical in material, machining process, fixturing, tolerances, and anodizing. Aside from the upper being machined to accept the Mk17 polymer module (the deck height on the Mk17, 16, Mk20 are all taller but I will not state the dimensional difference). Buttstocks, rails, sights, rear and front plates, fasteners, torque specifications... everything is identical between the Mk17, SCAR 17, and SCAR 17S. The 556 and 762 weapons share parts commonality and I believe it was Tallhoffer that listed them on the forum and the mods made it a sticky.
    HK SD9 Tactical and jaflowers thanked this.

STL
    Quote Originally Posted by badz2801 View Post
    I think FNH may be omitting something but I cannot understand why they would release a rifle in the US market which was not rated for suppression on the stock 16" barrel.

The MK17 may have different design specifications v.s. the scar 17 such as the gas jets; aside from the full auto capability.

Smells like soft carriers
    It smells like an over-pressure event to me. The bolt speed had to exceed design parameters in order to damage the cam pin path and/or the cam pin itself. What is true is we've seen weapons on the commercial side be subjected to all sorts of stupid and the one thing that is always a constant - the manufacturer (FN) is always to blame. It's never the the loose nut behind the weapon. It's never the end user taking blame for their lack of knowledge or indolent behavior either at the loading bench, or their poor choice of steel cased ammunition, or common sense. It's always FN's fault...
    Jeremy M., Fröman and SFCBush thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    It smells like an over-pressure event to me. The bolt speed had to exceed design parameters in order to damage the cam pin path and/or the cam pin itself. What is true is we've seen weapons on the commercial side be subjected to all sorts of stupid and the one thing that is always a constant - the manufacturer (FN) is always to blame. It's never the the loose nut behind the weapon. It's never the end user taking blame for their lack of knowledge or indolent behavior either at the loading bench, or their poor choice of steel cased ammunition, or common sense. It's always FN's fault...
    The original poster claimed he/she was 60 rounds into a new gun with a SilencerCo suppressor attached (Omega) and noticed the bolt being stuck I would assume when cleaning. Several other posters have confirmed they have had the same issue with a seized bolt. Sure he/she could be omitting information on something he/she did which made things worse. There could have been a defect from the start. I guess that's one reason to field strip and clean a brand new gun. The suppressor is going to generate greater pressures in general with factory brass ammo. The greater pressure may have an negative impact on the caming surface of the carrier; possibly due to softer carriers. FNH has released a recall in the past regarding soft bolts. FNH has to protect itself understandably however denying warranty for suppressor use in a US market isn't going to sit well with consumers. Actually they can deny warranty if you change anything on the rifle; its at their discretion based on the wording in the civilian manual.

IF you send a gun back to FNH its probably best to return it to 100% factory configuration.

Good info on the MK17 I didn't know about the tungsten weight on the carrier. The increase in weight would also possibly help with greater pressures from a suppressor I would think?

Difference between 17S and MK17 and the colors.

Still love the Scar but if shooting suppressed i'd be looking to change out the gas jets to lesson the impact on parts or buy a bunch of $500 carriers.
    Last edited by badz2801; 03-17-2017 at 07:03 AM.
    Patton250 thanked this.

Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, Courtyard, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    Does anyone know what and if the gas jet size difference might be in the 10 o'clock gas regulator position between the civilian 17s and the military 17 Heavy?

since in the 17S civilian owners manual FNH doesn't mention 1 thing about the 10 o'clock gas regulator position but the 17 Heavy military owners manual talks and show illustrations on this being for Suppressor use I wonder if the 17s civilian version gas block,is jetted the same as the 17 heavy military version?

Maybe this would help prevent issues running a Suppressor on a civilian SCAR 17S.....these allow you to tune the gas regulator by switching out the jets. You could make the 10 o'clock position on the gas regulator a real Suppressor mode.

now to just figure out which size jet to use. Anyone know the gas jet size for sure on what the military SCAR 17 Heavy uses in the gas regulator at the 10 o'clock,position?

https://www.handldefense.com/product...s-control-jet/

STL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdrums View Post
    Does anyone know what and if the gas jet size difference might be in the 10 o'clock gas regulator position between the civilian 17s and the military 17 Heavy?

since in the 17S civilian owners manual FNH doesn't mention 1 thing about the 10 o'clock gas regulator position but the 17 Heavy military owners manual talks and show illustrations on this being for Suppressor use I wonder if the 17s civilian version gas block,is jetted the same as the 17 heavy military version?
    I'll state it again in case anyone missed it the first time...

The SCAR 17S, the Mk17, AND the SCAR 17 are identical in every way aside from the obvious differences to allow select fire mode in the Mk17 and SCAR 17. The SCAR 17 is the
    commercially available select fire weapon available to qualified commercial customers and the only difference between it and the MK17 would be the markings on the upper receiver, the selector cam, and the corresponding markings on the trigger module.

Muzzle device is obviously different on the various models.
    Last edited by STL; 03-17-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    Rattyxj00 and Mdrums thanked this.

Thanks STL...yep I read your recent post and the compare review back in 2013. Very cool thanks....but nothing was mentions about the gas regulator jet sizes...so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks Mike

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links