FN Forum

Google Search
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree210Thanks

Thread: FN Voids Warranty if Suppressor Used

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badz2801 View Post
    The original poster claimed he/she was 60 rounds into a new gun with a SilencerCo suppressor attached (Omega) and noticed the bolt being stuck I would assume when cleaning. Several other posters have confirmed they have had the same issue with a seized bolt. Sure he/she could be omitting information on something he/she did which made things worse. There could have been a defect from the start. I guess that's one reason to field strip and clean a brand new gun. The suppressor is going to generate greater pressures in general with factory brass ammo. The greater pressure may have an negative impact on the caming surface of the carrier; possibly due to softer carriers. FNH has released a recall in the past regarding soft bolts. FNH has to protect itself understandably however denying warranty for suppressor use in a US market isn't going to sit well with consumers. Actually they can deny warranty if you change anything on the rifle; its at their discretion based on the wording in the civilian manual.

IF you send a gun back to FNH its probably best to return it to 100% factory configuration.

Good info on the MK17 I didn't know about the tungsten weight on the carrier. The increase in weight would also possibly help with greater pressures from a suppressor I would think?

Difference between 17S and MK17 and the colors.

Still love the Scar but if shooting suppressed i'd be looking to change out the gas jets to lesson the impact on parts or buy a bunch of $500 carriers.
    That original poster is omitting something he did to the weapon to cause the issue he has with his weapon. Whatever it was he did or didn't do, that's on him and anyone who owns a suppressor and uses it extensively on a gas gun also understands the effect of installing a suppressor on the weapon causes. His lack of knowledge does not translate to FN being culpable for the damage he caused to his weapon, whether it was his ammunition, his lack of lubricating the weapon, or anything else.

The tungsten weight is installed in the Mk 17 and SCAR 17 carriers to maintain a constant cyclic rate when the weapon is placed on automatic.

Contrary to internet myth, NSW Operators never fire the Mk17 on automatic during missions - NEVER.

The suppressive fire role is exclusive to the AWs, being the Mk46 and Mk48.

Until consumers stop doing stupid things with weapons, manufacturers will continue to take the position they take on weapon modifications since the manufacturer has zero control over what the consumer is doing with the weapon.
    Fröman thanked this.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Has any forum member had a part damaged due to firing suppressed? I've sold silencers to tons of SCAR owners that haven't had any issue.
    Silencer Shop
    Stocking distributor for AAC, Bowers, Gemtech, Griffin Armament, Knight's Armament, Rugged Suppressors, SIG SAUER Silencers, SureFire, Tactical Solutions, Thompson Machine, Thunder Beast Arms, Yankee Hill Machine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    /

512-931-4556

Quote Originally Posted by JonM View Post
    That is not a suppressor setting. it is for adverse conditions. like shooting a lot and needs extra gas to function
    I thought the suppressor setting allowed less gas not more?
    akitainu thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    That original poster is omitting something he did to the weapon to cause the issue he has with his weapon. Whatever it was he did or didn't do, that's on him and anyone who owns a suppressor and uses it extensively on a gas gun also understands the effect of installing a suppressor on the weapon causes. His lack of knowledge does not translate to FN being culpable for the damage he caused to his weapon, whether it was his ammunition, his lack of lubricating the weapon, or anything else.
    You are definitely more knowledgeable about the SCAR than I am so I will take you word on this for sure. That being said is it possible that this could be a problem with QC? Seeing as there already was a recall on the weapons due to soft bolt carriers it seems to me that there is a possibility that this weapon could have been sitting at the dealer for a while before this guy bought it and should have been recalled or perhaps a bad bolt carrier slipped through FN. I will never discount the importance of lubricating your weapon but isn't 60 rounds is awfully quick to have a malfunction like this due to lack of lubrication? The 60 round thing is what I cannot get over, even over-gassed with a suppressor 60 rounds is a very short time for a failure like this.

Until consumers stop doing stupid things with weapons, manufacturers will continue to take the position they take on weapon modifications since the manufacturer has zero control over what the consumer is doing with the weapon.
    I agree 100%. Having followed the facebook thread closely the guy does not appear to be a blithering idiot (although had he researched more he would have known to put the gun back to factory condition before sending it in) so I don't think he is one of the guys who ruins it for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdrums View Post
    I was on the Scar Facebook page and a guys bolt locked up on his SCAR17 when using his Sico Omega. He sent the rifle back to FN and they voided his warranty and wanted $1000 to fix. FN says the SCAR is not designed to use suppressed and changing the stock muzzle brake voids the warranty.

can you believe this!?!?

i know plenty of SCAR rifles have been used suppressed over the years and on the battlefield.

so with that said...I just got my tax stamp for my Dead Air Sandman L. It comes with the Dead Air Brake so the Sandman L can install on the rifle. The gun shop installed the brake for me and used the stock jam nut. Now I've read on this forum not to use the stock jam nut.

Can someone one point me in the correct direction on if I should install the Dead Air FLASHHIDER.....instead of the Dead Air BRAKE?
    And this is precisely why I will never ever ever ever ever ever never never never never never buy another FN product. The level of arrogance at their company is mind blowing. And I don't want to hear from anybody trying to defend their policy because it will fall upon deaf ears. I deal with many different products in this world including many different brands of firearms and I can tell you with vast experience that FN's warranty policy compared to everybody else I deal with sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if they will void the warranty if you have the audacity to put glass on top of their products.
    Mdrums and Hairlesswookiee thanked this.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack."
    - General George S Patton

"Errors In Complex Genetic Code Produce More Complexity" - An Atheist

Morality does not derive from consensus

Morality is nothing more than expressions of people's personal taste/ Right?

My all time favorite forum quote.

Originally Posted by akitainu
    As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo, I will have one.

Contrary to internet myth, NSW Operators never fire the Mk17 on automatic during missions - NEVER.
    I think it's cool that you are able to go on every freaking mission they go on to witness that. I hope you got a Polaroid.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack."

Quote Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
    I think it's cool that you are able to go on every freaking mission they go on to witness that. I hope you got a Polaroid.
    How much suppression do you really think you achieve running FA on a gun that has 20rnd mags?

STL
    Quote Originally Posted by LargemouthAss View Post
    Seeing as there already was a recall on the weapons due to soft bolt carriers...
    The recall was due to a small number of BOLTS being improperly heat treated, NOT carriers
    LargemouthAss thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by 262 View Post
    How much suppression do you really think you achieve running FA on a gun that has 20rnd mags?
    I really don't know nor do I care. We all significantly overpaid for a very cool looking 308 platform. We are all under the impression that it was designed to shoot suppressed. It's sad that this company puts a suppressor setting on it but then will void your warranty if you replace the break in order to shoot it suppressed. What a joke. There are lots of other 308 platforms. I highly recommend not spending $3000 on the scar 17 if you hope to do anything to it and it still be under warranty.
    ivan51 and Performify thanked this.

STL
    Quote Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
    You just can't help yourself, can you. Gotta be petty any chance you get and take a shot as usual. Just because you're not privy to certain information, you feel you're entitled to call me out as making a false statement.

Get a life already and grow up. Nobody cares if you're going to buy X,Y,Z for whatever butthurt reason you can come up with.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links