Sandman suppressor

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: Sandman suppressor

Sandman suppressor

Ok so i got my new 17S and i want to know whether to put a sandman S or a Sandman L i want to be able to shoot the rifle without hearing protection but i also dont want to lose versatility and the L is long any advise

Quote Originally Posted by Usmchammer View Post
    Ok so i got my new 17S and i want to know whether to put a sandman S or a Sandman L i want to be able to shoot the rifle without hearing protection but i also dont want to lose versatility and the L is long any advise
    I've shot my Scar without hearing protection a few times running different suppressors. It's unpleasant! I find the Scar much more unpleasant than a 308 bolt gun running the same suppressor. I always wear plugs unless I'm shooting something subsonic.

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So i guess my question would be whats the point of dropping the cash on a suppressor if i still cant shoot without ear pro

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

You can still shoot without ear pro but super sonic ammo will still be above the "safety" threshold.

Theory is a suppressor will improve accuracy of the weapon, it will reduce recoil as adding weight always does, it will slightly increase velocity and lastly it will GREATLY reduce the sound.

Reducing the sound will make a difference hunting if you have a bad shot, animals seem confused as to where the shot/noise came from sometimes giving you that critical 2nd shot. For me it's been great it the woods as I've taken multiple animals within minutes that weren't scattered by the initial shots.

ETA.....for maximum suppression you'll want the full length suppressor. I use a 7" Ultra on my scars but my woods/hunting/target guns get the 9" 30P-1/Ultra upgraded.
    Last edited by jaflowers; 06-03-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Ok thanks for the input i have read that this rifle is very hard to suppress as it is so im sure this will be an adventure

Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, Courtyard, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    I run a Sandman L on my SCAR17. I haven't shot it with our hearing protection but the SCAR is much more comfortable to shoot with the Sandman L and it's more comfortable for everyone at the range...especially when I got to a indoor range.

when I did my research on Suppressor I kept finding the Sandman L is one of the best if not the best Suppressor for the Scar 17. It's extremely well built and backed by a great company. When you get your Sandman be sure to call Dead Air and ask for the SCAR specified Flash Hider. Due to the SCAR barrel shoulder Dead Air has made a Flash Hider specifically that fits the SCAR. It works perfectly
    jaflowers and IrishMedicRN thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Usmchammer View Post
    Ok thanks for the input i have read that this rifle is very hard to suppress as it is so im sure this will be an adventure
    Really, the SCAR actually suppresses pretty easily as FNH did design it with suppression in mind. For me, the suppressors I chose required a larger barrel shoulder to seat against so I bought and use the KDB SCAR shoulder ring on both of mine. Works perfect.

Once suppressed you'll probably think about reducing the gas and PMM makes great gas screws. Seems like 1.35 to 1.4 works for a lot of people.

After you get it all together, the bolt carrier slamming rounds in the chamber is what's loud when you're shooting. It's really an eye opener when you stand 6 feet from someone shooting it, then you realize just how quiet it really is.
    IrishMedicRN thanked this.

The only supersonic round that doesn't really hurt my ears is the 300 blackout. You really can tell it was designed as a suppressed cartridge.

I practically never shoot my Scar unsuppressed. Why suppress it, because it's obnoxious as H*LL without it, especially with the factory brake. Suppressing make it a much more pleasant experience for everyone. The suppressor reduces recoil as well like others have said. You can shoot it without ear pro, but you're gonna pay for it if you do it for a sustained length of time. Just because it doesn't hurt, doesn't mean it's not causing damage. Ask me how I know.....but you're gonna have to speak up!

GregM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a Sandman S on my stock length barrel with a TA11EG. MUCH more pleasant to shoot with it on. The Dead Air mount is one if not the best mount on the market. Get the Scar specific mount so it indexes off the muzzle. No need to worry about the shoulder. Dead Air CS is awesome. They swapped the brake that came with my can straight up. Just give them a call. Like others said, it's not hearing safe. I doubt the L would be either. I like the deeper tone on the S and the length and weight savings over the L if you plan to shoot standing. You need ear pro regardless so why add more length and weight? I thought about cutting and pinning my barrel, but it shoots so nicely with the can on now why mess with it. It's a tad unbalanced, but not bad at all. And I didn't want to mess with the gas jets.

Well i definitely dont want to make my hearing worse my ears already ring from my military time only real experience with suppressors is on a M4 and they didnt seem to bother me when there suppressed as i dont think i will be doing much standing with this rifle so im thinking i will stick with the L i didnt know you had to adjust the gas either so thats good to know you would think FN would have put an adjustable gas sytem on it like Sig or POF i also didnt know about the flash hider either so i will get that ordered thanks for all the input and help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links