A routine range session and malfunctions

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree18Thanks

Thread: A routine range session and malfunctions

A routine range session and malfunctions

Took the 17 to the range today just to keep acquainted with the girl. Fired about 50 rds of mixed German bunker ammo (M80 Nato German) and GGG Lithuanian M80 ball. About every 5th rd I was getting stove pipes and at the end of a mag I would notice that there was a non ejected brass still in the gun. I have used both of these previously with no problems. Was using a 10 rd range mag so switched to a 20 rd with the same problem. Wasn't sure what to do so I switched the gas setting from 12 o'clock to the suppressed setting and the malfunctions ceased. Two things were different from previous sessions: 1. I hadn't cleaned the weapon from the last session and I routinely clean my guns so it is unusual for me not to have cleaned the gun.,2. I switched out the stock charging handle with the HDD charging handle duo, with a charging handle on both sides. It occurred to me after having left the range that having a charging handle on both sides may slow down the cycling speed. This malfunction is puzzling to me since I have never had a malfunction with the 17 before and I would appreciate any feedback.

I'm far from an expert, and just roaming the forum right now, but my two cents, even though you have used the ammo before...it's the ammo. If you tried different mags, I just can't see it being anything else. Possibly - but I doubt - if you were holding the rifle by the mag while you were shooting you may have rocked the mag into an awkward position - but I just don't think that's it - that's really reaching. And if possibly you have like 12,000 rounds thru the rifle and never cleaned the gas whole in the jets possibly ? I think it was just coincidence it didn't do it after you set it on suppressed. Only other thing I could think of, is you inadvertently didn't have the regulator set to completely 12 o'clock...like just a tad off at like 11:50 or something like that. The gas rings shouldn't be aligned evenly, but I really don't see that causing the problem really even if they were. And I guess let's see - no lube in the piston right ? And I don't even know if it's possible, but recoil guide rod not put in upside down inadvertently. If it's none of those silly things, I'd just try a different ammo. It's odd you haven't had trouble with that ammo prior to this, but I think that and mags and ammo are your first things to cross out of the list of could be's. We all know how reliable the SCAR is, and I think most will put their money on the ammo being the culprit, even if you had used it before with no problems. You said you didn't clean it after your last outing. Unless you fired 10,000 rounds your last outing I don't think that would really matter. Sorry you had trouble with the mighty 17. I'm betting ammo - simply because the SCAR is just that reliable. The double charging handle shouldn't do it. You just have some really weak charged ammo I think. Or improperly sized reloads mixed in ?

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Man View Post
    I'm far from an expert, and just roaming the forum right now, but my two cents, even though you have used the ammo before...it's the ammo. If you tried different mags, I just can't see it being anything else. Possibly - but I doubt - if you were holding the rifle by the mag while you were shooting you may have rocked the mag into an awkward position - but I just don't think that's it - that's really reaching. And if possibly you have like 12,000 rounds thru the rifle and never cleaned the gas whole in the jets possibly ? I think it was just coincidence it didn't do it after you set it on suppressed. Only other thing I could think of, is you inadvertently didn't have the regulator set to completely 12 o'clock...like just a tad off at like 11:50 or something like that. The gas rings shouldn't be aligned evenly, but I really don't see that causing the problem really even if they were. And I guess let's see - no lube in the piston right ? And I don't even know if it's possible, but recoil guide rod not put in upside down inadvertently. If it's none of those silly things, I'd just try a different ammo. It's odd you haven't had trouble with that ammo prior to this, but I think that and mags and ammo are your first things to cross out of the list of could be's. We all know how reliable the SCAR is, and I think most will put their money on the ammo being the culprit, even if you had used it before with no problems. You said you didn't clean it after your last outing. Unless you fired 10,000 rounds your last outing I don't think that would really matter. Sorry you had trouble with the mighty 17. I'm betting ammo - simply because the SCAR is just that reliable. The double charging handle shouldn't do it. You just have some really weak charged ammo I think. Or improperly sized reloads mixed in ?
    No lube on the piston. Only about 100 rds between cleaning. Was shooting from a bench rest with my left hand tucked under the butt stock. Plug sat as close to 12 oclock as I could see with almost 64 yr old eyes. My Hk 91 eats the German bunker ammo like it was made for it( come to think of it it is) but each gun is different. I have some Winchester 7.62 Nato and some Aussie stuff I have had rat holed for years. Could give them a try. Can you install the recoil assembly upside down ? Maybe I will give it a try. So the suppressed setting gives the gun less gas correct ? One thing I like about the FAL is being able to fine tune the gas system to a specific ammo. I was just going to have a leisurely range session and this pops up. Weird. Thanks for the response !
    Canyon Man thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Your HK 91 has a fluted chamber and will eat anything put in it lol. The SCAR is pretty generous with what ammo it eats too, pretty much everything - but probably not quite to the extent as the 91. I was really reaching on possibilities. My money just has to go on the ammo being the culprit. Back in the Sandy Hook crisis, I bought some ammo from a reputable gun store that turned out to be reloads...jammed my M1A, my FAL, and my cetme. Never had a jam in any of them until that day. We have some very knowledgeable ppl on this forum. If a change of ammo doesn't correct the issue, let us know.
    hillbillyjim, Kakashi66218 and LESTER thanked this.

You folks are probably on to something. I forgot I have some PPU and some(get this) Radway Green, also with a smattering of Izzy milsurp(TZ). Something else, the HDD charging handles were both pointing down and the weapon was sitting rather low on the rest. Dragging? No, I just couldn't be that stupid ? Or could I ?? Seriously, even though I have had my Scar for some time now I am still getting used to the reciprocating charging handle. Something kind of weird about it. Only other 308 battle rifle I have with one is my M1a but its different somehow. Stay cool Canyon Man. They say its gonna be a scorcher down your way.
    Last edited by Dean762; 06-19-2017 at 01:46 AM.
    Canyon Man thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Man View Post
    I was thinking much the same thing...the ammo. As silly as it sounds, ammo from Walmart than that other stuff. Winchester or Federal ammo has never let me down. I am thinking of buying in bulk soon and I'll go with some ball type of ammo from a brand name even if it costs a little more.

I can't understand anyone putting cheap, crummy ammo in such a fine firearm such as a SCAR and be bewildered when they have problems.
    Canyon Man thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by macman1138 View Post
    I was thinking much the same thing...the ammo. As silly as it sounds, ammo from Walmart than that other stuff. Winchester or Federal ammo has never let me down. I am thinking of buying in bulk soon and I'll go with some ball type of ammo from a brand name even if it costs a little more.

I can't understand anyone putting cheap, crummy ammo in such a fine firearm such as a SCAR and be bewildered when they have problems.
    I don't buy cheap ammo at Wally World. The bunker ammo is mil spec ball M80 and the GGG is also milspec M80 made in Lithuania, some of the best 7.62 I have ever fired in , Mia.HK 91 and FAL. They both carry the Nato cross( well the bunker ammo did but was sanitized by the Germans prior to export). Its possible this is an ammo issue but that has yet to be determined.
    Canyon Man thanked this.

Thanks for more information regarding the ammo Dean. I don't have much opinion on ammo. Different ppl view it different ways. Some say a $3000.00 should be able to eat anything. Some say don't use cheap ammo in it. Both ends of the spectrum have valid points. I use mostly ZQ, and Privi Partizan. I've tried about a dozen different brands just to see if the SCAR was finicky - so far it's eaten everything without a hiccup. I even shot 60 rounds of steel cased ammo just to see - it did fine. But at a thousand bucks a barrel I think we all try to feed our SCAR's an appropriate diet lol. My only other question regarding your malfunctions is this ? About how many rounds do you have thru your SCAR ? If you have like a couple thousand rounds thru your SCAR without any hiccups, it seems it has to be the ammo. If you have only 2 or 300 rounds thru it, and are having problems, perhaps some kind of quality control issue has slipped through the cracks at FN. But that's just so rare. I mean like almost unheard of rare on the SCAR's. But it can happen with any firearm or any company. I'm saying 90 percent or greater chance nothing wrong with the rifle I think. What's your rifle's track record ? How many rounds you have thru that bad boy ?

EDIT: This weeks forecast...116 degrees....We be shooting early morning's out here lol. Doesn't feel as bad once you're off the pavement and onto the desert dirt roads. But it's a special kind of hot alright. lol
    Last edited by Canyon Man; 06-20-2017 at 12:32 AM.

I have about 300 rd through it. Cycled fine till this last range session. Something I find interesting is how little info there is out there about malfunctions etc in the Scar 17. Maybe that's a tribute to the platform.
    Canyon Man thanked this.

Malfunctions are absolutely rare, and the lack of information found regarding malfunctions would indeed be a tribute I guess lol. Three hundred rounds isn't enough to have a long track record of reliability, but I do think you would have already had a problem if something was out of spec. I imagine you have already looked for any unusual wear marks and things of that nature. The SCAR's wear patterns are very evenly distributed on the carrier. Anything out of sink causing an unusual wear pattern should stand out enough to spot easily. Unfortunately you have the dreaded answer we all hate to hear...You're gonna' have to go out and shoot it again with different ammunition and see. Use different mags if you have them too. I'm kind of doubting a mag issue though, as I don't ever hear of anyone having a problem with their mags either. I can understand your faith in the ammo if you have shot it before with no problems, but understand where outsiders who own SCAR's are viewing it too. We truly don't ever have any malfunctions ever reported....so I guess we all naturally assume ammunition lol. I don't think I recall one being reported for pete's sake. I recall about 3 months back someone had a malfunction in a SCAR 16. I remember because I think I've never even heard of one before that lol. If it does turn out your SCAR runs flawlessly with different ammunition, please don't walk away from the experience thinking the SCAR is picky with what it likes to be fed. It just isn't so. A thread came up a long time ago here, and I just can't recall which thread or I'd link it, but it referred to what ammunition the SCAR was designed for - and I don't remember - but I'm assuming it was a NATO spec ammunition. That being said, people have shot a lot of different types of ammo threw the SCAR and malfunctions are just never reported. I've got about 3500 rounds through mine with never a hiccup, not even a weak ejection or anything. Pay careful attention to those dual canted charging handles as you shoot to rule out them dragging on the sand bags as it reciprocates. Possibly you get comfortable and the rifle settles in and didn't notice. That's a good possibility, but you are really the only one who would know how close they were to the bags as you were shooting. Please report back to us and let us know how your next outing goes. Take some of the ammunition you were shooting when you had the problems too. I'm hoping you report back that you shot 150 rounds of different ammo with no problem, then tried the same stuff you used and had a malfunction, then more of the new ammo with no problems again. That's the ideal outcome we all hope for. If your trouble persists, absolutely call FN. They will make it right. But keep us posted. A SCAR with a malfunction...Gees it's almost exciting news around here. I, and I'll bet everyone else is curious to the outcome. Please post back ! My money is on a flawless next outing. The SCAR truly is that reliable, and quality control issues truly are that rare. Thank you Sir, and good luck with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links