Elcan vs ACOG for Scar Heavy

FN Forum

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: Elcan vs ACOG for Scar Heavy

Elcan vs ACOG for Scar Heavy

I posted something similar in the optics forum, but wanted a Scar focused opinion. I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a year or so, mostly because I didn't have enough AR or Scar experience to add much. Shooting iron sites currently but I am strongly considering a 3.5X, 308 reticle ACOG, versus a 1.5-6 Elcan Spectre. I had a chance to look through both, mounted imperfectly on dummy rifles, in shop. The 1.5-6x mag for the 308 seems like a nice fit, a nice all around optic for the range, tactical classes/comps. But the ACOG seemed so much slicker and easier in terms of target aquisition and more forgiving eye relief. I wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare these two at the range or in the field. Any input would be much appreciated.

Tex
    If you can afford the Elcan go for it. Several members here use that rig and it is nice. Nothing wrong with the ACOG at all just no magnification with adding on. Ive got an Aimpoint Comp M3, Acog TA33R-9 and a Leupold MK4 LR 3.5x10 M1 IR and they all have their benefits. That said, I'm about to change again to a Leupold MK4 MR/T 1.5-5x for the best of both worlds at half the cost of an Elcan.

Thanks for the input. I'm almost afraid to check out the Leopold stuff for fear of option overload. The ACOG gives you 3.5 power fixed obviously. And the Elcan's 6x is great for reaching out better with the 308. But when
    I had the Elcan on 1.5X the eye relief seemed short and unforgiving. The opposite of an aimpoint in terms of friendliness. But this was with a dummy rifle and mounted way up the rail. The shop in town that carries these isn't all that helpful even though it's a 2k+ optic, AND I had already purchased my Scar there. Hoping for some comments reflecting real world use.
    Sentra52 and Brady thanked this.

I have the 1x4 on my 17. It has a terrific FOV. The advantage really comes in when you have targets that are 50 yds and under. I havent found a comparable solution with an ACOG+RDS as workable as the Elcan. Each one seems to have a fatal flaw.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64988

Post from a guy who carted a Mk17/Elcan combo in Afghanistan. A couple of posts down, he says it's a good optic, just heavy and pricey for what it is. His personal unit also had a bad POI shift, but he says a lot of the guys who were issued them liked them a lot.

Thanks all. Very cool link. I think read it months ago prior to owning my Scar. It was interesting then. Now it's a huge source of info.

Member Hits The Target CharlieB's Avatar
    Since you're looking at high end optics, have you considered Schmidt&Bender and Swarovski?

S&B has been promising their 1.1-8x24 Short Dot PM for over a year now, that looks like the pinnacle of optics right now, it would make a killer combo matched to the 17s.

Swarovski has had their 1-6x24 out for over a year now, I believe it's a bit lower priced than what the S&B will be.

For now I'm very happy with my AimPoint M4S (3x magnifier on its way) but if I could justify one of those european glasses I'd get the S&B.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum". If you want peace, prepare for war.

I played with the S&B a few times. It had a seriously unforgiving eyebox. I would need to see how production untis turn out in this regard before I ponied up the cash.

I would go with the Elcan on the 17s
    lefty thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bigdog

I would go with the Elcan on the 17s

I would concur. If you can afford an Elcan 1.5 - 6, it is money well spent.
    The scope can go from rifle to rifle if you sell or change rifles. I don't think it gets much better than this.

Double click pictures to open.

[URL=http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/?action=view&current=FNSCAR17S-ELCAN-15X-6XIMG_0039_Copy4.jpg][/URL

I hope this helps.
    Just a snapshot of what I have done. Doesn't mean it's right for you or anyone else. I am happy with it but then it is for me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links