How hot?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How hot?

How hot?

I wanted to ask a serious question on overheating the barrel and throat erosion/accuracy degradation. I've shot the 17 a few times now and I have to admit its an amazing rifle and tons of fun to shoot. Last week before I left for work I shot 7 rounds pretty quickly....I guess you could say it was rapid fire...ejected mag and checked the rifle then fired 7-8 more until mag was empty (didnt have it full) just as fast. Had some white smoke from the CLP and let the barrel brush my arm, which left a pretty nice red spot, when I reached down to pick up a couple of empty cases (still getting used to this sling...the Urban Sentry one btw, it is definitely amazing as well). Forgive my ignorance, I am mainly a hunter/bolt gun shooter so any info would be appreciated. I understand this may not be super serious but I would like something for future reference

Ive also read a good bit online, but it seems everyone has different opinions on limits...some really conservative, some "SHOOT IT".

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    ...and your question...?

Sorry Sgt., I was not very clear on specifics was I, haha....I mainly wanted to know what kind of shooting would be considered over the limits for overheating. That seems vague, I know, but I live in the deep south so standing outside for 30 mins will make the barrel hot. To be more specific...what kind of round count, in say 10 minutes, could I be looking at in this rifle before danger zones. I should also state that I am not expecting this rifle to be a tac driver but I would like to predator hunt (coyotes/hogs mainly) with it....some change to my normal 243 bolt

Thanks in advance

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    100 RPM for a sustained period would be too much considering where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseisLoose
    Sorry Sgt., I was not very clear on specifics was I, haha....I mainly wanted to know what kind of shooting would be considered over the limits for overheating. That seems vague, I know, but I live in the deep south so standing outside for 30 mins will make the barrel hot. To be more specific...what kind of round count, in say 10 minutes, could I be looking at in this rifle before danger zones. I should also state that I am not expecting this rifle to be a tac driver but I would like to predator hunt (coyotes/hogs mainly) with it....some change to my normal 243 bolt

Thanks in advance
    if you can afford the ammo to melt the barrel i would think you could afford a new 17s

its milspec, if it can survive in Afghanistan where i personally faced 130F in the shade temperatures, it will do just fine where you live
    Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead

FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnasty
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseisLoose

Thanks in advance
    if you can afford the ammo to melt the barrel i would think you could afford a new 17s

its milspec, if it can survive in Afghanistan where i personally faced 130F in the shade temperatures, it will do just fine where you live
    ++1

I appreciate the quick reply Sgt...I am having way to much fun with the 17, and while I do want to enjoy it, it was a rather "large" investment ...so, as with anything I purchase I want to take care of it as well. It sure does make the bolts seem rather...dull... haha

thanks for the tip wag...I see your point...I dont think I would be able to put it through anything close to what you guys do.

There are some ARDEC tests floating around where they tested the M4 barrel to failure. Not really an apples to apples comparison due to the caliber and operating system, but the M4 barrels ruptured after firing around 600 rounds in under 2 minutes full auto. I'll see if I can find an online link.

Stephen

According to the video is was a test by Colt Manufacturing. Not necessarily relevent to the SCAR FOW, but interesting none-the-less...

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/...ring-test.html

M4 535 rounds to failure

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/...ring-test.html

M4A1 911 rounds to failure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links