timney trigger for scar17 - Page 3

FN Forum

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree16Thanks

Thread: timney trigger for scar17

Timney trigger for SCAR

I have the Timney trigger in my SCAR 16S it feels a lot better than the original trigger. It has a smooth clean break with no creep. The downside is that I've had 6 light primer strikes out of 750 rnds (500 rnds of PMC .223 55gr 3 light primer strikes and 250 rnds of lake city 5.56 3 light primer strikes) since I installed it and never had one before. Not sure if it was due to the rounds or the trigger. Only 1 of the 6 I was able to fire a second time. Other than that it's really fast to rapid fire the trigger reset is unbeliveable short. I am planning to put one in my SCAR 17s.

Senior Member CAN KILL YOU WITH JUST HIS FINGER djpaintles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapperX View Post
    The downside is that I've had 6 light primer strikes out of 750 rnds (500 rnds of PMC .223 55gr 3 light primer strikes and 250 rnds of lake city 5.56 3 light primer strikes) since I installed it and never had one before.
    Reading this would be all I need to keep me away from a Timney in my SCARS.................DJ
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright moron."

--- H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    I need more than a one guy (with one post) to exclaim issues with the Timney trigger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

SHOPPING:

AUTHORIZED FN LE/Mil DISTRIBUTOR

07/02 SOT FIREARM MANUFACTURER

Law Enforcement / Military / Commercial Sales

O: 815-977-5167

Accepting All Major Credit Cards

Senior Member CAN KILL YOU WITH JUST HIS FINGER djpaintles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtStrykerUSMC43 View Post
    I need more than a one guy (with one post) to exclaim issues with the Timney trigger.

Fair point, but I'd also need to see several credible reports of no issues before I'd reconsider one.

When and if you can find one I KNOW the Geissele's are serious good. The KNOW makes them worth the extra cost and wait for me............................dj
    StrykerEnterprisesLLC thanked this.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright moron."

--- H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Agreed, dj.

SHOPPING:

AUTHORIZED FN LE/Mil DISTRIBUTOR

07/02 SOT FIREARM MANUFACTURER

Law Enforcement / Military / Commercial Sales

O: 815-977-5167

Accepting All Major Credit Cards

I think a single stage 3 lb trigger in a combat rifle is a bit too light, I like the idea of the Giessele two-stage better, unless you plan on using your SCAR as a DMR style.

Banned Bullseye Shooter
    The stock trigger isn't that bad.

Follow up post

Quote Originally Posted by SgtStrykerUSMC43 View Post
    2nd post - finished off the lake city 5.56 rounds.
    ACR - 100 rounds with 0 light primer strikes.
    Sig516- 100 rounds 0 light primer strikes.
    SCAR 16s with timney trigger- shot 10 rounds - 2 light primer strikes within the first 10 rounds. Tighten the two set screws (really really tight) and 0 light primer strikes for the next 200 rounds. A friend of mine who is a gun smith at a local gun store told me to do this due to the plastic on the SCAR. He said where normally the set screw tends to hold better against harder metals than the soft plastic. I'm an electrical engineer not mechanical so I trust what he told me to do he's been doing gun smithing for 20+ years.

Anyways I love the timney and still plan to put one in my SCAR 17s when they are available.

I hope this helps anyone who might have the problem that I had. I plan on shooting more this weekend (some PMC-XTAC) I Will post if I have any problems.
    Last edited by ScrapperX; 02-09-2012 at 05:26 PM.

I put a Timney in my 17. The Timney seems very nice, crisp with no creep as others have described. I haven't had an opportunity to get to the range since installation so I can't comment on light primer strikes yet. As soon as I have done so I'll post the results. However, I am concerned about the set screws since the receiver is plastic. When you get those set screws pretty tight there is detectable deformation in the plastic above the trigger. I'm concerned about the long term affects of this especially after repeated recoil and I may end up getting another Geissele as a result, especially if I do encounter light strikes. Does anyone have any thoughts on how much of an issue this could be based on their knowledge of the construction/material used for the lower?

If you're looking for the Timney, Midwest Gun Works had them in stock last I checked for $299.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapperX View Post
    2nd post - finished off the lake city 5.56 rounds.
    ACR - 100 rounds with 0 light primer strikes.
    Sig516- 100 rounds 0 light primer strikes.
    SCAR 16s with timney trigger- shot 10 rounds - 2 light primer strikes within the first 10 rounds. Tighten the two set screws (really really tight) and 0 light primer strikes for the next 200 rounds. A friend of mine who is a gun smith at a local gun store told me to do this due to the plastic on the SCAR. He said where normally the set screw tends to hold better against harder metals than the soft plastic. I'm an electrical engineer not mechanical so I trust what he told me to do he's been doing gun smithing for 20+ years.

Anyways I love the timney and still plan to put one in my SCAR 17s when they are available.

I hope this helps anyone who might have the problem that I had. I plan on shooting more this weekend (some PMC-XTAC) I Will post if I have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mgdive View Post
    I put a Timney in my 17. The Timney seems very nice, crisp with no creep as others have described. I haven't had an opportunity to get to the range since installation so I can't comment on light primer strikes yet. As soon as I have done so I'll post the results. However, I am concerned about the set screws since the receiver is plastic. When you get those set screws pretty tight there is detectable deformation in the plastic above the trigger. I'm concerned about the long term affects of this especially after repeated recoil and I may end up getting another Geissele as a result, especially if I do encounter light strikes. Does anyone have any thoughts on how much of an issue this could be based on their knowledge of the construction/material used for the lower?

If you're looking for the Timney, Midwest Gun Works had them in stock last I checked for $299.
    That was my first concern regarding the plastic when I first installed the Timney but I had to really tighten down those set screws to prevent the light primer strikes and I also see the deformation you are talking about. Although this was for the 16. I suspect the 17 would have a heavier hammer spring where you might not have those light primer strike. Then again the recoil of the 17 could cause the shift in the timney module just enough to get light primer strikes if you don't tighten the set screw enough. Please post your results after the range I'm hoping to put one in my 17s. btw a friend of my has the Geissele super scar trigger nice but the two stage has a really long pull for me that's why I went with the Timney. The super scar doesn't feel like the Geissele I have in my AR. It feels more like my glock 22. Well maybe not that bad just the lenght of pull is longer than I expected.
    Last edited by ScrapperX; 02-10-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links