Tactical Scope for Scar 17s - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree6Thanks

Thread: Tactical Scope for Scar 17s

This might help or make it worse.
    SCAR 17s Optic Thread Summary & Review

I was watching Stars Earn Stripes and saw that they were using Leupold HAMR Mark 4 scopes on the SCAR 16.
    Why is it that I have not seen this mentioned for the SCAR 17S? Is it that it is only calibrated for 5.56?

Nothing is wrong with the HAMR Mk4 .... Leroy Thompson ran a 17s test and evaluation Article, using the exact [scope] sight from big (L) Some folks like to dream big and talk about pricey glass . (just sayin') reference* Gun World Dec 2011
    Last edited by cleandean; 08-20-2012 at 06:59 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Don't join dangerous Cults,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    practice safe Sects
    . OllllllO

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

I put my IOR 1.5-8X from my 16 on my 17 this weekend. Worked great and I recorded the scope settings for a number of loads before returning it to the 16. Here is a picture of my son shooting it...

But on my 17 I'm probably gonna go with their 2-12x.

IOR scopes are sturdy, also heavy, but I really like the one I have. Great glass and turrets. Mine is in an ADM Recon QD mount, that is great too - I tried the Larue coolaid, it works great with my T-1, but I didn't like it when I had a mount for my TR24. JMO

Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Jgunselman View Post
    The Burris MTAC 1.5-6 is where my $ is going. I too am/was new to the optic shopping and wanted the best of both worlds, but by no means have the budget you have set out. While by no means an Acog or Eotech, the mtac seems to be the best middleground IMO. It has a 7.62 reticle and the x6 helps you reach out when you need to. Further the magnification adjustment is pretty beefy for easy grip and twist. I do not yet own this scope, but have read quite a few reviews regarding it and believe it my best option, in my situation (SHTF, plinking) I may down the road get a cheap little UAG reflex sight like below

How would the mount fair with the charging handle? Need to upgrade to Serges EACH?

Just flip it around. Makes absolutely no difference as long as the mount is a 0 moa mount.
    LineofSight thanked this.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by djv38 View Post
    Just flip it around. Makes absolutely no difference as long as the mount is a 0 moa mount.
    Yup, notice the ADM mount on my 17 above, it's 'backwards'.

Quote Originally Posted by LineofSight View Post
    How would the mount fair with the charging handle? Need to upgrade to Serges EACH?
    I did mine like this. The left side is where the bulk of the base is at.

DISCLAIMER:

Any governmental agency monitoring this thread should know, that I no longer own any firearms of any type. Any serial number of an autoloading rifle and or pistol linked to me is either in error of your filing system or has been sold in an untraceable, yet legal way.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRifle View Post
    Don't forget to consider the new Nikon M308: Nikon 4-16x42 M308 Riflescope

Its reticle is calibrated for the Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr BTHP rounds our Heavy's seem to really like. I have a Bushnell HDMR with the G2DMR reticle on mine, but that is a heavy beast for your intended purpose. I use mine for bench and long range prone matches: Bushnell 3.5-21x50 Elite Tactical 34mm Rifle Scope

Good luck on your choice and don't forget to post back here with your range report.
    I'm planning on running the Nikon M308 on my SCAR 17. Seems to be a nice setup option.

Quote Originally Posted by proteinwisdom View Post
    Try this. A great all-purpose scope for a battle rifle, in my opinion -- and designed to be just that -- it works very well through the effective range of the weapon (CQB it acts like a "red dot"; longer ranges it uses a very intuitive ranging system based on 10"/20", or head/torso), and, at least up to 530 yards, the BDC, though designed specifically for 5.56, works just as well with 7.62 (at 147gr, tested with an FN FAL).

The scope is designed, first and foremost, for quick target acquisition in CQB. Illuminated for low light, the horse shoe acts as a red dot at 1 or 1.5x; in bright light and with no illumination, the black horse shoe reticle is very easy to pick up.

Manufactured by Light Optics in Japan and using a proprietary / patented reticle from Ed Verdugo, former Special Forces, who also designed many of the sling attachments in use today, it has excellent glass with no distortion that I can find up at 6x. At the $1025 price point (less for military / LE), it is a fantastic, do-it-all optic for a combat rifle like the SCAR. Unlike some of its competitors, it uses low profile capped turrets.

You can find some outside reviews linked on the site that sells these, Norden Performance.

I have no connection to Ed or the companies involved in the design or production of the scope. I'm just a guy who did a lot of research and feels like he hit on a great solution for the SCAR.

This isn't a sniper scope. But then, the SCAR isn't a sniper rifle. This weighs in at about the same weight as many 1-4x24 scopes, doesn't require a magnifier to turn a red dot into a useful distance scope, is night vision compatible, and works very well at all its ranges.

Couldn't be more happy with the thing.

Good option. This looks very similar (other than the reticle) as the yet to be released SWFA 1-6 x24 optic with FFP. I'm betting they are made by the same manufacturer.

The one thing I don't like about the optic you listed Proteinwisdom is the 2 yr limited warranty. Sounds trivial, but when you're spending over a grand I expect more.

I'm looking at the following:
    --SWFA 1-6 x 24
    --Leupold vx-6 1-6 x24 multigun version with firedot

I wouldn't mind greater magnification, but for a good battle rifle I won't give up on the true 1x for CQB.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links