SCAR 17 barrel shortening

FN Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree9Thanks

Thread: SCAR 17 barrel shortening

SCAR 17 barrel shortening

I'm new here although I've been lurking for quite some time so please bear with me. I've read on here great info regarding shortening the SCAR 16 to 14.5" plus a perm attached brake including the mod to the gas block opening. I've done my ballistic research on the .308 round and it shows that it will still be very effective out past 500 yards, closer to 600 with a 14.5" barrel. The Larue 14.5" rifle is hitting even farther but the round runs out around 600 (with the 14.5" barrel) from what I find. So,...I am about to buy a 17 and want to add the rail extension, have ADCO or the person on here that's recommended, I think it was 'Marvin'? to cut the barrel and pin/weld either an AAC or Surefire brake on and open up the gas port to the correct size needed for the 14.5". Any help or constructive advice would be highly appreciated. I'm going with the SCAR 17 over the Larue PredatOBR even though I have to mod the barrel length to be satisfied because of what I feel is a superior design in reliability. Not looking for a 'sniper' rifle abviously or would go another direction,..I want a short, lighter, reliable, hard hitter. Planning on adding a 3.5x35 ACOG. Thanks

Ok,..no replies yet. So,..I found the very recommended Marvin on here and his email address and took my question regarding shortening a 17 barrel to the master. Wish me luck in not only finding a black 17 at a relatively decent price,..but being able to make it mine. Thanks,...'look forward to sharing as I go. Very cool forum you guys have here.

Sorry you haven't gotten any hits on your query. It sounds like you're on the right track, but if you don't mind me asking... why the effort? I know it's kind of a moot question because, after all, it's your rifle not mine. That just seems like an awful lot of work for what would be, in my mind, a very small gain.

Try putting the AAC on your rifle and see what you think. I was of the belief that my 17 looked goofy with the stock barrel / brake setup (not nearly as bad as the 16 in its stock digs) but with the 51T MITER flash hider installed, I think it looks great - plus I have never once thought to myself that it would be more handy if it were 1.5" shorter. Now, chopping it down to an 11.5" barrel is a whole other story entirely.

Just my 2 cents.

-Brady
    cetane and tac93 thanked this.
    "When it rains, do you run from doorway to doorway, trying to stay dry, getting wet all the while? Or do you just accept the fact that it's raining and walk with dignity?"

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    I would shoot it before I cut the factory barrel just to have a baseline. Of course I wouldn't personally cut the barrel but it's your weapon.
    14R, cetane and tac93 thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

AUTHORIZED FN LE/Mil DISTRIBUTOR

07/02 SOT FIREARM MANUFACTURER

Law Enforcement / Military / Commercial Sales

O: 815-977-5167

Accepting All Major Credit Cards

Like us on Facebook for your chance to win cool stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Thanks guys,..I appreciate the input.

I'll get the weapon in hand, add the ext rail, go to the range, buy a cpl extra mags, a geisselle trigger, go to the range, add optics ..and then look at the barrel length for me personally. The velocity loss in reducing it 1.5" is small to me and I really like the look that I've seen 16's with 14.5" plus brake,...plus I've had a DSA FAL in 16" and a REPR 16" in the past, had to sell them, and always wished they were just a bit shorter for me. I live in WA so no SBR's but the $150 labor plus a $100-150 brake isn't much effort really on theis level of rifle imho.

I'm am although very curious as to why you two wouldnn't cut it down,...is it just a personal choice on the velocity loss/money/effort thing or is there something I'm missing? So much info on this forum I surely don't want to sound like I've even scratched the surface, and value all opinions. Thanks

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter FiveToOne's Avatar
    I wanted a 13" short barrel (flamethrower/flashbang) but I didn't want to lose my more piratical 16" barrel so I bought a 2nd barrel to chop. This isn't worth it much for the 14.5" + pin though. It sounds like you should chop the barrel and enjoy. Some might point out that this will void your warranty which may or may not be a deal breaker for you.
    Brady and tac93 thanked this.

Did you paint your elcan yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by FiveToOne View Post
    I wanted a 13" short barrel (flamethrower/flashbang) but I didn't want to lose my more piratical 16" barrel so I bought a 2nd barrel to chop. This isn't worth it much for the 14.5" + pin though. It sounds like you should chop the barrel and enjoy. Some might point out that this will void your warranty which may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tac93 View Post
    I'm am although very curious as to why you two wouldnn't cut it down,..
    Because there's always a risk present for the plating/substrate being compromised which has lead to accuracy issues in the past when plated barrels have been cut. It may not happen to most, but it has happened in the past and for that reason, I wouldn't risk a barrel - they're just too expensive.
    tac93 thanked this.

AUTHORIZED FN LE/Mil DISTRIBUTOR

07/02 SOT FIREARM MANUFACTURER

Law Enforcement / Military / Commercial Sales

O: 815-977-5167

Accepting All Major Credit Cards

Like us on Facebook for your chance to win cool stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links