SCAR 17s for Hunting! - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree38Thanks

Thread: SCAR 17s for Hunting!

Hahaha bringing home the bacon like a damn ninja!
    You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Churchill
    Scar 17s
    Springfield XDm .40

Wanna revive this thread as its getting close to Combined Deer/Elk Rifle here in Colorado.

I'd like to ask if anyone here has taken Elk with their SCAR 17s (specficially Rocky Mountain, but if you have taken a Rosie, then I'd definitely like to here) if you'd chime in. Heck, any big game. What ammo did you use? Do you run the SCAR differently while hunting than while doing tactical shooting? i.e., remove forward grips, rail covers, different optic, bipod, etc?

Been doing a lot of shooting with the SCAR 17s as of late. Much more than my typical about 30 rds through my hunting rifle prior to each year's rifle season. My Elk rifle is a Winchester Model 70 carbine (carbine referring to the barrel length being 20") in .30-06win. Well, went out the range the other day and I was surprised and a bit concerned that I was shooting much better with the SCAR 17s than with my bolt gun!

Factors in this could be the fact that I had just zeroed the scope on the 30-06. Took about 15 rds ... :\ and by then, I might have been a little recoil jumpy, and was anticipating too much. I can shoot the SCAR all day, but a box of rounds through that ought 6 and I'm feeling it till the next day! Going out to the range this Friday with my hunting partners (my wife and her father) and hopefully confirm or deny which rifle I'm shooting best with.

This is a pretty "traditional" town when it comes to hunting, so I may be affected by local bias, but something about hunting with a semi-auto feels odd. I'm not disparaging anyone who does it, but tradition can be a tough critic. My father in law is of the idea that if the stock ain't made of wood, you shouldn't hunt with it (this includes awesome poly type stocks like McMillan or Bell&Carlson).

Anyway, I have a 20rd to 5rd magazine limiter from MagBlocks so the only thing keeping me from committing to to the SCAR is indecisiveness. I can't see how it wouldn't do what I need it to, as long as I do my part. If I'm shooting better with the SCAR, I think I owe it to the Wapiti to use it, in terms of taking humanely.

Thanks for your time,

MojoSlim
    cetane thanked this.

tw4
    Well i'll be deer hunting here in CO in a couple weeks with a scar17 168gr trophy gold. Haven't done elk yet I'm a little weary.
    MojoSlim thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Only 5 round limit in FL is if you are shooting deer, but it's open season on Hogs.

Only thing I can't use is a suppressor, which I think the neighbors would appreciate me using, negativing the 640 wake ups to "BOOM"...

Here piggy-piggy...

I'm zeroed for Black Hills 168gr, so that is what I shoot them with. Seems to work fine, most of the hogs are small (@100lbs, usually a bit less), but there is a big hoss out there, around 250# and we've spotting him twice but not been in a position to shoot him.

Rhino
    MojoSlim and cetane thanked this.

^^ looks great...always good to see dead hogs ^^
    cleandean thanked this.
    "Dulce bellum inexpertis "

-War is sweet to the inexperienced.

I'll be deer hunting with mine in a few weeks in North Carolina using 165 grain Speer Grand Slams I loaded up and tested over the summer.

I'll be elk hunting with mine here at the end of OCT. Hopefully I can give you a full report.....HOPEFULLY!!!!
    MojoSlim thanked this.

IMAG0112.jpgkilled three deer last year with mine with 165 gr sst handloads. no round limit in oklahoma other than 5.56 limited to five rounds
    Last edited by bowhunter7532; 10-05-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    MojoSlim thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by McCrapper View Post
    Big-game only. Deer, elk, muleys, etc.
    It's here in Texas too, I think most states actually. I believe semi-auto only, could be wrong though.
    There is no restriction on magazine capacity in Texas for big game animals. Also we can use suppressors as well for the upcoming hunting season.
    cetane and McCrapper thanked this.

I can't understand why people bash .308 for hunting big game. Some people use a bow or muzzle loader for goodness sake! It all depends on the shot you get, ie., how close you are. How far out are you all taking shots (with your 17s, of course), and for what type of game?
    Last edited by Desflurane; 10-06-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links