SCAR 17s for Hunting! - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree38Thanks

Thread: SCAR 17s for Hunting!

MojoSlim thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by the1919man View Post
    There is no restriction on magazine capacity in Texas for big game animals. Also we can use suppressors as well for the upcoming hunting season.
    This blew me away!! I have thought the SCAR was going to have to be limited to pigs, javelinas, and rabbits!!! I've thought this **** for years too. Doh!

It looks I could theoretically take another Muley in New Mexico this year, I couldn't find mag limits there either.

Not a great pic but this was my kill two years ago. My dads on the left, mine on the right. Killed out last day, his in the morning, mine in afternoon. I had the "privilege" of pushing his buck out of a canyon after he wounded it. One of the greatest days of my life.

MojoSlim and cetane thanked this.
    Hunters never die... they just go deeper into the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by MojoSlim View Post
    Wanna revive this thread as its getting close to Combined Deer/Elk Rifle here in Colorado.

I'd like to ask if anyone here has taken Elk with their SCAR 17s (specficially Rocky Mountain, but if you have taken a Rosie, then I'd definitely like to here) if you'd chime in. Heck, any big game. What ammo did you use? Do you run the SCAR differently while hunting than while doing tactical shooting? i.e., remove forward grips, rail covers, different optic, bipod, etc?

Been doing a lot of shooting with the SCAR 17s as of late. Much more than my typical about 30 rds through my hunting rifle prior to each year's rifle season. My Elk rifle is a Winchester Model 70 carbine (carbine referring to the barrel length being 20") in .30-06win. Well, went out the range the other day and I was surprised and a bit concerned that I was shooting much better with the SCAR 17s than with my bolt gun!

Factors in this could be the fact that I had just zeroed the scope on the 30-06. Took about 15 rds ... :\ and by then, I might have been a little recoil jumpy, and was anticipating too much. I can shoot the SCAR all day, but a box of rounds through that ought 6 and I'm feeling it till the next day! Going out to the range this Friday with my hunting partners (my wife and her father) and hopefully confirm or deny which rifle I'm shooting best with.

This is a pretty "traditional" town when it comes to hunting, so I may be affected by local bias, but something about hunting with a semi-auto feels odd. I'm not disparaging anyone who does it, but tradition can be a tough critic. My father in law is of the idea that if the stock ain't made of wood, you shouldn't hunt with it (this includes awesome poly type stocks like McMillan or Bell&Carlson).

Anyway, I have a 20rd to 5rd magazine limiter from MagBlocks so the only thing keeping me from committing to to the SCAR is indecisiveness. I can't see how it wouldn't do what I need it to, as long as I do my part. If I'm shooting better with the SCAR, I think I owe it to the Wapiti to use it, in terms of taking humanely.

Thanks for your time,

MojoSlim

Mojo

Id bet my bottom dollar, 15rds of 30-06 in a bolt gun would get most folks a little jumpy. I am a terrible bench shot because Ive grown up shooting game and not paper. My mind is on the deer, pig or whatever Im trying to harvest and not recoil or anything. Most of my family and friends all say I'm a great shot because I hit whatever game Im engaging. I will tell you right now, I am less than average to poor range shooter. I cant string a 5 shot group worth a ****.... Its big time mental for me. Confidence in your rifle is everything. Shooting the 17s has been a great learning experience as a shooter and I know now that my skills need improvement. For instance, your out in the field and out steps the monster bull, Ill pin my barrel to a tree, no gloves resting gently on fingers, click safety off or rack the bolt and take aim. Well, at my first three gun shoot you CANNOT use your fingers as a rest without gloves once you've fired once or twice lol!!! I also learned what rail covers are for??? Before 3 gun shoot... WTF does everybody put covers on their rails. First barricade, barrels too hot, move hand to rails and 2 shots later Im bleeding haha.

Anyway, ramble over. I like the bolt gun for your scenario but using the 17s Id leave the rail covers on haha and take all extra stuff off. Variable powered scope obviously and if your gonna be walking alot maybe a bipod. I shoot a old Weatherby (manu. in 1957 cant remember exactly) .270 weatherby in a mauser action with an old Vx-ll leupold. 150 grain 20 year old soft points is the primary load but I do shoot these when Im hunting/can find them. I love the accubond load, my first muley and 6 or 7 of my last cull bucks were taking with the these. The buck I just posted about was taken at 250yds, dead in his tracks with 20 year old ammo. Shot placement is key. I hope this helps man, Im at a computer for once and got a little carried away. As Ferris stated you cant go wrong with Partions either.

Ammo .270 Weatherby Magnum AccuBond 140 Grain 3320 fps 20 Round Box
    30-06 Federal Premium 180Gr Nosler Accubond, 20rd box
    MojoSlim thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

New Scar owner here,but been hunting with ARs since I got my first preban Colt A2 for $440 in late 80's. We live along the upper Yukon in Alaska, hunting with ARs is second nature off snowmachines, 4 wheelers, outta boats, and when my ole knees get too bad, I'm a really just an old road hunter at heart. Got my introduction to Scars when my nephew who is a PJ in AK Air Guard showed up with one when he came up for Spring Bear May 2012. Here is his Scar off my back porch bench.

and me lookin it over.

Nephew got a bear from my stand, will try and post, then also other picts with my other Ars, caribou, moose, &bear.

hunting with Scars

Now, I just got my brown 308 Scar last week, but it will be my new hunting gun nx season. I have a bunch of 223's that never leave the gun safe since I bought the 6.8 Stag for the kids and the Armalite AR-10 in 338 Fed. I'll be reloading for the Scar eventually. My 6.8 uses 29 grains H-322, 110 TTSX, SSA brass, and comes outta the barrel at 2740, so says the chrono. My 338 Fed uses 44 grains, 210 Nosler Partitions, and whatever brass I have and the Chrono claims 2770. Here are some picts of local game my kids and I have got with ARs last few years.

We are just about fresh meat and will have some picts with the new 308 Scar nx season

Oh ya, my daughter's pet wolverine too.
    McCrapper, Dobe, Green Beret and 2 others thanked this.

Your kids are very fortunate to live in an area such as this, to be able to hunt this way, and to have a father such as you who teaches them these things. My hat is off to you, sir.

Also,
    Does your daughter really have a pet wolverine? I thought I was something to have a pet skunk when I was a kid.
    Dobe

ACORN - Serving Pimps and Hos Since 1970

^^I think the wolverine is dead...I could be wrong though
    "Dulce bellum inexpertis "

-War is sweet to the inexperienced.

Pet wolverine...amazing. Who is feistier, the wolverine or the young woman that has one as a pet?
    <---- On 2/24/12, became tired of trying to have an ingenious quote!

Wolverine would make an awesome guard dog if you had to live in the hood.

Just ****s & grins with the wolverine. Buddy caught it behind his cabin and was one of the biggest ones I've seen around here, usually see 6-7 every year out and about. Froze solid, so I took the pict as a joke. I'd tell the story that only my daughter could handle it and was house trained and such. You wouldn't believe how many people asked if I was breedin him and sellin pups; some harrs for sure. Anyway, most hunters figure that it ain't right from the start. Then one guy from Sweden on this Plott Hound site I get on, posted his pet badger, and it was for real. Just kiddin around. You all wait till nx huntin season cause I'm doing my killin with the Scar. We have a winter caribou hunt that goes all winter. When the caribou are thick and migrating through, the wolves follow. Usually see some and get some shooting. I actually had wolves in my garbage cans 2 winters back and my neighbor shot a wolf that had his dog by the neck 15 yards from his front door; sprayed blood everywhere. If I get any wolves or caribou this winter, will post picts with Scar.
    cetane and vasttracts thanked this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links