SCAR 17s for Hunting! - Page 7

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Thanks Tree38Thanks

Thread: SCAR 17s for Hunting!

I should have known, they have been up UAF a few times. Wife and I and kids moved to Alaska 20 years back from Crawford Co,Pa. Meadville bulldog hockey, ha ha. Oh I luv hockey, until this year; have had center ice since it started on Dir TV. Watching Kitchener & Windsor juniors on tv right now on NHL channel. We live on border with Canada, a few of my Indian friends upriver, their kids play junior hockey. It's minus 44 right now, supposed to hit minus 50 tonight. I have both wood stoves a kickin, 75 degrees in the cabin. If it would warm up some, I might fire up the skandic and go shoot the SCAR; our caribou season goes until march and a few hundred of them are back behind house at base of mnts. Nx year, the SCAR is my go to gun for hunting moose, bear, and caribou. Right about now, I'm feedin the stoves watchin the dish, ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by djv38 View Post
    Your sweatshirt, Bulldog Hockey, looks just like Ferris State University logo (it's my current school, and we went to the NCAA hockey finals last year)
    I love Ferris State!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris2son View Post
    I love Ferris State!
    OF course you do!
    Ferris2son thanked this.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Killazilla View Post
    Great thread, .308 is the best for hunting medium sized game IMHO.
    Zhurh,
    Did you shoot that moose w/ the .338 Federal? I arrived up here (Fairbanks) last year. I was able to hunt a little around the Chatanika River and near Central earlier this year, but did not connect with any meat. I did see some of the most spectacular countryside of my hunting career. I have talked myself into pickingup a SCA-H, but I doubt it will be before I depart AK. I have a couple of AR uppers (one in 6.5 Grendel and one in 50 Beowulf). I might try the Grendel on a caribou next year. Just wondering how effective your ARs have been for hunting up here. And hats off to your life style. It is currently -31 here in Fairbanks. This is our first winter up here and it is tough. Can't wait for the summer to get back! Thanks for sharing all the photos!
    B
    Toujours Pret

Blue, Ya, we (kids and I) got 3 bulls with the AR-10 338 Fed, 210 nosler partitions; so nice to get three moose, freezers full, and get to share with the Indians & neighbors. Only drawback with the Armalite is how heavy it is, why I bought the Scar H. Hunted with my nephew's Scar-H last spring; nephew is PJ with Ak Air Guard, so if you're military, you might bump into him over your way. I picked one up with pfd money last fall, but will hunt with her nx summer. We usually get a moose or two every September; always get all the caribou we want. I could go shoot some 4 miles behind the house right now if I wanted, but we got enough in August actually. Minus 45 this morn, so much easier to watch football, clean some guns, and feed the wood stoves. Once ya been in Ak some time, minus 55 ain't so cold; have seen it in minus 70s a couple times.

We've been hunting with ARs for the last 25 years, but the new calibers sure have opened everything up for us hunters. We did kill hundreds of caribou with 556's for years though. Last 5-6 years, our go to gun has been the 6.8 for blk bear & caribou; and have killed caribou way off too with the 6.8 stag. Usually we have a nice migration move through where we live, but this year, they went up towards Central, not many down this way.

Some advice for a new guy in Ak. Pick an area near where you live and learn the country; you'll figure out pretty quick where you can kill a moose every season. There are good places 30-40 miles outside of Fairbanks. Ya know out here, for years I hit the river and got quite a few moose; but then I started targeting areas off the road that other hunters didn't; I did even better than on the river and never ran into another hunter for days at a time. I still do the river, but hate seeing all the boat congestion. I now have a few ladder stands several miles out my woodlot trail, all to myself and I enjoy my time in the woods so much more. Start bear baiting nx May with a game cam, whole lot of fun watching the bears interacting, dominance, fighting over food, and sows protecting their cubs and you'll be doing your part to keep them moose eating machines in check; and nx year you can bait grizz.

Here are a few picts, you all like seeing game picts anyway. The first moose had a good story. Neighbor is local Indian Cop, super good guy. So our subsistence season starts a week before regular season. My buddy was coming towards a bend out the road and there's a bull on the bend. Buddy jumped out and blasted bull in the ditch. What he didn't know was there was a caravan of hunters from Mat Valley 300 yards around the bend looking at same bull, ha ha; and they heard the shot, saw "their" bull go down and were about ready to make a citizens arrest until they found out he was the cop. Just another humorous side of the urban/rural debate over who has more rights to the game and where, ha ha. We came along and helped cut the moose up and it was 57-58 inches. Here are a few picts of game.Notice how the one bear shows the small bear that he better get going, with neck way out. Bear like pop corn. Hope you enjoy these picts, I enjoy you alls picts too.

Ferris2son and jmoore thanked this.

Sticking with one area has been the hardest thing so far. I floated the Chatanika for three days in September. I saw a few moose hides in the river from other hunter's kills, but no live moose (tons of sign). I scouted the 40 mile caribou herd too, but was unable to hunt the one day the herd was open along the Steese (I did see some magnificent bulls the day prior to the season opening). I plan to get at it next year too. I did find a bear bait station on the road to Manly Hot Springs (I was moose hunting after I had driven up to the Yukon River). It looks like folks bear hunt up here like we whitetail hunt down south (out of elevated stands). Anywho, hopefully you can post some hunting photos of the SCAR next year. Thanks much!
    b
    Toujours Pret

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Sponsored Links