Bullets striking sideways (keyhole) with PPU 145g - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Thanks Tree8Thanks

Thread: Bullets striking sideways (keyhole) with PPU 145g

Quote Originally Posted by knife edge View Post
    My .02. I can't imagine key holing unless something is seriously foxtrot. Make sure you aren't sending bullets down a barrel with oil in there, the "essentially incompressible" fluid can actually change the diameter of the barrel due to extremely high pressures as the bullet attempts to slide past the oil.
    You may have a point here. It seemed to me that either the new FNH mags had oil inside them or that the PPU ammo had a slight coating of oil on them in their boxes. I had noticed that while shooting last week but it did not set off any warning buzzers.

The barrel itself did not have any oil in it other than what might have come along from the cartridges. The oil did not seem to be on the bullets, but more on the cartridge cases.

Today I shot about 150 rounds of Winchester 7.62 149 or 150 grain and did not observe any rounds striking sideways, which I guess is good news as far as my barrel being damaged goes.

I bought about 2 cases of PPU 145 gr about a month ago from Wideners, mostly because of the low cost and high quality I've known PPU projectiles and loaded ammo to afford me in the past. While PPU 75 gr was never that accurate for me (2 MOA loads, compared to 1 MOA compared to 77 gr SMK) all of PPU's previous loadings have been reliable, and the brass good to go for reloading.

I've churned through 800 rounds of 145 gr PPU in .308 Winchester in my SCAR 17 and not had any accuracy issues. 400 rounds were through a "heavy carbine" or precision rifle class, and man sized targets at 650 yards were quite doable even though I was just running a 1-4X Elcan optic. AAR Here: AAR: John McPhee 2-Day Heavy Carbine Marksmanship Class - Sept 15-16, 2012 - WI - M4Carbine.net Forums

This past weekend I went camping with my friends and was able to pop clay pigeons on the hillside at 150 yards with boring regularity. I'm interested to see what else you can report back on your experiences joexsm and we can figure out what caused the keyholing. All I did before shooting my own SCAR-17S was run a bore snake through the barrel and lightly lube with Machine Gunner's Lube, a moly based lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by joesxm View Post

Today I shot about 150 rounds of Winchester 7.62 149 or 150 grain and did not observe any rounds striking sideways, which I guess is good news as far as my barrel being damaged goes.
    Excellent. No worries then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

I think I have several hundred PPU left, so I will shoot them next and report back. It might be a few weeks though as I have neglected my chores with too much shooting the past month and have to get ready for winter, so trips to the range will have to be second to chopping wood and clearing leaves etc.

Quote Originally Posted by joesxm View Post
    I think I have several hundred PPU left, so I will shoot them next and report back. It might be a few weeks though as I have neglected my chores with too much shooting the past month and have to get ready for winter, so trips to the range will have to be second to chopping wood and clearing leaves etc.
    The leaves WILL ROT! Leave them where mother nature put them.
    STL thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Of course I am compensating for something.... If I could kill something at 300 meters with my c*ck I would not need a gun!

Originally Posted by Clyde
    and then they get to enjoy trying to ride the concussion wave....
    and start peppering them mercilessly with flying hot brass

....well this Country is aboard a Dreamliner, and the Pilot is screaming "Allah-Akbar"

I finally got out to the range yesterday and shot about 60 rounds of the PPU that had given me the sideways impacts.

After the incident I shot about 150 Winchester 7.62x51 with no problems. This batch of PPU also gave no problems.

I am not sure if I mentioned it, but the day of the sideways impacts I had one round that ended up about half an inch shorter after being cycled through while I was doing some malfunction clearing drills.

At this point I am thinking that I just hit a few sub-standard rounds, maybe with the bullet a little loose in the round as might have been the case with the one that re-seated itself during the cycling.

I just bought 1000 rds of PPU 145gr so I'll be able to give this ammo a test soon myself.

Last edited by Xn0r; 10-15-2012 at 11:19 PM.

FN SCAR 17S, Kimber Tactical Custom II, Kriss Vector CRB, Kahr PM9, M1 Garand (CMP HRA SGS), Benelli M4 Tactical, IWI Tavor B18, Sig P227

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links