Such thing as Optic Overkill on the SCAR 17s? - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree38Thanks

Thread: Such thing as Optic Overkill on the SCAR 17s?

A short drive from the center of the universe
    If the OP will forgive me for a brief hijack of his thread, I have to ask SilentRecon who did that great digicamo job for you and what did it run?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Demons run when a good man goes to war

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRecon View Post
    I put the IOR Eliminator 1-10x on mine, and thats about all youll need if your using it for such. best of all worlds. here are a few pics of mine.

That looks awesome by the way.

Sent from my EvoLTE so please pardon any typos
    Own: Glock 17, GSG-522, Five-seveN, Glock 19

A short drive from the center of the universe
    It really comes down to your intended purpose of your SCAR. Is it just a range toy where you will be regularly shooting at distances of 400m+? Do you intend to take it elk hunting? Or is this going to be your SHTF weapon? If the latter is your intent, then do you really expect to engage targets in excess of 400m if you are in a defensive mode? The 17 was designed to be a light weight battle rifle. It seems counter productive to be hanging big heavy pieces of glass on it that will require you to shoot from a supported position like Sarge said. Unless you are in an offensive posture and are assigned over-watch, anything beyond 6x - 8x seems excessive to me. But hey its your rifle, hang something that will let you peruse the Moon looking for the Alpine Valley Rille at night and get double duty out of your selection if it suits you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Demons run when a good man goes to war

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Buy an extra upper from Sarge with the 20" barrel when he gets them and put the big glass on that. Then sbr your upper and but the 13" barrel from Sarge and you will have a bad ass rifle for up close. See problem solved (except the money part ).
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack."
    - General George S Patton

"Errors In Complex Genetic Code Produce More Complexity" - An Atheist

Morality does not derive from consensus

Liberal thought in any form derives from an inner desire to cover/justify guilt.

Morality is nothing more than expressions of people's personal taste/ Right?

My all time favorite forum quote.

Originally Posted by akitainu
    As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo, I will have one.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    While a 13" barrel on a 17 looks cool it has very limited uses and a 10" on a 17 that's about as useless as tits on a boar hog. As you go under 16" on a .308 you seriously start to hinder the rounds effectiveness, unless you plan on just using it to clear buildings or just want to put on a fire and light show.

Barrel length along with many other things in life, shorter is not always better.
    Last edited by Talhoffer; 10-19-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    Ferris2son thanked this.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am.

RIP SSG Marc Anthony Scialdo KIA 3-11-2013 Kandahar

Quote Originally Posted by Talhoffer View Post
    While a 13" barrel on a 17 looks cool it has very limited uses
    That's not true at all. I have a good friend with a 13" barrel on a 308 and hits steel at 800 yard all day long. Granted it's not a SCAR 17 barrel. I thought the gereral opinion here was that the 17 was meant to use up close. Out to maybe 500 yards max.

This is from the FN website "The SCAR®-H CQC assault rifle is chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO caliber and is fitted with a short 13" barrel for close quarter combat."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack."

Liberal thought in any form derives from an inner desire to cover/justify guilt.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    I didn't say you couldn't hit something out at distance, but having enough energy to do what needs to be done is another story. I now of a couple guys who can punch paper with a 10.5 5.56 AR out to 500yds.

A 13" barreled .308 has limited use, believe it or don't, still doesn't change the facts that the shorter you go the less energy you will have to get the job done unless all you care about is hitting steel or putting holes in paper.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

Quote Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
    That's not true at all. I have a good friend with a 13" barrel on a 308 and hits steel at 800 yard all day long. Granted it's not a SCAR 17 barrel. I thought the gereral opinion here was that the 17 was meant to use up close. Out to maybe 500 yards max.

This is from the FN website "The SCAR®-H CQC assault rifle is chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO caliber and is fitted with a short 13" barrel for close quarter combat."
    I'll be agreeing with Patton, while I have not shot my POF-14.5 .308 I have seen videos of guys hitting a good group at 400 with theirs.

I myself plan on replicating the SSR SCAR and using a Nightforce scope on it. I've got a beetchin Nightforce for my .338Lapua, only seems fare my mini-me has a nice scope too.
    Toys: I've sold all my guns. They were too dangerous.

07 FLL

Quote Originally Posted by Talhoffer View Post
    I didn't say you couldn't hit something out at distance, but having enough energy to do what needs to be done is another story. I now of a couple guys who can punch paper with a 10.5 5.56 AR out to 500yds.

A 13" barreled .308 has limited use, believe it or don't, still doesn't change the facts that the shorter you go the less energy you will have to get the job done unless all you care about is hitting steel or putting holes in paper.
    I don't understand. Are you saying that a 308 bullet shot from a 13" barrel won't penetrate the human body and kill at 800 yards?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links