Light primer strike

FN Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Brady

Thread: Light primer strike

Light primer strike

I took my 17s out to the range yesterday, and while I was sighting in my red dot I had a light primer strike. Before this range session I had put close to 100 rounds through my rifle, so having the light primer strike was a bit odd. I pulled the round, noticed it indeed had a primer strike, loaded it back into the mag, chambered and fired as it was supposed to. Now after every 4 rounds I would eject the round that had chambered and noticed that the primers had slight marks, as if the firing pin was tapping the primer when being chambered. What could cause a problem like this, and more importantly how close was I to meeting my maker from a kb?

Thanks
    Micah

As far as I understand, you were pretty damn far....

What kind of ammo were you shooting? Sometimes hard primers need a little extra persuasion to go off. And as for the firing pin tapping the primers... Well, it does. It's free floating, and has a little forward travel once the BCG stops. The only thing I'd be mildly concerned about would be shooting ammo that used notoriously soft primers.

Could a slam fire occur in a SCAR? Sure.

Should you be overly worried that it might? Not really.

Most importantly, should you practice safe handling, be aware of what's going on, and prepared as best you can be for the unexpected? All the goddamn time

-Brady
    cetane thanked this.
    "When it rains, do you run from doorway to doorway, trying to stay dry, getting wet all the while? Or do you just accept the fact that it's raining and walk with dignity?"

I was using some of that Hornady match steel case. I had 50 rounds left over from a ptr91 I had a while ago, and saw no advisory against the usage of steel in the manual so I went ahead to just chuck em this range session. (link is provided for exact description of what I was firing) Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 308 Win :: 308 Win 155 GR BTHP STEEL MATCH™

Now that I chucked em all I'll just stick to my left over PPU stuff, but just thought to ask. Hopefully I won't get too much flak for the steel case usage.

No worries...this do to the SCAR having a free floating Firing Pin, completely normal and safe
    "Dulce bellum inexpertis "

-War is sweet to the inexperienced.

As mentioned above ....floating firing pin sometimes has enough inertia to dimple primes when the BCG returns "home".

Dimpled primers?

Quote Originally Posted by 82ND.ABN.MED View Post
    No worries...this do to the SCAR having a free floating Firing Pin, completely normal and safe
    From what the OP is saying I agree with 82. Normal. It happens with firing pins that have springs also on some guns. Most semi's do this if not all.

On the next concern, I do not think the firing pin can even reach the primer until the bolt has turned and locked the lugs of the bolt. So I do not see there ever being a chance of a KA BOOM before the lugs are rotated and locked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Of course I am compensating for something.... If I could kill something at 300 meters with my c*ck I would not need a gun!

Originally Posted by Clyde
    and then they get to enjoy trying to ride the concussion wave....
    and start peppering them mercilessly with flying hot brass

....well this Country is aboard a Dreamliner, and the Pilot is screaming "Allah-Akbar"

Links