Magazine stress cracked...material? - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: Magazine stress cracked...material?

Quote Originally Posted by mjk1 View Post
    I guess I'm calling FN. I just had a 17 mag blow apart when it dropped ( floor plate, spring, follower, rounds ). I have dropped this before but this time the metal lip on the bottom has cracked. I have knocked the floorplate off when it dropped previously. I don't know but I think the 90deg bend is a weak spot. JIMO...... The floor plate slides into 2 90 deg bends that have probably been stressed during the stamping process . Yes ....I do expect these high dollar mags made of almostunobtainium ..... to hold up better . Maybe I'm expecting too much but these are not no name brand, they are FN. It could be said that I'm rough on some things but these have dropped out of the magwell a few times on me, fully loaded. maybe my bad, but this is just at the range, not doing any drill stuff. If I review the floor plate it is not all nicked & dinged, it looks good or fairly decent. Good thing I had brought extra mags on vacation with me. I can see damaging the floorplate, but not cracking 1 side of the magazine lip ???
    i feel the same way man...for $40+ per I feel they should be able to take the same beating the rifle can. I guess on the plus side the Scar did still run even though the mag was cracked...

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    S.E.A.L.

+

Magpul 20LR (proven design, AND $18.50 per copy)

=

-SS
    ParaSCAR17 thanked this.

Its been 3 weeks since I sent mine in to FN because of a crack. Still waiting for a replacement...

Please SS get us the SEAL
    STL thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Watching one of the shows on tv they had a special forces operator showing some drills that they do. One thing he noted was that he had a drop pouch to put his mags in as they were emptied, instead of just having them drop on the ground. Having mags might be nice for the next time you go out.

Another thought, if there's another AWB, are we still going to see people doing drills where they just treat their magazines as disposable items?

Quote Originally Posted by rottenit View Post
    Its been 3 weeks since I sent mine in to FN because of a crack. Still waiting for a replacement...

Please SS get us the SEAL
    hmmm i thought the guy at FN seemed a touch un-surprised when i told him about my mag...perhaps this is more common than I thought...

17s clips breaking

CRACKED 17s 20rnd Factory Mag-

Damaged Mag ?

By chance was your mag coded 04TQ4-0911? I don't know if there was a bad batch, but that number seems to have issues...

I ended up resorting to up a couple of FDE mags. This is totaly going to screw my accuracy up. Time to get some black spray pant!

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Couple of pics... I have caught the mag not locking up in the magwell. Yesterday, brand new Mag. I would also like to see a S.E.A.L. magazine to compliment the lower, kind of like a complete package. Yes, i'm aware this is not something that gets whipped up out of thin air. Just a suggestion. Either way, I am not impressed with the lack longevity of the FN mags. I was embarrassed when the mag fell and then blew apart .... not to mention , what if ...... lets say I really needed it ?

In the pic... this is hardly what we could call an abused mag, even if it did drop it fully loaded several times. The lip should not crack so easily ... ( JIMO ) Hard to tell, how they built the tooling for the mags. Did they bend the 90 deg lips in one shot, or was there a preform station ,& 90 deg bend / sizing station. ??? Seems weak to me, so that is my story & I'm sticking to it. Maybe I can get it replaced.( at no charge )
    Attached Images Attached Images

D&H really flubbed their attempt at 6.8 mags last year. It seems they are having issues here, too. At least FN will stand behind the mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Naked View Post
    17s clips breaking

CRACKED 17s 20rnd Factory Mag-

Damaged Mag ?

By chance was your mag coded 04TQ4-0911? I don't know if there was a bad batch, but that number seems to have issues...
    All the mags I have purchased have been stamped 04TQ4-0912, the one I got with the rifle is stamped 04TQ4-0911... the first 5 digits are the cage code for D&H, anyone know what the second half references?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links