SCAR 17S Timney trigger

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: SCAR 17S Timney trigger

SCAR 17S Timney trigger

Hi All,
    I just wanted to give a positive shout out to my new Timney trigger for my also new SCAR 17S. After seeing how much fun guys on YouTube were having with their SCARs, and not having a "plinking" .308, I decided to purchase a SCAR 17S. The one disappointment I found upon receiving the rifle was the abysmal trigger action the gun had. I come from the world of service rifle high-power competition. I have always loved my Geissele two stage trigger, as well as other aftermarket AR triggerjobs. By comparison, the SCAR had a scratchy creepy trigger that would be totally unacceptable for precession target work. Maybe acceptable for a battle rifle (just barely), but sub standard for a $3000 rifle mostly shot at the range for fun. So the search was on for a suitable replacement. Of course a little searching produced the fact that Geissele made a trigger in the $400 range. I was never able to find one to purchase, so that ended the matter until I found out that Timney trigger produced a drop in trigger which also had the positive quality of being available for purchase for less than $300.
    It is quite simply a real "drop in" trigger. The only problem is that it ships with a part not accounted for in the included instructions, a thin trigger floor plate that is installed in the trigger housing before the Timney trigger is dropped in. A quick e-mail to Timney confirmed that that is where the part is supposed to go. Now I have a great trigger to go with a great gun. While the Timney trigger is a single action trigger (there is no take up before it disengages the sear, unlike older military triggers such as the M1 or M1A triggers which have some take up before hitting the sear release point in the trigger pull) it is worlds better than the stock trigger.
    I have no connection to Timney trigger company, just a guy who found a neat product for this cool rifle and wanted to share it with other enthusiasts.
    Steve
    PS: I have a nice Tactical Link single point bungee sling, a Trijicon 6x48 .308 BDC scope and GG&G XDS bipod on my SCAR 17S.

Thanks for the review. I have debated myself on whether I should buy a Timney or wait for a Geissele. It's good to hear that I wouldn't be disappointed in either case.

I know that a 2-stage trigger may be preferable for precision distance rifle shooting, but I take it that a single-stage trigger is perfectly adequate for standard battle rifle duty?
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

I have one for my SCAR 16, and I think it's noticeably better than the OEM part. My trigger was light striking some ammo, and they sent a lower reinforcement plate & heavier spring free of charge. I will definitely buy one for my 17, assuming I can find one...
    Last edited by Bri0242; 12-31-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Well written review. I was already thinking of getting one, this seals it. I agree the stock trigger would need some work to be usable. Thanks for the review.
    Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
    Except bears, bears will definitely kill you.

the trigger on my scar is the absolute worst i have ever felt. its like sliding to bricks together love the gun but it desperately needs a tj (trigger job)
    Last edited by kawtipin; 12-31-2012 at 10:00 PM.

SCAR 17S Timney trigger

Where can you find upgraded triggers for the scar?

The Gisielles seem to be out of stock everywhere, but quite a few places have the timney in stock. like brownells:
    SCAR TRIGGER | Brownells
    and midway:
    Timney Trigger FN SCAR 16s Single Stage 3 lb. Blue
    Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
    Except bears, bears will definitely kill you.

SCAR 17S Timney trigger

What the difference between the two? I love Giselle triggers

not to sound like a jerk, but what review? I only saw that he said it was "great" and "worlds better" than the stock one. Not sure how this would make you feel you wouldn't be disappointed with either one. just not much info to go on. My personal preference for this use is a two-stage and i have been extremely happy with my geiseles, can't wait to put one in my 17.

Quote Originally Posted by gunfighter666 View Post
    not to sound like a jerk, but what review? I only saw that he said it was "great" and "worlds better" than the stock one. Not sure how this would make you feel you wouldn't be disappointed with either one. just not much info to go on. My personal preference for this use is a two-stage and i have been extremely happy with my geiseles, can't wait to put one in my 17.
    Gun, I look forward to your "review" then, in the meantime thanks Capper99 for giving us some feedback on your trigger experience. My LGS carries most of the G triggers and I'll grab their new SCAR model as soon as its released.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links