Bear hunting - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree63Thanks

Thread: Bear hunting

Yeah, we have a friend from AZ that comes up here and he is constantly in fear of bears. Twice while I was fishing with him I saw bears, never told him. He would have **** himself right in my raft, and I didn't want to have to clean that up.

I've had run ins with a few black bears, and although its a bit scary being that close to claws that big, I just shouted and they ran away. And one was a momma with cubs. The cubs ran up a tree down hill from me for safety. The problem is with the steep hill they were 20 feet up a tree and just perfectly at my eye level. They made the most god awful mewling crying sound. I high tailed it out of there before momma decided I was aggravating her cubs.

And on a side note, if people (even locals) knew how often they were watched/stalked by curious mountain lions there would be a lot less people in the woods. I was a forester and one of my jobs was hiking a mile out, then right back along the same route (marking section lines). And no one else was anywhere near me, so all the tracks were mine in the snow. Almost every day I spotted cat tracks somewhere near mine, and often they criss crossed my tracks like they were stalking me. And only once or twice a season did I see a cat. Just sayin. Look up.
    KameronTKelly thanked this.
    Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
    Except bears, bears will definitely kill you.

My now 16 year old son got his elk at 529 yard last year as near as i can remember and using my scar 17, I wouldn't be concerned with taking a bear with it in fact as soon as we draw a bear tag the 17 is what we will be using!
    farmerted thanked this.

@American Infidel
    Where did you see those bear videos? Ive seen bear attack videos but never anyone being eaten.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Truth is absolute.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rslsss View Post
    My now 16 year old son got his elk at 529 yard last year as near as i can remember and using my scar 17, I wouldn't be concerned with taking a bear with it in fact as soon as we draw a bear tag the 17 is what we will be using!
    That is outstanding! What ammo were you using?

As for bear with the SCAR, I'd go with ammo loaded with a solid like the Barnes TSX, they don't lose any weight and penetrate very well.

And on a side note, if people (even locals) knew how often they were watched/stalked by curious mountain lions there would be a lot less people in the woods.

There aren't grizzlies around here, so I'm not really afraid of bears. They usually just want to be left alone. I watched a black bear "hide" behind a tree, I guess he thought if he couldn't see me I couldn't see his fat butt on either side of the tree. He'd poke his head out, crap the human is still there, and "hide" again. I didn't let on that I knew he was there and everyone was happy.

Cats are a different story. Bears bluff charge and are generally scavengers. Cougars are killers. I've seen tracks and found kills but I have never seen the cat that did it, I do believe he has seen me. My father and brother both have cougar stories that make you realize man in not the apex predator he thinks he is, we just have good tools. Bears want to protect their young, mountain lions want to eat you.

Why can't you people just use a hunting rifle for hunting animals? Don't you feel silly toting a modern military rifle in the woods, all clunky and bulky, trying to shoot at animals that can't shoot back? Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

A Marlin .45-70 levergun is a lot cheaper, easier to tote around and simply handier and don't make you look like a mall ninja out in the woods.

Yes, poachers use AKs to kill elephants and rhinos too. It doesn't mean that you should give up your safari gun and start packing AKs with 75-rds drums on the veldt of Africa.
    American Infidel thanked this.

Why can't you people just use a hunting rifle for hunting animals?
    We could get a Sako TRG 338 and sit across a river with a cooler. Not to be inflammatory, but we are talking about large bears here, not deer. And for that matter -- if somebody wants to hunt deer with
    a Scar (I have friends that do), why is that a problem? It is a very accurate rifle that allows humane kills and has enough power to minimize risk of not dropping the animal you are hunting.

Don't you feel silly toting a modern military rifle in the woods
    Interestingly enough when examining politics lately, the term "military" is the next "assault rifle". Also, remember that our snipers used accurized hunting rifles for decades. A rifle is a rifle. The desire
    is always the same... make every shot count. Magazine capacity is irrelevant and appearance is moot.

trying to shoot at animals that can't shoot back?
    They can't shoot back at a person with a 45-70 guide gun either. They can, however, make a hot pocket out of you. Again, I would want
    an accurate rifle that is easily manipulated under (a ton of) stress.
    KameronTKelly, Kev and Fnpurist thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10auto View Post
    We could get a Sako TRG 338 and sit across a river with a cooler.
    Because a Sako M85 hunting rifle in the same caliber just can't do the job, right?

Not to be inflammatory, but we are talking about large bears here, not deer.
    Because nobody ever put down a large bear or large bears with hunting rifles that don't benefit from auto cycling and high mag capacity, right?

And for that matter -- if somebody wants to hunt deer with
    a Scar (I have friends that do), why is that a problem? It is a very accurate rifle that allows humane kills and has enough power to minimize risk of not dropping the animal you are hunting.
    It's not a problem. I've done it with my SAR-48 and HK91 back when I was hunting. However, there are other guns more efficient for the job. And frankly, there's one thing to play dress-up commandos in the woods (heaven knows, I did and still do), there's another to actually lug a cumbersome gun around the boonies for the sole purpose of hunting games when something more suitable can do. I mean, really, you're going to lug a 10-lbs gun (with 20-rds mag loaded) and maybe add another three pounds of optics, hand grips, flashlight, laser? To go deer/bear hunting? Or lug down the trail for "bear protection"?

Interestingly enough when examining politics lately, the term "military" is the next "assault rifle".
    I call'em what they are: semiauto version of military rifles. I'm not going to dignify the stupid monikers of assault rifles/battle rifles. That's another thread all on its own.

Also, remember that our snipers used accurized hunting rifles for decades.

But the SCAR isn't an accurized hunting rifle, is it?

A rifle is a rifle. The desire
    is always the same... make every shot count. Magazine capacity is irrelevant and appearance is moot.
    Then take a proper hunting gun.

They can't shoot back at a person with a 45-70 guide gun either. They can, however, make a hot pocket out of you. Again, I would want
    an accurate rifle that is easily manipulated under (a ton of) stress.
    How many times have you been attacked by angry bears? That you'd need a military semiauto with 20-rds mag to deal with?

I get it. You people want to go out to the boondocks and looking cool...that's fine. That's why I buy these guns too.

You want to do it to piss off the anti-hunters/PETA/liberals? Sure, why the hell not? That's why I did it too back in the days.

But we are not in a regular hunting forum with all sorts of hunters and varying degrees of Second Amendment support. We're not at Democratic Underground. We're at the FN Forum under the SCAR17 subforum. You don't have to rationalize to me the need for taking a SCAR17 into the woods for hunting or for bear/cougar/dangerous games protection. It just sounds silly to the choir.

Do it because you want to and leave it at that. You don't have to justify anything.

ya know where i work(airport) i get to talk to a lot of people from various bear states. over time bears have now become atuned to gunshots=din din dinner bells. if you say knock an elk down in wyoming, you can pretty much figure on meeting a bear. which makes damn good sense to have a SENTRY armed while your skinning/gutting. it also makes damn good sense to have dogs w/you. they have a keener sense and will generally piss the bears off and be yer 1st line of defense.

you dont need to freeking go to alaska to be up to yer eyeballs in nasty azz bears. fishing the madison/yellowstone/nez perce rivers, 50ft off the highway can make you into BEAR POO REAL DAMN FAST!

now all you bear meisters, did you know that bears populations have exploded? wyoming especially with even reports of grizz moving back into the wasatch of northern utah and into northern colorado. its called population density. and when a bear lays claim to an area, any/all bears will move elsewhere. and not into "standard" areas aka forests. bear population in wyoming is moving eastward into grass lands and away from yellowstone park due to lack of food for them. hence they are showing up in non traditional areas.

oh and as far as using #6 birdshot in my 12 gauge so as to blind the bear. that came from a USFS LEO RANGER in yellowstone. his job was back country law enforcement. and i have heard the same thing from alaska pilots that fly in here. once again followed by double OO buck then slug(breneke), OO buck etc.

try fly casting w/a 45/70(or anything) on yer shoulder and a .44 mag in a cross chest holster! it aint fun believe me.

45/70
    .308 w/20 rd mag
    .338 win mag
    .44 w/corbons
    .454 casull
    .375 h&h
    3006 even
    12ga

all better than a stoopid can of bear spray.
    00stormbringer thanked this.

Hey guys, from now on, you need to ask fnfaldude if you meet the standard for your activity for the day.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links