Bear hunting - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree63Thanks

Thread: Bear hunting

Quote Originally Posted by OldRanger View Post
    And on a side note, if people (even locals) knew how often they were watched/stalked by curious mountain lions there would be a lot less people in the woods. I was a forester and one of my jobs was hiking a mile out, then right back along the same route (marking section lines). And no one else was anywhere near me, so all the tracks were mine in the snow. Almost every day I spotted cat tracks somewhere near mine, and often they criss crossed my tracks like they were stalking me. And only once or twice a season did I see a cat. Just sayin. Look up.

And for my one non-joking comment of the week, these cats are REALLY expanding their range. They seem to be getting one every 3 months in IOWA for God's sake. And they have MANY reports of them (not sure about confirmed kills) in Kansas!

Black bears are quite common in New York, Penn, Ohio Ill. etc, etc. (basically all the Northern states and a huge number of Southern states as well) and statistically you are a lot more likely to get mauled by one of them. Hell, my NY hunting licenses while I was growing up were all "Big Game" which allowed you to take a bear or a deer. I can count on one hand the number of times I ever saw one in the wild while hunting. But by the end of the season just about every other porch around my Grandma's house had one hanging...

I spent most of my youth there out with a .22 or a fishing rod. I survived.

I hiked extensively in Montana, Wyoming, etc while younger and never even carried spray. Saw Griz. Never played with one.
    Last edited by renderit; 03-29-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Use the firearm that you are most proficient with! To many busy bodies proclaiming their choice is the proper one.
    Bella Twin, an Indian girl, and her friend Dave Auger were hunting grouse near Lesser Slave Lake in northern Alberta. The only gun they had was Bella’s single-shot bolt-action .22 Rimfire rifle. They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they saw a large grizzly following the same survey line toward them. If they ran, the bear would probably notice them and might chase, so they quietly sat down on a brush pile and hoped that the bear would pass by without trouble. But the bear came much too close, and when the big boar was only a few yards away, Bella Twin shot him in the side of the head with a .22 Long cartridge. The bear dropped, kicked and then lay still. Taking no chances, Bella went up close and fired all of the cartridges she had, seven or eight .22 Longs, into the bear’s head. That bear, killed in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years and is still high in the records today. Which only goes to show that in an emergency, strange things are possible, but who wants that kind of emergency?
    Grizzly Guns (World Record shot with a .22)
    Spilz thanked this.

RDT
    Living in Northern California bears are quite common while backpacking/camping in the Sierras. I have seen them from about 50 yards away, but never any closer, although was prepared if they became a threat.

I still say the best defense against a bear is to be smart and not give them reasons to come around. Clean up trash correctly, watch for digs or scat and avoid areas where tracks are in abundance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by farmerted View Post
    Hey guys, from now on, you need to ask fnfaldude if you meet the standard for your activity for the day.
    Don't want my opinion? Then don't post on the forum for all members to see.

It is not your opinion that he questions - it is your motivation. You see, he doesn't care what rifle you hunt with and is perplexed as to why hunting with a "military" or any other rifle of personal choice is an issue. Also, I would be curious as to why any impression that offends activist groups (PETA, etc) should even show up on our radar? We are talking about a bunch of narcissistic ideologues that are literally more comfortable when upset about something than not. And by all means throw your opinion out there. As you say... Open forum. But you may want to attempt at least a little filtration until you hit the one month mark.
    Kev, farmerted and Fourth Horseman thanked this.

I've carried a 308 battle rifle with me in the back country for many years now. (Now it's the scar 17) My attire is more outdoorsy than a military look. I've never felt out of place with my choice of rifle when out hiking and or camping. My rifle of choice serves as a hunting rifle, (which I don't get to do as often as I'd like), and personal defense. I've never felt out of place with it. I enjoy going alone sometimes so I can go at my own pace, and just let my mind wander if I like. I'm never bored, the physical exertion and basic chores that can go along with overnighting in back country prevent that lol. For me the Scar 17 is just a great all around choice. It can handle any animal (big cat tracks are prevalent sometimes) in the lower 48, and people can be as dangerous as animals when alone in the middle of nowhere. I just feel safe while carrying my 17 (and a concealed pistol). It's a personal choice, but it seems to make sense for my wants and needs.
    Kev and Fourth Horseman thanked this.

I think shotgun loads will cause the bear to die of blood loss, 10 minutes after he eats you.

With the increased numbers of grey wolves, I think a SCAR 17 and 20 rd mag make good medicine for a wolf pack.

That said, I've never seen a bear and only one wolf, which ran away promptly.
    American Infidel thanked this.

I understand that someone told you that #6 bird shot with buckshot and then slugs to follow up. That is jut plain foolishness. I don't care who he says he is. He is wrong. Now I am talking Grizzlies. Shots are dinner bells to Bears in Alaska, that is true. BUT in GENERAL if you leave them alone they will leave you alone 99.9% of the time. I personally have never had to shoot a Bear. Some people claim here that a 308 head shot will do the job. TRUE. But trying to shoot a bear in the head as its charging you at 35 MPH and its head is moving up and down side to side is easier said than done. Not to mention the adrenaline dump and your heart trying to beat its self out of your chest. The bears im talking about can get as big as 1,600 lbs. These are usually found along Kodiak and Afognak Islands. Generally East and South along the Alaska Coast. The Bears I generally ran across were the interior bears. They are smaller. Maybe as big as 1,200 or so. Some people present them selves as "experts" because they have TENT Camped in bear Country for summer or hunting season. Ive been doing it for the last 8 years almost nonstop year round and I am NO expert! Nor do I claim to be or pretend to be. Bears were just a small part of what I had to protect others from while still performing my main job as Lead Field Engineer for a Space and Defense Contractor on the Largest Scientific Endeavor in the History of Man Kind. Honestly the worst part of the wilderness in Alaska was the Mosquitoes. The biggest danger were the helicopters and the Truckers. Take from my experience what you want. Ridicule what you want. I can care less. Its your life. I must say its funny to me how some people have little to no experience and open up the mouths and spew out garbage that could get someone killed. Good luck.
    Last edited by American Infidel; 03-29-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    00stormbringer thanked this.
    The very atmosphere of Firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains Evil interference - They deserve a place of Honor with all that is good. GEORGE WASHINGTON
    If the freedom of speech is taken away then the dumb and the silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. GEORGE WASHINGTON

First two Big Bear. The last Picture is whats left of a so called self proclaimed Bear "expert". His tent mate/girlfriend was also killed and eaten.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by American Infidel; 03-29-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    Kev, 00stormbringer and Big Muddy thanked this.
    The very atmosphere of Firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains Evil interference - They deserve a place of Honor with all that is good. GEORGE WASHINGTON
    If the freedom of speech is taken away then the dumb and the silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. GEORGE WASHINGTON

For those that can stomach it. Here is a link to the Audio of the above tent camping self proclaimed Bear expert's last words and those of his tent mate/girlfriend.

Last edited by American Infidel; 03-29-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    Canyon Man thanked this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links