Bear hunting

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree63Thanks

Thread: Bear hunting

Lightbulb Bear hunting

Lol my brother and I always joked around about bear hunting scenarios (i know, we're pretty screwed up, aren't we). To SCAR 17S owners, how viable is the platform for use as a backwoods self-defence rifle? I know that generally a bigger cartridge is more suitable to taking down bear but I read somewhere that fast follow up shots is about equally important when a bear is charging you.

Since the SCAR 17S is relatively soft shooting, how useful would it be in such a situation?

Seems like a good idea to me, bring a 20 or 25 round PMAG (HANDL lower), fold that stock, carry it around to accompany a big bore bolt.

Last edited by 00stormbringer; 03-27-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    California9, LESTER, Rowan and 1 others thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by 00stormbringer View Post
    Brilliant. Cheers for the links! Very helpful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I shot a 300 pound wild hog in the head. The projectile traveled in just under the right eye. It continued its travel out of the base of the skull in the back, through the spinal cord, the shoulder blade and stopped progress in the meat of the shoulder behind the blade. It didn't take another step. Wild hogs are some of the toughest creatures on the planet from my experience. I've shot one in the head with 000 Buck shot from 25 yards and it knocked it out cold. Then it got up and ran into the swamp 45 seconds later. I believe this speaks to the capability and ballistics of the .308. The projectile used on the hog was a 165 gr ballistic tip out of a 16" barrel. I trust the round with my life. That being said the animal will only go down if your shot placement is correct. If you need more than 1 round (maybe a second if the large animal doesn't fold like oragami) you're doing it wrong.
    Last edited by KameronTKelly; 03-28-2014 at 09:18 AM.
    California9, Somnus, LESTER and 1 others thanked this.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

there is NOT A BEAR ALIVE that can withstand a 20rd MAGDUMP of .308! and thats a FACT JACK! until i purchased my scar 17, i used my socom M1-A w/a 20rd mag or hk-91 w/folding stock in the event of a bear around camp in yellowstone fishing for 2 weeks.

also a 45/70 and a 12ga benelli with the 1st rd #6 birdshot(aim for the eyes/if blind they cant see you!), then double OO buck,then federal slug,the OObuck then slug etc. were set in strategic areas.

45/70 loaded with buffalo bores and .44 mag loaded w/buffalo bores bad azz azz bear azz whupper rds on me in a cross chest holster at ALL TIMES! EVEN WHEN I TOOK A POO!

if ya think thats overkill, well then ask the tourist EATEN 1.5 miles north of us, while we were watching 'ol faithful and taking pics at the EXACT TIME AND DATE we were 1.5 miles SOUTH OF HIM!

its NOT A JOKE! backcountry yellowstone ya better be on a horse! with a BOATLOAD OF PEOPLE MAKING NOISE! and when ya campout for the night......................well thats when the FUN(?) BEGINS w/MR BEAR!

and if a bear(black/brown/white/silver) is attacking me or wifey.................i dont give a RATS AZZ what the mag limit IS IN THAT STATE!
    Ironminer, California9 and OldRanger thanked this.

When in Bear Country its a good idea to have Bear Medicine. The bigger the round the better. I agree 308 is quite capable. But you want the Bear to drop in its tracks. A 308 is not going to do that unless its a head shot. Kinda hard to do when they can hit 35 MPH in a matter of seconds and be on you quicker than 1 or 2 shots get off IF YOUR LUCKY. If its out in the open then a 308 would be fine (100 of yards and you have another guy with you with another 308 rifle. But in the brush or close quarters so to speak you want a BIG round. This is where the problem lies. You never know what type of terrain you will be in when the Bear decides he wants one last meal before he takes his winters nap. 50 Alaskan is an excellent Stop A Bear In Its Tracks Right Now Caliber. I like the 45-70 as well if you have some dedicated Bear loads like those from Buffalo Bore or Corbon. Another great cartridge is the 457 Alaskan (my 2nd choice). You can practice with the much cheaper 45-70 Government and still Deliver one hell of a whollop with the 457 Alaskan out of the same gun (custom made for 457 Alaskan but can still shoot 45-70) If your just out and about and not really expecting Bears but want something just in case then yah I guess the SCAR 17 would make you feel safer. I wouldnt want a 308 though if a BIG Grizz was trying to eat me. Black bear is a different story. 308 is good medicine for them. Not sure why anyone would want to piss a Bear off by shooting it with #6 birdshot. Thats not going to do **** to a big bear except really piss him off. I would even suspect a black bear would not be to detered. The shot is not even going to penetrate his hide and most of the force will be absorbed by its fur. Depending on how far the bear is away from you and the length of the barrel the pattern will greatly expand and loose its ability to do anything quickly at any distance due to its light weight tiny little projectiles. If its close enough to where the "birdy shot" would actually blind him then he is already on you blind or not. You would have been better off putting the shotgun in your mouth and pulling the trigger. If you want proof there are a couple of very gruesome videos a men being eaten alive. Not eaten after they were killed but while they were still alive. Having your intestines and other organs being ripped out of your body and eaten while you are still alive and screaming will quickly see you wishing you turned that shotgun on your self. Buckshot and slugs are NOT BEAR medicine unless there specially made for BEAR. Different type of hardened lead and shape of slug ect ect. Even then they are NOT accurate and just a good way to get your self killed. I have trained with the 338 Winchester Magnum in Bear class but prefer the 50 Alaskan Hands Down or even the 457 Alaskan over the 338 Win Mag. I no longer take Scientists out in the middle of no where to play in Alaska. Political Correctness has NO business in the real world. They will change there minds after some of there precious scientist get eaten alive and its caught on the faster running scientist iPhones. So I dont worry to much about those things anymore. BUT when I did I ALWAYS had a Co Pilot 50 Alaskan Rifle even when I was not "allowed" to by the powers that be. Except in Canada. There we had the Locals stand Bear watch. These were usually the Inuits. Most were drunk before noon. I have a photo of the guy who was "supposed" to be protecting us asleep with all of the scientist behind him. I will try and find it. His rifle was a 303 Enfield and I would have been afraid to fire it. Anyway if you will be in Big Bear Country (like Alaska) make sure you take a Bear class. You will be surprised at how fast the moving target is on you. Good Luck and stay safe. Bears are BIG and can accelerate faster than they should be able to but they do. Can you run 35MPH? They can. One last thing. It is really sobering when you realize that you are NOT on top of the food chain. This is instinctive because even the scientists felt the change as we were dropped of by helicopter. They quickly discarded there Anti Gun views (until we were back in something resembling civilization) then it was NO COMMON SENSE as usual.
    Last edited by American Infidel; 03-28-2014 at 01:22 AM.
    The very atmosphere of Firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains Evil interference - They deserve a place of Honor with all that is good. GEORGE WASHINGTON
    If the freedom of speech is taken away then the dumb and the silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. GEORGE WASHINGTON

Sorry, reposted due to negative tone of this one.
    Last edited by OldRanger; 03-28-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    BigBuckeyeGuy and KameronTKelly thanked this.
    Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
    Except bears, bears will definitely kill you.

Heheh, flatlanders make me laugh. So bear paranoid. I'm sorry, I don't mean you, I'm sure you are an expert that lives and plays in bear country and have killed a dozen bears like the Buffalo Bore guy.
    Thats not to say you can or should ignore bears, you definitely have to be aware of them and your circumstances. But I've lived in a tent in griz country for a summer (as a wilderness ranger in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness) and I've had 3 elk camps torn apart by bears and yet NEVER had to shoot one. Not that I wouldn't, just never had to. And I'm only talking Montana here, Alaska is a different animal and I don't know squat about that.

Anyways, where was I? Oh, right, charging bear. If its a griz, and its close enough to be charging you, you're probably bear chow. If you had your rifle in your hands, locked and loaded then you have a chance. But the scar is an awesome weapon for this. Any rounds we usually carry would split a bear skull and kill it. And any hunting rounds we use would drop a bear (eventually) with a good heart/lung shot. Best aim for the head if she's charging tho.

Heheheh, flatlanders.
    Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
    Except bears, bears will definitely kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by California9 View Post
    Lol my brother and I always joked around about bear hunting scenarios (i know, we're pretty screwed up, aren't we). To SCAR 17S owners, how viable is the platform for use as a backwoods self-defence rifle? I know that generally a bigger cartridge is more suitable to taking down bear but I read somewhere that fast follow up shots is about equally important when a bear is charging you.

Since the SCAR 17S is relatively soft shooting, how useful would it be in such a situation?

Seems like a good idea to me, bring a 20 or 25 round PMAG (HANDL lower), fold that stock, carry it around to accompany a big bore bolt.
    I've hiked and hunted in black bear country the majority of my life and generally when you come across them they simply just haul @ss. A bear and her cub is the most dangerous creature you'll likely meet in North America and extreme caution should be exercised. All things considered the SCAR 17s is more than enough rifle to handle an attack just because of the amount of lead you can lay down.

Are you hunting something besides bear or are you just hiking around? I ask because you can only shoot one rifle at a time and if that moment comes you most likely wont have time to drop your bolt action and shoulder your SCAR. With that said, I would just carry my Marlin guide gun with some handloads a friend loaded up (300gr - 2450fps) or buffalo bore loads, or just a 12 gauge with buckshot. Also, I've seen more than enough studies and demonstrations that bear spray is generally more effective at immediately stopping the threat than about any round you'll put into that bear. Yes I know, not as cool as dropping a bear at your feet like Jeremiah Johnson but it works well.
    Last edited by McCrapper; 03-28-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    OldRanger and 00stormbringer thanked this.
    Hunters never die... they just go deeper into the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRanger View Post
    Heheh, flatlanders make me laugh. So bear paranoid. I'm sorry, I don't mean you, I'm sure you are an expert that lives and plays in bear country and have killed a dozen bears like the Buffalo Bore guy.
    Thats not to say you can or should ignore bears, you definitely have to be aware of them and your circumstances. But I've lived in a tent in griz country for a summer (as a wilderness ranger in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness) and I've had 3 elk camps torn apart by bears and yet NEVER had to shoot one. Not that I wouldn't, just never had to. And I'm only talking Montana here, Alaska is a different animal and I don't know squat about that.

Anyways, where was I? Oh, right, charging bear. If its a griz, and its close enough to be charging you, you're probably bear chow. If you had your rifle in your hands, locked and loaded then you have a chance. But the scar is an awesome weapon for this. Any rounds we usually carry would split a bear skull and kill it. And any hunting rounds we use would drop a bear (eventually) with a good heart/lung shot. Best aim for the head if she's charging tho.

Heheheh, flatlanders.
    Your tone wasn't too bad in the first post.....

l love the humor though, Im technically just a slightly more experienced flatlander... Bear paranoid is a understatement for most that have never been around them, my coon-ass brother in law from Louisiana comes to mind....
    Kev and OldRanger thanked this.
    Hunters never die... they just go deeper into the woods.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links