FN Herstal Firearms banner

New FDE SCAR 17S Front site Issue

4K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  akitainu 
#1 ·
Just picked up my SCAR yesterday and immediately installed the Geissele FCG (awesome, btw) and Ergo grip and then starting becoming a little familiar with it. I can't seem to get the front site to unlock and swivel into place. What am I doing wrong. Anyone else have this issue. It seems pretty straight forward.

#2 ·
I've heard others complain about this, the little button on the side is hard to work at first. You might try using a tool on it. After you slide the button then the site releases and will stand up.

#12 ·
This is the exact reason I took it off and switched to off-set iron sights. Folding BUIS take too long to fool with in the heat of battle if your optic goes down (even mere seconds is too long). Off-set irons are always up (so nothing to fool with, just cant the gun slightly and there they are); yet always out of the way of the optic.

#19 ·
Delivered a 17 last night and had this issue. Up was stiff but ok but would not go back down. I suspect there is a burr at the roll over point that hangs it up. I could feel it. So I made sure I had the pin fully depressed and smacked it with the heal of my hand. De-burred! Works fine now. YMMV.

#20 ·
I'm having an issue with mine but not sure if it's the same as mentioned here.
When I lift on 'nub' on the left side of the sight locking bar it only raises that side of the bar and the right side stays down. I have to use a screw driver on the right side (since there is no nub on that side) to lift the bar while lifting the left nub to get the sight to raise.

You'd think there would be a knub on both sides to lift the bar straight up.

Is this the way all SCARs are?

#25 ·
Says you... And I say no one makes a new one as it isn't needed. Even if they did, guess what??? That would break too under the same situation.

#28 ·
I think you might be overthinking this one just a tad. The bar only needs to be raised on one side for the sight to unlock. You might have some stiff springs in there making it more difficult, but it is most definitely not a two-handed, tool-required operation. If it absolutely positively will not work and doesn't "break in" from use, you can call FN and get it replaced. That's what they're there for.

Nothings broken, guess I missed your point?
Ironically, this very piece (Catalog #147 - Front Sight Assembly Latch) broke on my gun just three days ago... But that's another story. Either way, FN gave me zero trouble and is replacing the sight on their dime. That's solid customer service if you ask me :?

Reactions: STL
#32 ·
My 16 was very, very hard to fold up/down. I put a couple drops of oil down in it, and let it sit over night. I worked it a few dozen times and now it is smooth and easy. The 17 was smooth right out of the box. Both can be worked one handed easily.

Reactions: Kev
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.