SCAR 17S charginh handle rarely locks back at end of magazine - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thanks Tree20Thanks

Thread: SCAR 17S charginh handle rarely locks back at end of magazine

Quote Originally Posted by StrykerEnterprisesLLC View Post
    More than likely the magazine follower isn't engaging the bolt catch.
    It is definitely this issue with one of my mags - the one that came with the rifle. When the gun doesn't lock back , I'd eject the empty mag, lightly tap on the mag, reinsert it and the bolt will lock on the empty mag again.
    jasonmwillis thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
    It is definitely this issue with one of my mags - the one that came with the rifle. When the gun doesn't lock back , I'd eject the empty mag, lightly tap on the mag, reinsert it and the bolt will lock on the empty mag again.
    Some of my mags were pretty gritty in terms of follower movement. It would be worth taking the mag apart to give it a good cleaning and look for any grime or burrs that could be causing the follower to hangup. A light scuff with a scotchbrite pad on rough areas of the inside mag body could help. If that doesn't do it, and the follower doesn't look like it's damaged, then you probably have a weak magazine spring. I bet FN would be willing to send you a new spring or mag if you tell them that cleaning the mag hasn't helped your problem.

i always keep it on 12 o'clock, if i put an empty mag in and pull the slide back it'll lock the first time i pull it but then not again,, the back of all 3 mags have marks in them where its trying to catch,, oil in catch?? everything looks good? ill get back on the ammo, shot it all yesterday

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member Aging Disgracefully's Avatar
    Tried 2 shots each across about 20 OEM mags yesterday. Did not lock back in 2 cases. A small sample, but still.

IMG_1184.jpgIMG_1184.jpgheres what my mags look like, see the dents where the catch has struck it, i know its not ammo, because when i put in a mag and pull the slide back, it usually only locks the first time

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmwillis View Post
    my scar is about 600 rounds old and the charger handle rarely very rarely stays in the open position after the last round, it seemed to do it more frequently when i first got it,,, any i deas out there?
    Ive had this issue since day one. Everyone says its the follower which technically yeah because the catch is missing it.

But ive bought over 20 fn mags, used other ppls fn scar17 oem mag with same results. I could get it to lock back if i cycled the charging handle by hand with end empty mag. But when it cycled the last round , the force of the BCG would push the whole top of the mag forward causing the mag to lean forward in the mag well therefore the bolt catch slipping behind the follower. Also i can get it to lock back after last round if i put pressure/ some force forward on the bottom back side of mag. That allowed the follower to stay where it needed.

My remedy was i put a 2-3 layers of some tape at the top / front side of mag well to fill in the gap that is there from what im gonna say is a manufacture defect of the magwell being out of spec ( slightly larger). I will send in the whole gun when i get another 17 in January. Plus i got the SEaL coming.

So basically with my tape mod, i have put more than a few 100 single shot last round in mag to test theory and locks back every time. Take tape off and bam, wont lock back.

Fn say to send here in. Which i will like i said

IMG_1184.jpgheres what the end of my mags look like the piece that pushes the bolt catch up is dented from the bolt catch

My lock back issue only started after maybe 200-rds with the original mags. I have 15 more factory mags but I've used only two others. I need to start keeping round counts on the other two. Or should I say to start keeping the round count on the other two mags when I get my gun back from the cops.

SCAR 17S charginh handle rarely locks back at end of magazine

Jason

Yeah thats how my mags look.

Next time you shoot the rifle. Put pressure on the bottom/ back of magazine so that u are basically forcing the top half of magazine to lean back towards you. Bet it locks back every single time.

Do that a few times. Then clear rifle take the lower off and somewhat play with the magazine like how u did with the rifle together. U will see that there is a very little small gap that allows for the mag to rock forward making the bolt catch just miss it.

Bet

Looks like I'm having the same problems. My bolt hold open lever is slipping behind the follower. When I googled the problem I eventually read on this forum thay it's an issue with the magazine and that sending in the magazine was the fix.

I would think that by now FNH would have an idea what the problem actually is and have the approw fix for it.

Hopefully somebody will be able to get an official answer on this issue.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links