SCAR 17S charginh handle rarely locks back at end of magazine - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thanks Tree20Thanks

Thread: SCAR 17S charginh handle rarely locks back at end of magazine

I wonder if the Belgian made mags also have the same issue?

to me it doesn't sound like something to send the gun back to FN about, besides not having your gun for a while i wouldn't think its worth sending in, have you contacted them about it and what do they say,,,

Maybe you have already,but have you taken the lower off and inserted an empty mag.
    You will see the bolt catch pop up. Is it worn? Is the notch on your bolt locking lug worn? Other than that like people have said perhaps your gas block adjustment is off. Causing the bolt to not return far enough to catch the bolt catch mechanism. Or possible crummy ammo not enough pressure force to return your bolt far enough to catch. Guns are not a mistery. There are only so many things that could cause this condition. Start eliminating them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

In my case I bought the rifle slightly used and it appears it was already doing this before I got the rifle. I insert a mag and work the bolt and it locks back maybe one or two times. After that it will not lock back. I have not shot the rifle yet but after doing a brief search I found that this has happened before and the question as to why has been asked on this forum. From the description in the previous posts I bekeive this is either a magazine or magazine well issue. While gas settings or a particular type of ammo could cause the bolt to not lock back I bekeive this is a different issue.

The magazines have wear on the rear of the follower that is obviously from the bolt catch sliding behind it. When my bolt doesn't not lock back I can remover the lower and see the lever stuck behind the follower. It doesn't take much effort to position the magazine where this happens just by screwing around with the lower and an empty magazine. All of this is mentioned and even pictured in several differet threads on this forum.

I have not dated my SCAR or the magazines but I would like to think FNH has addressed this issue and can provide an official response on how to have it resolved. I have not contacted them myself becuase so far it has not been that big of a deal. But it is an expensive rifle and they did choose to go with proprietary magazines so I had higher expectations for the functionality.
    Last edited by lazi; 10-01-2014 at 05:54 PM.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as I've not experienced this problem in the 5 mags I use constantly no matter the ammo I use, even underpowered CBC. I pulled the lower to check the magwell and there is a slight rocking of the mage but not too much,

Im still gonna claim its the mag well. Specifically the top front side of it.

Did anybody figure out a fix for this? I submitted this thread (with video) here a little over a month ago and still haven't figured out a fix. SCAR 17S Bolt Not Locking Back On Empty Mag

I am having the exact same issue. There is clearly too my room (front to back) in my magazine well and it allows my magazine to move too far forward, not forcing the bolt to lock back on an empty mag. I don't really know what to do from here and don't think a mag will fix it. It does it on the three mags that I have.

I know that with the wiggle room in the mag well, if the mag happens to be leaning forward sometimes it will not lock back on mine but this is not very commin at all. I wonder if yours is prone to being a bit forward of the bolt catch. Also sometimes with the lower off i can see the follower slightly sticking just enough to not raise the bolt catch. I am sorry about your troubles OP. I wonder if buying another stripped trigger module would solve it.

So, I just wanted to update. (I'll do it here and on my thread, for reference). I have fixed the problem for me. The bolt now locks back on an empty mag 100% of the time, even with rearward pressure on the magazine while inserted. I noticed that if I placed a small piece of cardboard between the front of the magazine and the magazine well, the problem went away because the magazine was being pushed back enough to engage the bolt catch. I was thinking of placing tape or clear finger nail polish in the front of the mag well, but wanted something more permanent, so I tested out a small piece of cardboard in between the front of the follower and the magazine body and this also fixed the problem, which I was surprised by. I then took out the follower and spring from each of my mags and hit the top front of the magazine with a wrench, just enough to keep the follower towards the rear. Don't do it too hard or the follower won't go up all the way, so it won't engage the bolt catch. This happened once, but I just hit it forward again and it is fine.

It's not exactly the most ideal solution, but it's simple and is working perfectly so far.

it only locks back if i push the mag forward when shooting, it pushes the back of the magazine back and catches it, faulty mags?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links