Unusual internal rail wear? You tell me. - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree53Thanks

Thread: Unusual internal rail wear? You tell me.

The rails are replaceable and actually aren't too expensive. Here is what I would do:

1. Throw frog lube in the trash
    2. Start using a good synthetic grease like TW-25B
    3. Order new rails from MGW: FNH SCAR 17 S Rail, Receiver
    4. Inspect the carrier for burrs or sharp corners that could cause gouging and address if needed
    5. Monitor the wear, function, and accuracy
    6. If performance degrades replace the rails, otherwise lube it and shoot it!

the rails are aluminum?

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umassot50 View Post
    the rails are aluminum?
    Yes those upper rails the carrier ride on are aluminum and part of the receiver.
    Rattyxj00, ECYG and SAVAGEJIM thanked this.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ECYG View Post
    And that's the thing....I have a buddy who also has a scar 17 and his has a couple thousand rounds through it and its rails only have a light layer of the finish polished off. No gouges or divots, just smooth wear. I wouldn't describe the wear on mine as shiny but more of a dull bare metal finish. Flat out I wouldn't expect this....never seen this on the rails of an AK or HK etc.. There are literally chips of aluminum missing in the rail.
    I have several thousands of round through each of my SCARs a piece and IF ( don't doubting you) you have material chipped out or missing that does not seem right, the finish on my upper rails is worn but just the finish with no material displaced. I have only ever used Slip2000 EWL but recently started using Mil-comm TW25B grease, mainly cause I drank so of the Kool-aid. I would as others have already stated to look for anything on the carrier that could be digging into the rail and if you come up empty it might be worth calling FN and seeing if you can send it in to look at it. You will be out of the rifle for some time though and that is annoying.
    SAVAGEJIM thanked this.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

+1 What he said.

Are those divots raised anyway, its affecting the performance of the internals. Like the journal barrings on an engine crank grinding down metal. Eventually it will balance out, but lose something in the process. GL
    Last edited by Kakashi66218; 04-03-2015 at 05:52 PM.
    SAVAGEJIM thanked this.
    It's not the things I did that keep me up at night.. it's the things I didn't do, but could have done, that's what has me losing sleep. - Me

I support veteran owned businesses. They supported America. Thank you for your service.
    Joshua 24:15

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    My first thoughts...although that is a pretty good photo, it's still difficult to see exactly what is going on there--I'm gonna say this-I do not intentionally use any water based cleaners and lubes if I can avoid it. I haven't any experience nor knowledge of what is in Froglube paste(it says something like 'USDA food grade' --food grade what? No idea and it doesn't say) however, I do know that a lot of supposedly "environmentally safe" cleaners are sometimes high alkaline and can and do do a number on the 'ole aluminum. They'll eat and pit it and remove anodized plating like nobody's business.
    That some "food grade" thoughts for you.
    Again....I am not saying that that's what's happening here, and I'm NOT saying it's the Froglube, but that is why I personally try to avoid these water based enviro-safe lessons that I've already learned on some not-firearm hobbies and projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kakashi66218, ECYG and SAVAGEJIM thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, – go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.” “Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I use the same Lubriplate grease on my SCAR that I use on my M1, M1A and M14 at one point I switched from the Mil-Spec Lubriplate 130-A which was toxic to the Lubriplate SFL-0 which is non-toxic at the recommendation of the Lubriplate rep who said it was a better barrier lube and had the added advantage of being so safe you could technically spread it on toast and eat it, lol

All of my guns wear less than my friends who use plain oils with no grease round for round.

Added: I should mention I have been using Lubriplate since I got my first can from a DCM/CMP vendor in 1988.
    Last edited by Fröman; 04-03-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    ECYG and SAVAGEJIM thanked this.

The divots in question are on the right side of the photo just behind the piston. They look like two small black spots on the rail but in fact are chips of aluminum missing. I have called and spoken with FN. They say that since the rifle still functions that it's not a problem, however when I try to ask if this is normal they don't give me a straight answer. When I tried to send them the picture via email, They wanted nothing to do with it and wouldn't give me a non generic email, all they said was that if I wanted to send it in I could. He went on to explain limited lifetime warrantee and that if it ever did malfunction or break that they would take care of it so long as it falls in their limited warrantee (I.e. No dremel modifications or abuse) I have since put another 100 rounds through the weapon with only minor additional wear to show or report. Still no wear opposite the wear seen on the port side rail.
    Last edited by ECYG; 05-02-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talhoffer View Post
    I have several thousands of round through each of my SCARs a piece and IF ( don't doubting you) you have material chipped out or missing that does not seem right, the finish on my upper rails is worn but just the finish with no material displaced. I have only ever used Slip2000 EWL but recently started using Mil-comm TW25B grease, mainly cause I drank so of the Kool-aid. I would as others have already stated to look for anything on the carrier that could be digging into the rail and if you come up empty it might be worth calling FN and seeing if you can send it in to look at it. You will be out of the rifle for some time though and that is annoying.
    Funny you say that because that's what I tried to tell the FN rep on the phone, that chips of aluminum missing from the rail couldn't be normal.....and I kept getting the same answers. The guy on the phone refused to comment on the chipped rails and got really defensive when I told him I'd like to send in a photo for him to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Talhoffer View Post
    The BCG looks completely normal with polished metal exposed on the section that rides the rail. Nothing that looks unusual.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links