Unusual internal rail wear? You tell me. - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree53Thanks

Thread: Unusual internal rail wear? You tell me.

So now that I have gone back and for the most part responded to everyone's questions I'll go ahead and tell you guys that I had sent the weapon back to FN service department in Missouri before I ever posted this thread. I *****ed and *****ed and then I had my weapons dealer call FN to ***** for me. He was able to convince them to cover my shipping to FN for a look see. As I was in no way going to fork out the cash to send the thing back after what I was seeing on my weapon. So ......... Not only did they send the rifle back..... But in no way shape or form commented on the wear in question. In the box returned with the weapon was a service form that stated the rifle had been cleaned, lubed, and test fired and found to be functioning 100%. No mention of the unusual rail wear at all. I'm disappointed in FN. I expected more from them being a defense contractor and all. Not to mention the huge price tag on the SCAR 17s. I can honestly say that the customer service for FN has been below par. I have dealt with Remington, Century Arms, HKusa, and I.O. Customer service in the past and all of them blow my experience with FNUSA out of the water. I agree that this is not normal wear.....but apparently FN thinks so, they just won't tell me up front. They want me to assume that they think this is normal and they don't want to fix it until the weapon stops running properly. Well I want them to fix it before it becomes a problem.......before I'm up **** creek with my scar. Because when it breaks......it could be too late. So long story short, FN is doing nothing about this....at least not yet.
    Last edited by ECYG; 01-17-2016 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling

If anyone is having trouble seeing the divots I am talking about see if you can enlarge my picture by clicking on it for a better look.

I have carrier wear, Other have carrier wear. If you shoot your rifle enough you will get carrier wear. You sent you rifle back to FN and they said it was well within spec. I would say they did their job . Issues like cosmetics are the reason why FN will not provide shipping free anymore. I only sent my 57 back when the mags would not drop free and would seize up in the magwell. Guess what, they repaired and sent it back to me.
    ECYG and McCrapper thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

That sucks.

I do many things wrong with mine... Frog Lube which is probably on the very low end of acceptable warm weather lubes, (but I do run it wet on the wear surfaces), I don't clean after every outing, I let anyone shoot my Scar that wants to shoot it... and I barely have any wear in that area.

Luck of the draw.

I totally get both sides of this story too. You paid a ton of cash for a Scar 17 with a wear issue that is much greater than average or normal or anyone else we have seen report recently and you want this unusual atypical problem properly diagnosed and repaired so you have a "normal" functioning Scar 17.

FN apparently does not consider it out of specifications and will not fix a problem they don't agree is a problem.

In the long run this is a very bad business practice for FN. Scars cost too much to not feel like you are getting solid factory support. I would not be as critical if FN had written you a report that reassured you the wear was fine and what to look for so that you can determine if it ever becomes what FN would consider a problem. But you got none of that and that disappoints me.

I live near the US Glock factory. You take any Glock to them (or ship it) and they go through it and replace anything needing replacement and they install any outstanding updates... all while you wait about an hour... FOR FREE! No questions asked. I don't own any Glocks because I'm one of those nuts that was raised on external safety's and I won't own a semi-auto that does not have one. So despite being a "Glock Hater" I will be the first to tell you that Glock has the best factory support of any firearms brand I have ever heard of. FN would do well to learn from the Glock business model.
    ECYG and 713HoustonTX thanked this.
    <---- Introducing the Mityno1 Scar17-UltraLite
    The Litest Scar Evar!
    (matching loafers not included)

Quote Originally Posted by mityno1 View Post
    That sucks.

I do many things wrong with mine... Frog Lube which is probably on the very low end of acceptable warm weather lubes, (but I do run it wet on the wear surfaces), I don't clean after every outing, I let anyone shoot my Scar that wants to shoot it... and I barely have any wear in that area.

Luck of the draw.

I totally get both sides of this story too. You paid a ton of cash for a Scar 17 with a wear issue that is much greater than average or normal or anyone else we have seen report recently and you want this unusual atypical problem properly diagnosed and repaired so you have a "normal" functioning Scar 17.

FN apparently does not consider it out of specifications and will not fix a problem they don't agree is a problem.

In the long run this is a very bad business practice for FN. Scars cost too much to not feel like you are getting solid factory support. I would not be as critical if FN had written you a report that reassured you the wear was fine and what to look for so that you can determine if it ever becomes what FN would consider a problem. But you got none of that and that disappoints me.

I live near the US Glock factory. You take any Glock to them (or ship it) and they go through it and replace anything needing replacement and they install any outstanding updates... all while you wait about an hour... FOR FREE! No questions asked. I don't own any Glocks because I'm one of those nuts that was raised on external safety's and I won't own a semi-auto that does not have one. So despite being a "Glock Hater" I will be the first to tell you that Glock has the best factory support of any firearms brand I have ever heard of. FN would do well to learn from the Glock business model.
    A diagnosis on the wear is all I was really looking for, that's why I tried to send this very same picture to FN before sending it back. The service report they sent back was vague and didn't have any comments from an armorer or anything like that. I was disappointed too. A few comments from an FN armorer about what you mentioned would have made the biggest difference to me. Cud-does to FN for picking up the shipping though. Although had the right person at FN seen this picture they could have avoided shipping altogether had they been able to diagnose the photo and determine it wasn't an issue.
    Last edited by ECYG; 04-15-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    vertigosol thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigosol View Post
    I have carrier wear, Other have carrier wear. If you shoot your rifle enough you will get carrier wear. You sent you rifle back to FN and they said it was well within spec. I would say they did their job . Issues like cosmetics are the reason why FN will not provide shipping free anymore. I only sent my 57 back when the mags would not drop free and would seize up in the magwell. Guess what, they repaired and sent it back to me.
    I'm the kind of shooter that can't wait to scratch and scuff most of my weapons from training and competition. I love the worn in rugged look of a well used rifle, pistol, or shotgun. With that said the way it looked was not my concern. I merely used sight to determine how the rail looked. It looked rough and unusual to me. It looked like something that could potentially be a problem in the future. I just wanted a professional opinion from FN and I feel like I had to twist someone's arm to get one; and a vague one at that. Not to mention they never said or wrote anything about my weapon being "well within spec". Don't know where ya pulled that from bud.
    Last edited by ECYG; 04-16-2015 at 02:01 AM.
    vertigosol and Gos thanked this.

your picture is hard to tell whats going on besides little evidence of oil. I also think your confused as to what was going to happen when you sent it back. "armorer"? you have to understand most of the people that work at a "factory" are workers. and thats about it. they are not master craftsmen, gun smiths, or machinists. they just show up and do a job. they do what they have to do to not get fired and thats about it. I work at an aerospace engine parts supplier of critical rotating components. i went to school for engineering, have been machining for decades, design parts, produce engineering drawings and program CNC equipment. I am the exception. some people there you wonder how they tie their shoes in the morning. many manufacturers are the same way. they have go and no go gages and the worker checks the part and as long as it doesnt fall out of tolerance its good. it may be right on the edge of acceptable but it passes. this is not an ed brown custom you bought. yes they are expensive but they are still made en mass by workers in a factory. results may vary. use better oil.
    farmerted thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    So you posted this thread to see if everyone would agree with you? You know it's funny you mention that this is already past tense, I hate to say it...if I'm wrong, but after I posted on this thread last...I was thinking....I am almost 100% positive I've seen that photo before. Did you post the same pic under a different user name in the past?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, – go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.” “Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattyxj00 View Post
    So you posted this thread to see if everyone would agree with you? You know it's funny you mention that this is already past tense, I hate to say it...if I'm wrong, but after I posted on this thread last...I was thinking....I am almost 100% positive I've seen that photo before. Did you post the same pic under a different user name in the past?
    No to both questions. I started an account and posted a thread on this forum at the recommendation of my weapons dealer to get more opinions on the rail wear I was seeing and also because we got almost no feedback from FN. He took the picture on his phone while I held the weapon at his shop and then he emailed it to me. Bottom line is I just wanted to know if the wear was anything unusual and if it would cause me any headaches in the future. My biggest concern was the discovery that the BCG seemed to be chipping away aluminum in the carrier rail. Lastly I don't really understand what exactly I said that compelled you to ask if I posted this thread to see if everyone would agree with me. In this thread I've asked the community for their opinion about the pic I posted and the information I've supplied about my experience. I was hoping to hear from other shooters who have a lot more experience than I do their own scar 17s.
    Last edited by ECYG; 04-16-2015 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Umassot50 View Post
    your picture is hard to tell whats going on besides little evidence of oil. I also think your confused as to what was going to happen when you sent it back. "armorer"? you have to understand most of the people that work at a "factory" are workers. and thats about it. they are not master craftsmen, gun smiths, or machinists. they just show up and do a job. they do what they have to do to not get fired and thats about it. I work at an aerospace engine parts supplier of critical rotating components. i went to school for engineering, have been machining for decades, design parts, produce engineering drawings and program CNC equipment. I am the exception. some people there you wonder how they tie their shoes in the morning. many manufacturers are the same way. they have go and no go gages and the worker checks the part and as long as it doesnt fall out of tolerance its good. it may be right on the edge of acceptable but it passes. this is not an ed brown custom you bought. yes they are expensive but they are still made en mass by workers in a factory. results may vary. use better oil.
    Yes, I understand what you are saying; and yes armorer, I would hope to freaking baby Jesus that there are actual armorers at the FN Missouri service facility. If not, God help us all.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links