Unusual internal rail wear? You tell me.

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree53Thanks

Thread: Unusual internal rail wear? You tell me.

Unusual internal rail wear? You tell me.

Port side internal rail directly behind the piston. Unusual wear after only 440 rounds? You tell me. I wasn't concerned until I saw the 2 small divots in the aluminum.

420 rounds of 147grn fmj
    20 rounds of Tulammo 308
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ECYG; 05-02-2015 at 10:23 AM.

I am not sure about the rail wear but your rifle looks as dry as a bone and that divot doesn't really look like a friction wear spot. Is it shiny and the pics are just dark? The wear on my SCAR is shiny and very minimal at 1800 rounds but I use grease rather than oil on my rails.
    ECYG, trident187 and SAVAGEJIM thanked this.

Welcome to the forum.
    ECYG and SAVAGEJIM thanked this.
    It's not the things I did that keep me up at night.. it's the things I didn't do, but could have done, that's what has me losing sleep. - Me

I support veteran owned businesses. They supported America. Thank you for your service.
    Joshua 24:15

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Anyone else use anything other than gun oil there? My initial reaction to his pics was that it's too dry in there but I'm a SCAR noob so...
    ECYG thanked this.

I have same wear on both sides, I keep it greased....every scar17 I've seen that's actually shot has wear like that.
    ECYG and Bdcody01 thanked this.

Isn't that the rail that the carrier rides on? OP, can you post a pic of what your carrier looks like? Does it demonstrate similar wear marks? Do you oil that area up?
    ECYG and McCrapper thanked this.

When this picture was taken she was bone dry. Fresh from a gun scrubber bath, this was done to show divots in the rail for the picture and for my own personal inspection of the weapon after firing. She is usually lubed up with froglube paste.

Welcome!!!
    AMP PS90 trigger install:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Jan. 20, 2017 FREEDOM!!!

I'd like to thank everyone who's replied to my first thread so quickly. More about the rifle...... She has always been fired with a light film of oil or later on, froglube. She was liberally oiled from the factory,the BCG was layered with factory fresh citrus scented oil. Upon first and second inspection everything was looking good. I took her out with some 147 grain ball and sighted her in. With only one magazine I was forced to stop and reload but this gave me the perfect opportunity to inspect the rifle every 20 rounds. After 60 rounds or so she began to show small wear spots in the finish at the location in question..... No biggie. So I keep going, at 200 rounds I can clearly see a wear pattern forming, again..... No big deal. Now, after a night back home and a thorough cleaning, a light to moderate amount of froglube paste applied to the wear spots and other oil points as instructed by the owners manual. The next day we were back out on the range and put another 200 or so down the pipe. Upon inspection at the range the wear had increased on the rail but it wasn't until I got home and gave her a bath that I noticed the divots. That's when I went from thinking it was perfectly awesome finish wear to what I would like to describe as a steel BCG chewing away at an aluminum receiver rail. As for the opposing friction wear on the BCG, the little tabs are flat and shiny, in a symmetrical square pattern. So the BCG seems to be in spec and correctly cut. But I'm no expert so I'll get around to posting pictures later on for all to see. The spot in question seems to be smooth in some places but there also seems to be a jagged ridge of aluminum forming like a small mountain range ,only the mountain range is aluminum and the tectonic plate forcing the mountain range up is the steel BCG that's been riding those rails. Also worth noting is that the opposite rail.....is showing no signs of wear, at least on the top portion of the rail exactly opposite of the spot in question.

Hope this gives you a bit more insight into the life of this rifle. Recently bought in late February she was destined to be a shooter, a work horse, and a scarred up loudmouth showpiece at my gun club and preserve. I'm gonna ride her hard and put her away wet(oiled/greased) every time. No prude safe queen here....we've got the beginnings of a complete and total slut here! Fingerbang away!!!!
    SAVAGEJIM thanked this.

And that's the thing....I have a buddy who also has a scar 17 and his has a couple thousand rounds through it and its rails only have a light layer of the finish polished off. No gouges or divots, just smooth wear. I wouldn't describe the wear on mine as shiny but more of a dull bare metal finish. Flat out I wouldn't expect this....never seen this on the rails of an AK or HK etc.. There are literally chips of aluminum missing in the rail.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links