Scar 17s leaving light primer strikes on some ammo, causing misfire

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree7Thanks

Thread: Scar 17s leaving light primer strikes on some ammo, causing misfire

Scar 17s leaving light primer strikes on some ammo, causing misfire

I started shooting my new scar with quality Aguila 7.62 by 51 and 400 rounds deep no problems at all, as soon as i tried any mil spec or military surplus ammo, i would have maybe 2 out of 40 rounds not fire but leave a small small dent on the primer, any thoughts or anyone experience any similar problems,,,, thx, love my SCAR, a little OCD with it!

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Factory trigger? some guys who have changed their triggers to aftermarket triggers have had some failure to fire due to the light springs in those triggers. Some ammo mostly surplus ammo have hard primers so they require more force to set off and those lighter springs have trouble.

A little more info on your conditions will help.
    vz58kid and MEW thanked this.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

I suggest Shooting Sight's High Energy Hammer Springs for SCAR 16 and 17
    SCAR - HEHS High Energy Hammer Spring
    Canyon Man thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

What surplus? What do the primer strikes on the Aguilla look like? I have.shot a very diverse selection of surplus through my scar with geiselle trigger and have not had any problems.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter

Out of all the triggers I have sold, I had perhaps 2-3 who experienced this problem. I never figured out the root cause, but since it is not a broad problem I assumed it was not fundamental to the trigger design, so it must be some one off problem of excessive drag, or a hangup. Since I introduced the High Energy Hammer Spring, the problem has never come back.

So if you do identify something that is hanging up, or some other reason why you are getting the light strikes, please post your solution. In the meantime, the HEHS will likely make the problem go away. The HEHS has 35% more force, and 60% more energy than the OEM spring.
    Canyon Man and jasonmwillis thanked this.
    Art Neergaard
    ShootingSight LLC
    Offering the only adjustable 2-stage SCAR trigger

513-702-4879

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

@Shootingsight my scar does have the factory trigger installed, will the high energy spring do it or should i combine that with a whole new trigger as well?

Before you start swapping parts, you should try to figure out why your gun is doing that. Shoot a wider variety of ammo and take notes of brands/types and photos of light primer strikes. There is no reason why a stock SCAR17 would have an issue with light off primers on military ammo. That's what they design to shoot in the first place.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter

Now I am really interested. If the problem happens with OEM triggers as well, it means there is something hanging up inside the rifle, and as stated, since a couple of people who used my trigger had this problem, I want to know the solution. It seems that at a minimum I know it is not related to my trigger, but I still want to fix it.

I agree with fnfalman, it should not be happening, so I hate just putting on a bandaid and letting the problem continue to exist. I'd start witht he following:

Take out your hammer. It should be black. Look at it very carefully under a strong light with a magnifier, especially along the edges. Look for small silver spots where the black has been scraped off or is rubbing. These can indicate it is binding somewhere, so it cannot swing unimpeded. Look at the edges that swing past the hammer spring, as well as where they swing past the steel plate that is used to lock the pins.

Look at the underside edges of the bolt carrier and see if there are rub marks.

Take apart and look at the firing pin to see if it is sliding freely, or if there is an edge that is catching.

If you want to see if something is rubbing, degrease it, then color it with a blue or red sharpie (black works, but is tougher to see against black oxide coatings), then cycle it a few times, the sharpie will be rubbed away.

Look at the inside of the steel plate for rub or scratch marks ....

Put the hammer in without the spring and swing it by hand to see if it is catching.

Somewhere in there is a bur or an edge that is preventing a full swing.

If you want to try the spring, it should work with the trigger you have. No need to replace the trigger if you like the way it feels.
    Art Neergaard
    ShootingSight LLC
    Offering the only adjustable 2-stage SCAR trigger

513-702-4879

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    There's nothing wrong with the weapon.

If there were, the weapon would not have displayed intermittent primer ignition.

The only variable introduced was the ammunition and that is when the intermittent primer ignition issue manifested.

Short headspace and/or primers seated too deep can and do display this trait.
    BigBuckeyeGuy thanked this.

Sometimes surplus ammo usually comes on the market because of failures like this. If X amount of ammo is reported as bad, it hits the market.
    Talhoffer thanked this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links