what is some mid-range and best .308 ammo for SCAR 17S - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks Tree8Thanks

Thread: what is some mid-range and best .308 ammo for SCAR 17S

I wouldn't run steel cases through the SCAR. I wouldn't run it through anything but an AK.
    McCrapper thanked this.
    FN SCAR 17s, with tacticool stuff

For mid range, I feed mine surplus ball from anywhere you would drink the water.
    parapyropig thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

All Russian made ammo burns dirty. More cleaning needed.
    AMP PS90 trigger install:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Jan. 20, 2017 Obama leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMajors View Post
    Bulk XM118 is really good stuff. A step down to Bulk XM80 is still decent, but costs about half of the XM118.
    Sorry, there is a need to clarify, you want XM118LR. This is basically bulk military 175 grain match ammo. It should be from overruns of lake city army contracts, thus the low price, yet good quality.

I ran a few hundred of those rounds without the slightest hiccup. Yes it's rather dirty, but the 17s ate it up.

I had a chance this last weekend to put just over 400 rounds of Mk319 through it while ripping the hell out of an old pick up truck, and the penetration ability of that particular round is Unbelievable!
    Hic Sunt Leones

I wouldn't run steel cases through the SCAR. I wouldn't run it through anything but an AK.
    Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    I ran a few hundred of those rounds without the slightest hiccup. Yes it's rather dirty, but the 17s ate it up.

I had a chance this last weekend to put just over 400 rounds of Mk319 through it while ripping the hell out of an old pick up truck, and the penetration ability of that particular round is Unbelievable!
    Good to know, I don't care much about dirtiness.

Because steel cases are rougher than brass is on weapons. Brass is much softer. Plus, I reload, so the savings from cheap steel cases don't save me anything in the long run.

Because steel cases are rougher than brass is on weapons. Brass is much softer. Plus, I reload, so the savings from cheap steel cases don't save me anything in the long run.
    Steel case is fine. The accelerated wear is on your extractor and shell deflector... and you won't noticeably see that accelerated wear unless you shoot thousands of it. To a greater degree of concern is bi-metal jacketed projectiles. Since the bi-metal jacket is harder than copper, bore wear is a concern. But, again, it's not THAT big of a deal unless you shoot lots and lots of it. This whole "I won't shoot steel unless its an AK" notion is an overly generalized blanket statement that is not 100% correct. It is only correct based on the condition of volume of fire. Even with an AK, if you shoot nothing but steel you will still see wear after thousands of rounds.

Getting back on topic, yesterday I shot Colt 168 gr HPBT steel cased, PPU 168 gr HPBT, ZQI 147gr FMJ and Freedom Munitions remanufactured 168 gr A-MAX. The remanufactured A-MAX blew the rest out of the water. The consistency was impressive. Didn't have to try very hard at all to print overlapping groups at 100 yards. Price was good too, 240 rounds for $186.80. Plus, they've been having promotions like free shipping or 5% off.

For medium range, I'd venture to guess even the cheaper 155gr A-MAX would still be very good. But since the price difference isn't huge, 168gr is probably a better choice for greater flexibility.

If you don't reload yourself, Freedom has a brass trade-in program where you can send in your used brass for store credit.

I've shot the Colt Barnaul through a M1A scout, FN SPR A4 and now the 17. The M1A had inconsistent cycling issues with it because the steel case can be sticky. With the SPR it took effort to work the bolt at times. The 17, however, had zero issues. It just did not care and ran like a swiss watch.

Here's what I would do if you intend to stock up on ammo. Get some of both. Shoot the brass stuff now while prices are decent and save the Colt Barnaul for when prices spike again (like post Sandy Hook). Because in those times, brass ammo will be precious and scarce. Let 2014 be a lesson.

If you insist on avoiding steel, stock up on ZQI now for cheap plinking and for when times get rough. Granted it isn't 168 gr, but it will still shoot decently and it will gain value (being brass, more so than the Barnaul) when market demand increase. Price between the ZQ1 and Barnaul are very close.
    Last edited by fmunk; 07-04-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    Big Muddy thanked this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links