Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree8Thanks

Thread: what is some mid-range and best .308 ammo for SCAR 17S

what is some mid-range and best .308 ammo for SCAR 17S

cheers

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    The scar will eat anything (7.62x51/.308 flavor) you feed it. There is not really a "best" all round ammo for the 17. The best ammo depends heavily on the circumstances. Basically what are you looking to do with it?

For bench rest shooting would be 168gr match ammo. Federal gold medal match has it but I use PRVI 168gr BTHP match to great effect as well.

If you want to be cheap and you're just throwing lead down range at minute of man then some 7.62x51 147gr ball would be the best because it's the cheapest and will get the job done.

If you're hunting then it's highly subjective. There are a lot of good hunting rounds out there. I went with Barnes TSX and it got the job done and killed the deer but they ran too far for my liking. So I switched to Hornady 165gr soft points. It's not reccomended to shoot soft points out of the Scar because the tip of the bullet impacts the "feed ramp" pretty hard and deforms the soft lead tip. It also would cause lead fouling if you shot hundreds of rounds of soft points through it. If you're just shooting one here or there for hunting then it shouldn't be a problem. I tested them and the point of impact is very close to where my 168gr match rounds do which is a big plus in my book.

So as you can see you have to pick a round that matches your application. Also please note that this is all my opinion and your mileage may vary.

Happy shooting.
    Last edited by KameronTKelly; 06-23-2015 at 12:29 AM.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

Mine seems to do ok with Prvi 165gr.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

hi there. thanks for the reply. im a noob so please bare with me here. are all hunting rounds soft tip? whats the difference between hunting with soft tip ammo and ammo that isn't soft tip, like say bench ammo? would bench ammo be effective at hunting.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggersdown17 View Post
    hi there. thanks for the reply. im a noob so please bare with me here. are all hunting rounds soft tip? whats the difference between hunting with soft tip ammo and ammo that isn't soft tip, like say bench ammo? would bench ammo be effective at hunting.
    I put the info in your other thread as well. Match bullets are not generally used for hunting because they tend to fragment or separate upon impact. Hunting rounds do not have to be soft point. Sometimes they have a hollow tip or a balistic (polymer) tip. The tip is important but what's most important is how the core is constructed and if it's bonded to the jacket. If it's bonded it will hold together better as it travels through the animal leaving one would channel usually. That being said match rounds could be used for hunting in a pinch. They are very inconsistent though when it comes to the type of damage they do.
    Last edited by KameronTKelly; 06-23-2015 at 11:03 PM.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

Quote Originally Posted by KameronTKelly View Post
    That being said match rounds could be used for hunting in a pinch. They are very inconsistent though when it comes to the type of damage they do.
    Not to mention less humane with the distinct possibility over penetrating.

PRVI 168gr BTHP match works awesome and price is right ImageUploadedByOutdoor Forums1435328619.123028.jpg

Federal Classic and Remington Core-Lokt are two of your basic, common, affordable hunting rounds with adequate, reliably expanding bullets. Bullet weight may depend on game. I use a .308 bolt to hunt elk, deer, bear, wolf...all with the same load, but coyotes and prairie dogs get a lighter faster bullet. I'd say it's time for some research to see what bullet, and load suits your needs. But there are so many good options out there, it shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Kev
    For paper punching and range fun, Prvi surplus (145 gr I believe it was) is my favorite. For hunting, I have really liked the Hornady Whitetail 150 gr rounds. Everything I have shot thus far has dropped where it stood.
    Contrary to popular belief, I know exactly what I'm doing.

Bulk XM118 is really good stuff. A step down to Bulk XM80 is still decent, but costs about half of the XM118.
    FN SCAR 17s, with tacticool stuff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links