SCAR 17S FTF, Help please - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree26Thanks

Thread: SCAR 17S FTF, Help please

Quote Originally Posted by cagleco View Post
    I just purchased a 17S and it will not feed. I'm at a loss. I have two factory mags and I have tried three different ammo (including match grade). Both mags and all ammo does the same thing. When I release the bolt or rack the charging handle it doesn't go all the way forward. It normally goes about 3/4" short of all the way forward. When it does go all the way it will fire but will not cycle the next round. It is clean, not spotless but clean. Any ideas?
    * So you don't let the charging handle ride at all and it goes most of the way but gets stuck 3/4" short of all the way. Can you take a pic of this? Does it get stuck were you can't pull the charging handle back? Does it go all the way in when there is no snap cap/round present?

* When it goes all the way in and it shot did it eject or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Talhoffer View Post
    When the round does not fully chamber, is the extractor properly snapping over the rim of the case and engaging the case head.
    Check the extractor and the ejector that they are working properly and not bound up or loaded with brass shavings.
    Definitely check this cagleco. I have had this problem with a LE901 and had to clean up the extractor to make it work properly.

It does most of the time I guess. Since it will eject the round if I rack the charging handle. The extractor and ejector seem to be fine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

I will take a picture. It will come back no problem. It ejects the spent brass but does not cycle the next round completely.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    I'm somewhat at a loss since I can't put hands on it, at times I lean to something not right in the chamber and yet at times it chambers which seems the chamber is OK and maybe carrier group related issues.

If you have a 308 snap cap or dummy round, I think I'd try removing the trigger module (the lower) and cycle the snap cap. With the trigger module off you should be able to see the carrier cycle and maybe see if something in the bolt or receiver rails are hanging up. This should also eliminate mag or trigger module/bolt catch induced malfunction I would think.
    Other than that maybe a complete detailed cleaning of all the action parts and a serious cleaning of the chamber and locking lugs with a chamber brush and good cleaning fluid ( not just some CLP)
    I'd really inspect the cam pin and cam pin path for any odd marks or crud, the surfaces of the bolt and bolt body and if nothing stands out lube everything well with a quality lube.
    Pull the gas system and inspect the gas plug/regulator and piston.

If still the problem persists it might be time to have FN inspect it, unless someone else has some better useful recommendations.
    Last edited by Talhoffer; 03-03-2016 at 06:54 PM.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

Make sure it's cleaned and no krud in the action. Give it a coat of lube. Not frog lube! Check the mags for any gouges that might point to a magwell issue. That would be my first line of action.
    thenihipali5 thanked this.

Good advise. I took the lower off and it still does the same thing. So I'm pretty sure it isn't a mag thing. I understand the importance of a clean weapon, but I'm having a hard time believing a battle rifle would have these issues in the state it is in.

Quote Originally Posted by cagleco View Post
    Is this picture with or without a snap cap in there? Is the bolt hanging on to the snap cap or not? Does it close all the way freely when there is no snap cap in there?

Mine is butter smooth when there is no round on the bolt face. When there is a round in there and I baby the charging handle forward I get to the same point were yours get stuck.

Actually it really doesn't do it with the lower is off. I just realized I was riding the charging handle. It does seem to that the last 1/2" to 3/4" is really difficult to move forward when I ride the bolt forward.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links