SCAR 17S FTF, Help please - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree26Thanks

Thread: SCAR 17S FTF, Help please

It actually has a round in the chamber, not a snap cap. With no round in the chamber, I can ride the bolt forward and it goes all the way forward no problem.

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    1) What type of ammunition (brand and bullet eight) are you running?

2) Do not run the weapon like a bolt action. Use the bolt release lever OR slingshot the carrier by drawing the CH to the rearmost position and let her fly.

3) If it's picking up a fresh round, it should chamber unless there is something in the chamber OR the headspace is short which in that case no cartridge should chamber.

4) Gas piston ring end gaps are to be staggered
    trident187 thanked this.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cagleco View Post
    Good advise. I took the lower off and it still does the same thing. So I'm pretty sure it isn't a mag thing. I understand the importance of a clean weapon, but I'm having a hard time believing a battle rifle would have these issues in the state it is in.
    I'm not thinking it hanging up from simply being dirty, I have run mine to a point that it was changing color on the inside and outside of the rifle from all the suppressor blow back without malfunctions but more that there is something we're not seeing. A piece of brass shavings, a damage piece, remnants of a broken case, something. Did the previous owner shot steel case ammo or hand loads, what did he say as to why he was selling the rifle. Something is just being missed.
    kansas thanked this.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

Someone else touched on this, but...Have you confirmed smooth function of the ejector and extractor? Gunk can get packed in/around either, causing issues, and everything from spring issues to bad machining could also be in play. You can do a basic test on both without using a round or snap cap, and I'd advise exactly that, as it'd be safer and possibly more telling.

ETA: I realize you mentioned having already checked, but it could be an intermittent issue, and checking further can't hurt. Lots of other good advise thus far; I'm just trying to help.
    Last edited by Spook76; 03-03-2016 at 08:28 PM.
    kansas thanked this.
    "Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."--Robert Heinlein

Why not have your cake, and eat it, too? It's cake...What else are you going to do with it?

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Actually it really doesn't do it with the lower is off. I just realized I was riding the charging handle. It does seem to that the last 1/2" to 3/4" is really difficult to move forward when I ride the bolt forward.
    The extractor on the SCAR bolts are crazy stiff, they need the force of the recoil spring and mass of the carrier to snap it over the rim of the case. As stated above pull back and let it fly to give the bolt the needed force to chamber.
    If this is the case and without the lower it chambers fully, then with the lower on but no mag and the problem comes back now we might be narrowing down something to the trigger module.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

Nosler Match Grade 168 gr bthp, Winchester 150 gr Power Point and Perfecta 147 gr FMJ. I'm releasing the bolt via the release and racking it all the back. It does it when I am just trying to put a round in the chamber, not only when firing, so I don't think it a gas piston problem, but I did check it and clean it and rings are correct.

I'm just wondering if you fired it before you bought it. When you cleaned and inspected it did you notice any gouges or metal flakes? I'm reaching here, It's hard not having my eyes on it. Is there any chance of a slam fire before purchase?

I bought through a close friend. I never fired it prior to purchase, but he did and it fired fine. I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

I bought through a close friend. I never fired it prior to purchase, but he did and it fired fine. I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
    Where are you located (roughly). There might be someone knowledgable near by.
    A.O. thanked this.

I would pull the carrier back out and remove the bolt and clean and lube both the bolt and carrier, gotta be the bolt not rotating under load if you can drop a round in the chamber by hand. When stuck, can you drive it in, like a forward assist. Be careful trouble shooting this thing ( goes without sayin ).

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links