New Optic - 1-6 Variable ? - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree16Thanks

Thread: New Optic - 1-6 Variable ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jgunselman View Post
    I know I'll get beat up about the Burris, but I had 3 gun intentions when I got the Burris MTAC 1.5x6 for the Scar. Great low power red dot feel and acceptable range up to x6.

However, I have since moved it to a blackout gun and am in the market for a 4x16 Vortex because I want to start shooting it a little further.
    Aye. I too moved my 1-6x SWFA to my subsonic suppressed .300 Blackout AR as well because .300Blk subs hit like .45 auto, but is far more accurate and doesn't lose power like .45 auto so it is a good short range varmint setup for me.

The current state of the art with optics choices requires compromised to be made, including but not limited to:

1) Cost
    2) Ruggedness
    3) Weight
    4) Clarity and quality of the glass
    5) Overall quality, brand reputation and warranty
    6) Magnification
    7) Reticle
    ect. ect. ect.

So optics selection is really depends on what you want to do well verses what you don't care about doing at all. For my Scar 17, I would rather not do anything exceptionally well in order to be able to do any shooting task at least adequately. Yes, more glass on a bolt gun will be more accurate, and yes, less glass on an SBR'd AR will spray more lead faster at close range... but you need to carry both that bolt gun and that SBR to beat me at those tasks when I only my Scar 17 to do either task acceptably at the same time. I won't win any 3 gun completions with my Scar 17 setup, you need at least 3 proper guns to fulfill the "requirements" to compete in a 3 gun competition... but I promise you I can still hit all of the targets, pistol, stationary shotgun targets and rifle targets on any 3-gun range with only my Scar 17, and I can do it in not a lot more time than a real competitor with the proper 3 different guns. I want as generic and most utility I can get, even if it means I don't do any specialized shooting task better than just good enough to be acceptable. So I wanted an optic that would cover the broadest range of shooting tasks.

I found my vision makes a high magnification FFP like the top of the line Leopold's unusable for me at lower magnification because the reticle becomes too blurry when the power is turned down low.

So I opted for a ~$3k March 2.5x25x42 SFP Tactical Illuminated (they also make it in FFP). It is made in Japan by Deon and is excellent glass and is also lighter than the Leopold's or any similar scope. I know that some will say you need 2x maximum for hunting, especially here in GA because you need the field of view. But 2.5 seems to work for me and 25x lets me identify things at a distance which extends my range as much or more than good eyes can see with lower magnification.

My Scar 17 is my "One Rifle for Everything Adequately" firearm and my March 2.5-25x is my current "One Optic for Everything Adequately" scope.

But that's the thing with my ADM mounts... I can swap scopes from rifle to rifle in seconds and then zero them back in.

ADM FTW!
    <---- Introducing the Mityno1 Scar17-UltraLite
    The Litest Scar Evar!
    (matching loafers not included)

Im pretty interested in the primary arms platinum 1-8,i just cant find many reviews on it...when i first bought my scar 17 i got on here and took everyones advice and got the leupold mark 8 with the horus reticle and love it ,glad i didnt get a vcog..now i just bought a 16s and have the same problems of finding a optic for it. Im really thinking about getting the platinum 1-8 but how rugged is it? One review someone posted that they contacted PA asked them how durable it was and the answer they got was patrol use. What is considered patrol use?i love the acss reticle they have, is it daylight bright?also on 1x how fast is it compared to a aimpoint or say like another 1-× scope like a trijicon 1-6 with the triangle everyone uses? Thanks, sorry for so many questions.

A ffp reticle essentially becomes just a cross hair at low mag. Similar to a red dot sight. You wouldnt want a reticle on a 1x red dot would you? Thats partly why some people like scopes that go to true 1x even if they are ffp you essentially dont need an extra red dot on there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

I have a leupold mark 8 1.1-8...i know how ffp reticles work,at 1x they are used like a red dot, maybe i should have worded my questions different....im just asking if at 1x is it daylight bright , sorry for the confusion guys...also trying to compare the PA scope to other scopes, and comparing it to my mark8 with the horus reticle...

As a VCOG 1-6x owner and FFP fan, I look at the PA 1-8x and see a scope I would probably like. However, they weigh about the same (the VCOG 28oz includes its mount; not the case with the 26.5oz PA so the PA is actually going to be heavier). PA doesn't have the bomb-proof reputation of Trijicon's ACOG/VCOG series but it does have 8x which would be very tempting if I were in the market. Price wise, the PA doesn't include mounting hardware and the VCOG does. So the VCOG is more expensive but not by a lot, depending on when and where you buy it. Can't go wrong with either.

I highly recommend you go to every LGS you can and put hands on as many scopes as possible. Thats how I decided to get the VCOG. It wasn't even on my list until I handled one and looked through it.
    Joshck thanked this.

JMM
    I am realllllllllly liking my Mark6 1-6 with the CMR-W 7.62 reticle. Product #114337.

https://www.leupold.com/reticles/cmr-w-762-illuminated/

I drove all the way to buds gun shop to look at the mark 6 1-6 and it had the same reticle, the battery was dead though and they were busy and i could tell the guy didnt really want to fool with me, is it daylight bright when illuminated on 1x and does it flicker any...

Quote Originally Posted by Joshck View Post
    I drove all the way to buds gun shop to look at the mark 6 1-6 and it had the same reticle, the battery was dead though and they were busy and i could tell the guy didnt really want to fool with me, is it daylight bright when illuminated on 1x and does it flicker any...
    I have that exact scope the Mark6 1-6X with the CMR-W 7.62 reticle. Nice bight optics, very light but has a very unforgiving eye box. Your head has to be in the exact position every time or the red dot, which is very hard to see in any case, will flicker. If I had to use the illumination much the scope would be gone. It's now on a H&K SR9TC. Other than that a nice cope but a bit on the expensive side.
    I now have a Bushnell Elite FDE FFR ERS 3.5-21X50 in an ADM Recon S mount. The 1-6X was enough magnification for me. YMMV

Last edited by samnev; 08-26-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    BigBuckeyeGuy and Squatch thanked this.

Millett 1x6x24.

I've had a VCOG for about a year. After trying several other options. I like the VCOG best for this rifle
    Squatch thanked this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links