FN Herstal Firearms banner

3.5 vs 7moa

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  StuO 
#1 · (Edited)
I was wondering what most guys use in competition 3.5moa or 7moa optic?
Im considering getting into the competition shooting and would also be used for Home Defense.
Thanks Much

#2 ·
I posted the following on another thread last month

I went with a Trijicon RMR RMO6 3.25 MOA. Even I see something on the internet or youtube that makes me want to be a hero. As I have gotten older, intelligence kicks in and takes over versus adolescent ignorance.

The vast majority of us who own an FNP-45T will never use it in a tactical situation. Some of us have access to a Mout or Takedown site where an MOA of 6 or higher will have its applications. To be honest though, most will just go to a range or shoot cans or melons. Depending on your distance and skill, you will probably miss the can or melon at a greater distance with an MOA of 8.That gets irritating and will question your decision on such a large red dot sight.

For the non-tactical owner of a tactical sidearm, the 3.25 or 4 MOA would be a better choice. Your shots will have more precision to them. Nothing shouts range hero more than having a nice sidearm and being able to shoot a 1-3 MOA shot group. Nothing shouts weekend warrior more than having a nice sidearm and a target that looks like you shot it blindfolded with buckshot. It is really fun to take an Ahmadinejad target to the range and put a couple right through his eyes with a smaller MOA. You can be sighted on target and miss a head shot with a larger MOA.

I know that there are companies working on variable MOA red dot sights. I believe they have a shutter similar to a camera that changes the aspect size of the LED. I am sure that the cost will be expensive though.

I chose the RMO6, because I tried the dual illumination, and it does wash out with white light that is higher than 65 lumens. For those EMP conspiracy theorists, tritium also discharges in an EMP field. The RMR is EMP hardened I believe.

Just to set the record straight, odds are that I will never have to use my FNP-45T in a tactical situation. I pray to God I won't, but I will be prepared. I do not think that I will ever have to live through an EMP, but I will be prepared.

Hope I didn't step on any toes, and enjoy squeezing your triggers.

#3 · (Edited)
With Eotech's on my AR-15's I can shoot 1moa, under 1moa with the high-end scope.
For my FN-SLP I was considering the C-More optic.
Ive heard quite a few guys have these on FN-SLP's.
I dont know many that can shoot 1-3moa at 100yds with shotgun slugs with a smooth barrel.

#4 ·
The Trigicon RMR 3.25 MOA works great on my FNP 45 T up to 25 yds with my crappy 64 year old eyes. Great fun at the range for me and others who have used the weapon. Gun extremely accurate with the RMR off. Nice to have if Inever have to use for home defense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.