Picked up my FN 509 today! And a FNS 9C FDE...

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree33Thanks

Thread: Picked up my FN 509 today! And a FNS 9C FDE...

Picked up my FN 509 today! And a FNS 9C FDE...

I was trying to wait until they came to the LE program so I could get 3 mags and night sights, but I ended up finding one locally and he gave me a break on price, so I couldn't resist!

First thoughts overall - This gun feels AMAZING! I have large hands and run the small back strap... It fits like a glove, very natural point of aim and ergos are fantastic! Unlike FNS and FNX pistols I've had in the past, the mags drop freely with no binding, no warped front rail, and over all the gun just feels well built ! Im an admitted HK Fan boy and it took a lot to sell my VP9s, but with my duty weapon being a Sig, the difference between the HKs and Sigs was causing training issues with out of holster/fast fire so the HKs had to go. I replaced the VP9 with a P320 and just couldn't like it. Thankfully the FN pistols aim quite similar to the Sigs and I could go back and forth with the two and not have any POI shift regardless of which gun I picked up.

Downsides? The trigger plain sucks. It is so gritty it almost feels as if its not going to reset when you let off. Maybe mine was the model that got dirt tested and not cleaned, but I almost felt as if at times it wasn't going to reset. Shot 200 rounds through it today without a hiccup other than the trigger... accuracy was fantastic, nice light recoil, follow up shots were fast, sights are fantastic... really zero complaints when shooting other than the trigger.

On to the FNS 9C FDE... I paid retail since these aren't on the LE program either in FDE, but having two FDE Scars, this looks right at home with 3 shades of FDE! Now this gun has a TERRIFIC trigger! Out of the box it was absolutely flawless and a total pleasure to shoot, and replaced my P320 Compact FDE as my off duty carry. I had read the FN 509 was supposed to get the same trigger, but that sure as heck wasn't the case for me (few of the range guys shot them as well since their shop hadn't seen a 509 yet, similar opinions!).

In closing, while I'm disappointed with the trigger, I'm hoping the gun breaks in a bit. As of this second, I still like the gun a lot, but I feel like its lagging behind HK, and even Sig and the new Beretta APX with the disgusting trigger. I will probably shoot it a couple more times next week and decide if I'm going to try a Beretta APX since they are also quite nice firearms.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Smurky, Big Muddy, Dynowhite and 6 others thanked this.

Thanks for the review Mike,

I'm wondering if over time the trigger's grittiness will smooth out from use. I have one on order at my LGS but won't purchase if it has a terrible trigger. I have a P320C but do not like the high bore axis are you saying the 509 and P320 have a similar high bore axis? That would be a deal breaker.
    LESTER thanked this.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Thanks for the post-- looking forward to getting my hands one one too. My lgs hasn't received ten yet.
    Last edited by Troublesx10; 04-29-2017 at 04:47 PM.
    LESTER thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMac View Post

I'm wondering if over time the trigger's grittiness will smooth out from use. I have one on order at my LGS but won't purchase if it has a terrible trigger. I have a P320C but do not like the high bore axis are you saying the 509 and P320 have a similar high bore axis? That would be a deal breaker.
    Not at all, the FN is nice and low with a very smooth recoil!

Quote Originally Posted by Troublesx10 View Post
    Thanks for the post-- looking forward to getting my hands one one too. My legs hasn't received ten yet.

In case you can't wait, thats where I almost ordered from until I found one locally.
    Last edited by HK SD9 Tactical; 04-29-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Non vendor advertising. Hot links to non venders not allowed.
    Troublesx10 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMac View Post

Don't think there is any striker on the market with as high a bore axis as a P320, not even a Canik.

Quote Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
    Don't think there is any striker on the market with as high a bore axis as a P320, not even a Canik.
    Oddly enough, that P320 is one of the nicest shooting, and easiest to shoot accurately, handguns I've ever played with. I just find it hideous and awkward to the point of while it shot well, I hated carrying it. What sold me is while I'm a surgeon with my VP9s, I picked up that gun for the first time and printed an identical group to my VP9. The VP9 has one of the higher "Felt Recoils" of the striker guns, but it shoots very well and goes back on target quickly. Seems like the FN so far is a winner, I will have a better idea when I get to around 1,000 rounds on it. I ended up ordering a Beretta APX last night, so I'm just going to try all the new striker guns and see what I like best!
    villdetwink thanked this.

Congrats Mike on your new pistols. Good looking pair there!

Interesting.. Thanks for the honest review. I'm a trigger snob so I'll report back once I pick mine up.

I absolutely love my 9C and it's become my carry gun. I've never shot a pistol better from the first round. I like to think I've become a better shooter, but it's probably the gun.
    villdetwink thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Congrats! FenixMike on your two new FN aqusitions
    Smurky, dank and hillbillyjim thanked this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links