Lemon...maybe

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree16Thanks

Thread: Lemon...maybe

Lemon...maybe

Let me start by saying I have a safe full of handguns both in the hammered and striker flavors (no glocks)so I'm fairly well versed in this arena. Bought a 509 over the weekend at the LGS for a decent ($510.00 plus tax) price. Once outside, not allowed to dry fire or remove zip tie through barrel while in venue, noticed that the trigger stays "locked back" unless you cycle the slide...meaning once it breaks it does/will not move forward. having never owned a FN this may be their MO so I don't know...anyway fast forward two hours, get home, strip, CLP, load both mags. One from the "bucket box", this is where I randomly empty a variety of ammo to shoot without rhyme or reason when I first purchase a gun just to see if it will eat anything, and the second with Federal 124gr. EVERY round either stove piped or never got farther out than 3/4 of the way of the chamber...both mags. any similar experience with this? and is the trigger thing standard or is this wrong as well?

On a striker fired pistol the trigger will not reset until the slide moves rearward just a short distance. This resets the striker safety and puts everything where it should be. Normal on Glocks and every other striker fired gun.
    When dry firing you have to get in the habit of pulling the slide back just a little until you hear the reset.

Don't know about your 509 but first I would remove the barrel and drop one of those same rounds into the chamber and see if it makes a plunk sound and then can be dumped out by tilting the muzzle up. This will tell you that the OAL is ok for that particular pistol. If that is OK I would try several different brands of bullets with different bullet profiles to see if the 509 just doesn't like the ones you are shooting.

Lastly I have heard it is not unusual for FN pistols to require a break in period before you get reliable function.

I hope you can get it figured out.
    Tompow thanked this.

Thanks Frank... Update: Spoke to FN. The trigger is designed to stay locked back as there is NO reset spring so when the slide is fully cycled it resets the trigger by design. So trigger is fine. I guess my explanation wasn't too clear. I did drop a variety of ammo into the barrel and the chambering isn't too tight... told FN support that I would give them the benefit of the doubt and run a mag of +P and a mag of Speer gold dot through it tonight to see if that functions properly. If not then an RMA will be the first thing on my agenda tomorrow morning. As far as the whole break in thing...never been a big fan of that. Hear that on a lot of guns and it just rubs me wrong (btw, not you saying it rubs me wrong but the fact that it needs to happen or it's now the industry standard reply right out of the gate). Same with the whole "try different ammo" thing. Duty pistol is a DUTY pistol... should shoot TULAmmo if need be...lol.
    deadduck357 thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

The return springs on the guide rods of the FNS pistols are a bit stiff, perhaps a heavier weight than other pistols. Sorry I don't know what pound spring it is. But the 9mm FNS pistols do sometimes need breaking in. It's recommended to use 124 grain bullets for the first couple hundred rounds rather than the 115 grainers. This is normal on the FNS pistols, and it is indeed a plus. The heavier springs handle the hotter self defense loads very well. Don't worry, it will shoot great for you. I know it can be disheartening to have a failure to feed out of a new pistol. Give it a couple hundred rounds, perhaps not that many, but it will break in fine. The trigger is also a plus like that. Just by looking at the trigger you can see if the pistol is cocked and ready to fire. It also has a good reset, and doesn't break too far back like many pistols out there. The break in period shouldn't be disheartening for you. You are getting a fine recoil impulse because of the springs FN is using in these pistols. I have the .40 FNS, and it's a very mild shooting .40...it's those springs they use. Shoot it and enjoy !!! : )

Thanks Canyon... couldn't figure out the reasoning behind the trigger but I like your thought process!!! just a pain to shoot, drop mag, clear, insert mag, rack, shoot lol...Time will tell. I have no doubt I'll be happy. not the first gun I've bought that spent it's first week out of jail on a UPS truck. Last month a new Springer RO was so tight frame to slide it wouldn't cycle. Trip back on day two of owning did get rewarded by Springfield with a full length guide rod and a tuned 4.5 lb. trigger for my trouble! maybe FH will throw in a t-shirt if it has to go back!
    Canyon Man and hillbillyjim thanked this.

Well any update?

Quote Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
    Well any update?
    So update is FN says run more 124gr until breaks in. So far I have ran an additional 50 American Eagle and 50 Magtech 124 through with no problems but will absolutely not run anyone's 115 yet...Gonna give it the benefit of the doubt for another 100 or so but after that unless it changes, back it goes. Didn't buy a 124gr only gun...its a tack driver though.
    Smurky and hillbillyjim thanked this.

Newcomer to FN Forum. Have three, FS 2000, FN509, and FNS9c. Love all. Got 509 two weeks ago, took home and thoroughly cleaned, and ran 100 rnds of 115g thru it without incident. Found magazines to be really tight, so loaded and let sit for 24 hrs and reloaded, several times. Don't know how that may have helped. But no issues.
    On a different front... DeSantis has an IWB that fits the 509 Perfectly! 106B6, fits the G19 and XDm 9 in their listings. It requires very little break in with great retention for an IBW.
    Anyone exploring Night sights? Saw a rumor that Sig sights may work.
    Thanks
    hillbillyjim and Tompow thanked this.

Disconcerning to say the least. I really hope it work out for you but I feel it should run out of the box.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Tompow
    ...anyway fast forward two hours, get home, strip, CLP, load both mags. One from the "bucket box", this is where I randomly empty a variety of ammo to shoot without rhyme or reason when I first purchase a gun just to see if it will eat anything, and the second with Federal 124gr. EVERY round either stove piped or never got farther out than 3/4 of the way of the chamber...both mags. any similar experience with this? and is the trigger thing standard or is this wrong as well?
    Stove pipes are typically (but not always) caused by the extractor losing its grasp on the round being extracted. A round never getting more than 3/4th of the way out of the chamber also suggests that the extractor is losing it's grasp, too. Check that the tip of the extractor isn't chipped or not closing tightly on the case rim as the slide is manually pulled be. The next time out, examine the rims of the cases that aren't making the trip to the ejector...

Using a mix of ammo randomly selected from a bucket of left-overs is a good function test, but it makes better sense to start with known good ammo first. Then, if things run well, you try your Kennedy's Mixture. It's hard to diagnose a problem with a mix of ammo, and if the 124 gr. ammo used in your second magazine was bargain ammo (and some Federal is just that), you may or may not have an ammo issue.

Winchester White Box 115 gr. or 124 gr. causes problems for some guns. As does some aluminum-cased ammo. I had problems with WWB 115 gr. some years ago in some CZs, but never had problems with Blazer aluminum-cased ammo which caused others problems. Back when I had the WWB problems, I found that the extractor groove at the rim of the cases were different on that ammo -- like < rather than /_ . WWB has since changed the extractor groove on their cheapest ammo m Check your ammo. It may be the gun, but it could be an ammo issue, too.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 05-13-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    Smurky and Tompow thanked this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links