Changing Stocks - Page 2

FN Forum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree6Thanks

Thread: Changing Stocks

Sorry to revive a thread that may have been covered somewhere else. I just picked up my FNAR 16". The stock is nice but I do like a more traditional stock. You all spoke of the ShortTrac BAR above. Here is a link to a picture on Brownings site.
    Large Images - BAR LongTrac Stalker

Tell me that shim doesn't look exactly like my FNAR shims and the pictures are very similar to that in my manual. Has anyone since 2010 tried swapping out these stocks?

I will confirm that both Browning shortrack stocks do work on the FNAR...because I did it on mine for big game hunting and to reduce weight.
    Ironminer thanked this.

I ordered a ShortTrac Stalker stock and they sent a damn FNAR stock! Waiting for the replacement now. Since I live in The People's State of NY, I NEED the ShortTrac to keep my FNAR from being a scary assault weapon.

@8Point Greetings fellow New Yorkistan!
    I waited too long on this purchase, Like you I prefer the standard stock over the pistol grip. I guess I should try to pick up some 10 round mags if they can be found. Do you think I would be able to find one of these FN FNAR's without the pistol grip in the future? Private sale, or maybe a dealer could provide the modification?

FNH USA - FNAR 308 5rd Magazine : Pistol Magazines & Pistol Clips at GunBroker.com These can be converted to 10 rounders. I know there were a few "regular stocked" FNAR's made. There was one on gunbroker for awhile. I would go to PA or Vermont and get one and add the compliant stock later.

@8Point
    Thanks for the advise! Don't know if the dealers will work with me, but maybe I'll give it a try. They could always sell it to me with the "evil" feature removed?

As I understand it, you can buy guns from bordering states. Vermont and PA don't have bans yet. I would not even bother with trying to buy one in NY. If you were to buy in a bordering state, and have the non-pistol grip stock on hand before taking possession, and had the dealer install it, I believe according to the law, that you have not purchased an "assault weapon" as defined in NY, and you would not be subject to registration, and would not have obtained an "assault weapon" after the SAFE Act took effect. I'd take a road trip if I were you if you really want one. That being said, I cannot assume any responsibility for any actions you may take based on my advice here. If anyone here thinks what I've advised may be illegal, please speak up.
    TopCat thanked this.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    @8Point Greetings fellow New Yorkistan!
    I waited too long on this purchase, Like you I prefer the standard stock over the pistol grip. I guess I should try to pick up some 10 round mags if they can be found. Do you think I would be able to find one of these FN FNAR's without the pistol grip in the future? Private sale, or maybe a dealer could provide the modification?
    Howdy my fellow New Yorkistanians! (funny, that does look like a former Soviet Block country name)
    We outta get together and bust some caps together sometime!

Yeah, I went to the LGS to see about the ShortTrack stock . . . no can do! Out of stock (no pun intended)! And after I spent all that $$ on the ACE Reveiver Block, folding, M4 collapsable stock.

Midway has what you need in NY

I posted this on another thread, but just in case it was missed, Midway has a replacement rear stock for under $50. It is out of stock, but they expect to have them available 2/13/13.
    Ironminer thanked this.

@Whitesheep- I can't find that on Midway's site. Only Bell & Carlson ones for a lot of $$$ Unfortunately I paid $90 for one from Browning. Then they sent an FNAR stock. Now I'm waiting for them to tell me they are out of stock and can't replace it. *Nevermind. Found it.
    Last edited by 8Point; 02-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links