Post Your Most Accurate Load Data Here - Page 8

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Thanks Tree10Thanks

Thread: Post Your Most Accurate Load Data Here

IMG_1427.jpg
    First set of reloads for my FNAR. Pretty basic: 44, 45, and 46 gr Varget, COAL 2.80, case trimmed to 2.015, and 168gr HPBT Hornady. Depicted is the 45 gr. which seemed to be the best grouping. For comparison, here are 5 shots Hornady 168r match shot at the same session.
    IMG_1429.jpg
    I'll continue experimenting, but happy so far.
    Last edited by Geoman; 03-01-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    kansas thanked this.

Just wondering what brass your loading. I finally found varget and i'm looking to develop some hunting rounds. The bullets i'm going to use are hornady 165gr btsp as well as nosler 150 grain accubonds. I will be shooting them in my FNAR as well as my SCAR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoman View Post
    IMG_1427.jpg
    First set of reloads for my FNAR. Pretty basic: 44, 45, and 46 gr Varget, COAL 2.80, case trimmed to 2.015, and 168gr HPBT Hornady. Depicted is the 45 gr. which seemed to be the best grouping. For comparison, here are 5 shots Hornady 168r match shot at the same session.
    IMG_1429.jpg
    I'll continue experimenting, but happy so far.

Brass was nickel plated brass from Hornady match ammo, cleaned and resized. My scope is calibrated for the 168 gr. match ammo, so I'm sticking with that projectile. I'm going to test a series using 4064 at 43, 44, 44.5, 45, and 46 gr next. Just finished loading them tonight. These are all in once fired brass casings trimmed to 2.015 with COAL of 2.800. I went to the range last Saturday to work on some additional loads, but high winds(gusting to 30MPH) made it a no go for testing accuracy.
    kansas thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

150gr Sierra GK seated to 2.104 at the ogive with 1 MOA accuracy
    165gr Sierra GK seated to 2.123 at the agive with unacceptable accuracy, but the best of the group. Maybe my FNAR doesn't like this bullet weight or maybe 42gr of IMR-

White Sheep: If you are still on this post, could you tell me what your COAL is for the 150 gr and 165 gr Sierra GK? I had been loading Hornady A-max's at COAL of 2.800 (I was getting some tip deformity from the chambering at 2.810 so I had backed off to 2.800). I wanted to do some hog hunting and I loaded my first 165 gr Sierra GK's and went to the range last night. I had put these at a 2.800 COAL also, but when they chambered, and I ejected a full cartridge to check everything, only the case came back out and the bullet stuck in the barrel (!!). I repeated this 3 times and the same thing happened. So I went home and arbitrarily seated the bullets on 20 rounds, to a 2.765 COAL. Have not taken these to the range, but thought I would get your measurement to see if I am in the right COAL range. Thanks,

Hi markwells, I would be glad to share my data with you. Note that all COAL gauges are a little different, so you may have to try COAL's that are a little different than mine. I move my COAL in 0.040" increments based on the advice of Eric Stecker at Berger. Works for me.

150 gr Sierrra GK over 42.0 grains of IMR-4064 at 0.170" off the lands for a COAL (using my Hornady Gauge) of 2.204" resulted in the following group of 5. Shame about the flyer isn't it
    FNAR 150 gr SGK.jpg
    165 gr Sierra SBT GK over 45.9 grains if Vhit N550 at 0.028" off the lands for a COAL (my Hornady Gauge) of 2.265" left the muzzle at 2530 fps and resulted in the following group of 5:
    FNAR 165 gr SGK.jpg

I don't know why the 165's like to be set out so much further than the 150's, but they sure do. The 165 grain Sierra SBT's are more consistent for me as I have knocked over iron sheep at 500 meters off the bench repeatedly with this load as well as generated the target you see here. This is now my go to load for this rifle.

Neither of these loads are max, but they are close. Work up accordingly and as always, be careful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    kansas thanked this.

Whitesheep, I'm wondering if you use a headspace comparator to measure the fired brass before resizing and if you have an average measurement. I sized some brass before I purchased mine and ended bumping the shoulder back a little bit too far. My fired brass is coming out at about 1.628 with the hornady headspace comparator and I try to size back by .002-.003 before reloading.

Hi Kansas, Yes, I set up my dies to bump back the shoulder a specific amount, but quite a bit more than you are doing. I believe I am setting them back about 0.010". I want to be sure they chamber easily even if there is a little dirt or moisture in the chamber. For my bolt action rifles I just neck size. Before I was "turned on" to using the comparator to set up my dies I just went with the RCBS instructions. I am sure this introduced variances in my brass session to session. I am always learning and always will be, but I think this is one reason I am having better consistency then when I started reloading for the FNAR.

BTW I grew up in Wichita so I like your user name.
    kansas thanked this.

As I have worked up rounds for this rifle, I am finding that some projectiles are more difficult to set to the proper OAL. I have purchased a comparator and associated components, but before going forward, I would appreciate those who have done the same to give their settings as a starting point for rounds that they have loaded. What works best for your FNAR; Bullet weight, powder, OAL, length at OGIVE?

Thanks.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Sponsored Links