FNAR for hunting???

FN Forum

FNAR for hunting???

I don't post here much, but I just recently bought an FNAR. I was originally looking for a hunting rifle, but I could not pass up the deal CDNN was having on them. I got the light barrel version 20 inch barrel for 1100.00 with all the freebies they give.

I will be using this for hunting, but I'm wondering if I made a dumb buy thinking I can hunt with this???? What do you guys think?

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Magazine capacity is the only problem. I've heard there are 5 round mags out there but I've never seen one. If not, you'll have to modify your mags, which could be pricey given how much they cost.

Member Hits The Target 00Buck.org's Avatar
    Other than weight I see no problem using it for hunting. It's accurate and should do anything you want a hunting rifle to do.

Here is a link to the 5 round mag that most states require to use it to hunt with. They are pricey but wouldn't know why you would need more than one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=449949

Thanks, I was able to obtain a 5 round mag from CDNN when I ordered the rifle.

I don't believe there is any restriction regarding how many rounds you can have in the magazine in Texas. At least not for deer or other large game. If you just want 5 round mags they are available. Check some of our sponsors.
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...al/hunt/means/

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter cewrx7r1's Avatar
    You could close the gas jet adjusting screw which would make it a bolt action and increase accuracy.
    That is if you feel like giving the wild beasts more of a chance in case you miss the first shot.
    My maternal grand father served in WWI in the Army and was kicked in the stomach by a mule.
    My father served 25+ years, USMC Major, pre WWII to 1963.
    My fav uncle served 20 years, MSgt USAF, was at Hickam field when the war started.
    I served 7 years during the Vietnam era, SSgt USAF.

Hunting

I had the heavy barrell and ended up selling it...just too heavy walking through the woods.Reading the reply before me,wished I'd known earlier about closing off the gas.
    Ended up with a 1974 Weatherby 7 mag w/1957 Bausch&Lomb VAR8 scope...IT truely is much more accurte than the FNAR and lighter...sorry.
    Just put 3-5 shells,all you need for deer.Ofcourse,only takes one for a neck shot.
    Fun is what it's all about![/img]

Works for me!

I dunno. A semi-automatic .308 sounds like a pretty sweet deer rig in my mind. Granted, the Weatherby mag is probably a great rifle, but when you start talking about "cross training", like trying to make one rifle not only deer hunt but also work for home defense if needed and/or 3-gun matches, the FN beats a Weatherby bolt gun hands down, in my view. Now, if you only want your gun to hunt with, the Weatherby will be fine (I have a .300 Wby mag myself...LOVE it), but if you want your gun to fill other roles as well, then the FN is pretty hard to beat.

I have a light barrrel model, and find that the weight is a little more than other rifles I own, but not bad. The heavy barrel is probably another matter, but then I wouldn't opt for a heavy barrel anything unless I was going to be hunting from a solid stand with a firm rest. You just know a rifle that starts out at close to 10 lbs (before scope, rings, mag and ammo are thrown in) ain't gonna be fun to go totin around the hills.

To the OP, if you wanna hunt with the FN, I say go ahead. I do!

frayluisfan
    Aquí la embidia y mentira me tubieron encerrado. Fray Luis de León (1528-91)

Links