FNAR 20" fluted vs. 20" heavy handling

FN Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: FNAR 20" fluted vs. 20" heavy handling

FNAR 20" fluted vs. 20" heavy handling

Does anyone on the board have a 20" fluted model that they could comment on the handling?
    I found one review somewhere on the web commenting that FNAR 20" heavy barrel was front heavy and the handling suffered.
    I observed the same thing on M1A Socom with all the huge rails on the fore end grip and it swung around like a sledge hammer and went swinging right on past the target and had to be reeled in. And that's without the usual rack of crap that would be bolted on to all those rails. I hated it. I like a light handling front end that acquires quickly and moves on quickly.

I'm having trouble sorting out the model availability of the FNAR 20" fluted barrel. Most of the vendors have lousy cut and paste descriptions, some with gross errors. And it may be because all the 20" barrels are fluted and heavy, dunno. Any wisdom out here?

Senior Member KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (blue shirt) StuO's Avatar
    My 20" heavy barrel is fluted. And yes, it is front heavy. I didn't get it to act as a .308 replacement for my AR-15. I got it as a semi-auto alternative to my .308 bolt gun....a long range precision rifle. It matters not (for me) that it is front heavy. That is why I use a tri-pod or shoot if off of my pack.
    Stu O.

Quote Originally Posted by StuO View Post
    My 20" heavy barrel is fluted. And yes, it is front heavy. I didn't get it to act as a .308 replacement for my AR-15. I got it as a semi-auto alternative to my .308 bolt gun....a long range precision rifle. It matters not (for me) that it is front heavy. That is why I use a tri-pod or shoot if off of my pack.
    same here. fluted and heavy but i didn't get this to go on patrol with. i got it to kill hogs and deer.

I handled a .308 heavy 20", 20" light, and 16"(which all 16" are "light" barrels).

I ruled out the .308 20" heavy because of poor handleing. The 20" light is appreciably lighter over nose but still does not shoulder like your typical assualt rifle does. I decided on the 20" light simply because i found it on closeout and saved a couple hunder dollars. But i do still kind of regret not going 16". The 16" version is supposed to be 8.5lbs, as apposed to a 9lbs light barrel 20", and 10lbs of the heavy 20". So if everything else is the same, the 16" would be 8 ounces lighter in the most critical area necessary for better weighting and handleing. My FNAR is my one and only rifle, and plays a much more broad role of hunting, plinking, defense, etc, so i think the 16" would have served me more appropriately in hind sight.

The best way to describe the handleing of my light 20" is acceptable, not great, or even good.

Quote Originally Posted by swine View Post
    I handled a .308 heavy 20", 20" light, and 16"(which all 16" are "light" barrels).

I ruled out the .308 20" heavy because of poor handleing. The 20" light is appreciably lighter over nose but still does not shoulder like your typical assualt rifle does. I decided on the 20" light simply because i found it on closeout and saved a couple hunder dollars. But i do still kind of regret not going 16". The 16" version is supposed to be 8.5lbs, as apposed to a 9lbs light barrel 20", and 10lbs of the heavy 20". So if everything else is the same, the 16" would be 8 ounces lighter in the most critical area necessary for better weighting and handleing. My FNAR is my one and only rifle, and plays a much more broad role of hunting, plinking, defense, etc, so i think the 16" would have served me more appropriately in hind sight.

The best way to describe the handleing of my light 20" is acceptable, not great, or even good.
    you plink with that? that sounds expensive. i have an M&P 15-22 or my AR for that.

Quote Originally Posted by eztarget View Post
    you plink with that? that sounds expensive. i have an M&P 15-22 or my AR for that.
    To be fair my plinking sessions are 100-200 round sessions, i buy brass mil surp .308, and as previously stated an FNAR doesnt exactly sholder or shoot like any AR or .22, does it? If i want to be proficient with my FNAR, i need to practice with it.

Swine, great comments. Thanks for the info. I've managed to cobble together a 16 with the proper bits for my hostile home state regs. I can't see 500 yds any more, let alone what the 20" is capable of, and a shorter brush gun is a better brush gun.

BTW, I spoke to FN today and he couldn't even sort out the existence of 20 light barrel. Thanks to this board for knowing more than the mfg. Now begins the wait...
    Smitty544 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by swine View Post
    If desired, you could always have a smith cut and recrown your barrel....it gives you options anyway.
    Stu O.

Quote Originally Posted by StuO View Post
    If desired, you could always have a smith cut and recrown your barrel....it gives you options anyway.
    Stu thats actually my plan as well as a thread for a possible brake. Still not sure if i want to add a brake as it seems some people dont have the best luck with them.

Swine,
    I wouldn't put a brake on my .308 Win gun. The cartridge is but moderate recoil, IMO. Brakes make for a lot of noise and the pressure wave generated to either side is notable. For a .308 Win, I just don't see that it is warranted.
    Stu O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links