Best shelf hunting ammo for FNAR

FN Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: Best shelf hunting ammo for FNAR

Best shelf hunting ammo for FNAR

Looking for some accurate off the shelf soft points or hollow points that are good for hunting deer and hogs and not crazy expensive. What works best for you?

Forgot to mention I'm shooting a 20 inch heavy barrel FNAR

I shy away from the word "best", but the Hornady A-Max 168gr BTHP is pretty tough to beat. It runs about 2790fps out of my 16"bbl and shows good expansion through a 5gal bucket of H2O. While 155 is plenty for deer, the 168 wouldn't be overkill and would do well on your hogs. It's also produced the tightest groups of anything I've shot yet. It's might not meet your budget requirements, cuz it's spendy, but once zeroed, I don't plan on shooting a box a year.

Edit: Hornady (among others) are adamant that anything called "match" should not be used for hunting. Okay, but just based on the expansion I've seen and given the accuracy, I still think it will bring down your target. IME, 165gr seems to be the "sweet spot" for this chambering, so if you stick to a premium bullet in this weight, your accuracy won't suffer. Beyond that, choose the profile you're most comfortable with.
    Last edited by Old Snipester; 09-28-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    particleman thanked this.

I've had good luck with Hornady TAP FPD 168 gr but it is about $1.50/rd. locally. It shoots as good as FGMM in my 20" FNAR Heavy.

For cheap stuff, plain old Remington Core-Lokt 150 gr. PSP does a fine job. You probably won't win any matches with it but it shoots 1.5-2 MOA pretty consistently for me. I like that I can get it almost anywhere for about half the cost of the "good stuff".

Also, I've tried Federal Power Shock hunting loads and had lousy groups. YMMV, of course.

Senior Member KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (blue shirt) StuO's Avatar
    I've used Walmart cheap 150 gr soft point Winchester ammo in my FNAR with better than expected results. I purchased it to foul the barrel, after cleaning, as I would rather use it than shoot my reloads to get that job done. And since I use Winchester brass, the brass was quite usable. It was way more accurate than what I would consider needed for deer (I've not hunted hogs).
    Ironminer thanked this.
    Stu O.

Around here, in-store bought ammo ranges from $15 for FMJ to $22-28 for "match". "Hunting" ammo can be sometimes be more expensive than the match grade ammo. So, I think the match ammo is a relatively good bargain.

Like others have said, the match grade ammo is marked as not for hunting, but is still suitable for many hunting applications.

After shooting 7 different ammos through my FNAR, I would shoot the Hornday 168 standard velocity match BTHP for deer or smaller game and be extremely confident about the kills out to 300 yards.

For short 100 yard shots on deer or smaller game, I would think almost any ammo would be accurate enough and have enough kill power once the FNAR is zeroed for the ammo (however, don’t use FMJ). I did see pretty significantly shifted points of impact for some ammo, so range time is essential on dialing in your ammo selection. I won’t be using use those ammos with shifted POI again, as I want to at least maintain my lateral zero to the extent possible.

Have fun, the FNAR is a great precision rifle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    FNAR light 20 - Trijicon 5-20X50 TR23-2G - Badger Ordinance SASR rings - GG&G bipod

I like Winchester SilverTips 168gr ballistic tip for white-tail.
    FNP-45 Tactical FDE
    FNP-45 Competition
    FNAR Heavy Barrel
    FN SCAR17 FDE
    Next FN: (Probably something "they" want to Ban)

Thanks for the replies guys. Seahawk, what kind of FNAR do you shoot the winchester 168s with? Heavy or light barrel and 16 or 20 inch? And what kind of groupings do U get out of them
    Last edited by theblakester; 10-22-2012 at 07:56 PM.

I've never done "groupings" with my FNAR. I know its supposed to be a precision rifle but I use it 99% for hunting with a 5-round mag. Last time I took it shooting I set up two full cans of beer (don't worry, they had been in the back of the spare fridge for the better part of a decade) at 100 yards, and shot prone on the dirt. Pegged both of them on the first shot with a massive display of foam and flying aluminum. I have the short, heavy-barreled version with a 3-9x40 Trijicon Accupoint glass.

I've never missed a deer with it, if that tells you anything. But I also hunt in mostly dense South Carolina foliage, and my shots are typically 300 yards and less. At 300 yards I put one MilDot of holdover on the scope and it smacks bullseye every time. I have the scope zero'd at 100 yds so works for me. Just about everyone I hunt with uses Ballistic SilverTips. I dont know why, maybe its group-think, but they seem to be very good for medium-sized game. I'm actually somewhat in the lower power with a .308 though, since everyone else uses bolt-action .270 WSM and .300 WSM.
    FNP-45 Tactical FDE
    FNP-45 Competition
    FNAR Heavy Barrel
    FN SCAR17 FDE
    Next FN: (Probably something "they" want to Ban)

I have had pretty good luck with the Winchester Super X 180 grain power-point at the range. It comes in at less than $1 a round at most stores, and can be picked up at most of your local sporting good stores. The last box I bought at Walmart for $18. I have used it at the range to check the zero on the scope (which was set up with Federal Gold Medal Match), and I found the zeros to be almost identical at 100-200 yards. I was able to put the entire box of 20 into a 4 inch circle at 200 yards, so it is not quite "match" ammo, but close enough to get the job done on larger game. The Winchester website says that it is good for use on large game with thin skin like deer, elk, and bear. I am not sure how well it would work on hogs as they have a thicker skin. It is what will be loaded in my magazines when white-tail opens up next month.

For reference I am using a 20 inch light barrel FNAR with a Vortex Viper 6.5x20x44 scope zeroed at 200 yards. Hunting in New Hampshire should not see too many shots greater than 100-150 yards, but I also take the FNAR to ranges that go up to 600 yards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links