advice for a new FNAR owner- heavy/standard

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 2 Post By kahunathomas
  • 1 Post By kahunathomas

Thread: advice for a new FNAR owner- heavy/standard

Question advice for a new FNAR owner- heavy/standard

I've looked over the forum pretty good and have been able to find some really good stuff. . . so thanks to all of you for all the good info you post here.

I just got a new Standard FNAR 20". So this is not the heavy barrel. I wonder am I missing out on anything by having the standard 20" rather than the heavy. I've seen threads about potential loss of accuracy if you go through like 3 clips in a short amount of time with the standard barrell. I'm not sure I will ever be in a situation where I do that. I intend to hunt with this gun, but also would like to try my hand at one day taking long shots. . . just to see if I can do it- like as long as possible..

So do I lose any knock down power because the barrel is not heavy? any speed? any other characteristics lost or gained when it comes to hunting applicaitons? target applications?

curious about your thoughts,

Congrats on a good decision.

I have read a lot of opinion and discussion on the Standard vs. Heavy.

The answer is in considering what ammunition you will be using and how far you consider a long distance.
    My understanding from the experts is that you really don't see the difference until you work the rifle at 600 plus yards. The 20" standard vs. heavy is probably not as much an issue as 16" vs. 20 for round stabilization when shooting long.

Bottom line is don't sweat it just shoot it.
    P-Factor and Ironminer thanked this.
    "Semper Vigilio"

"I don't have any Assault Weapons only Sporting Firearms."

Banned
    A very good summation Kahuna!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the response. I can't wait to get it out and shoot for the first time. The manual says to clean it up good before the first time out, and its taking me some time to get around to doing that. Looks a little more complicated than what I'm used to so I don't want to be rushed for the first time I try taking this thing apart to clean it.

Do you think I really need to take this thing all the way down for the initial cleaning. . . Meaning taking the bolt out and all. Or should I just clean the barrel?

Also any problems using Ballistol as the cleaner/oil. . Kinda as an all in one deal.

I called fnh USA on the # in the manual, when I talked to the tech rep on the phone he said there was no difference in accuracy or distance between the two, just that heavy was more for varmint hunting and standard more for deer or other applications that require more quick movements.

Banned
    I fired a couple hundred (clean) rounds through mine before field stripping but I did included good general cleaning after each session. Also keep in mind that you have a sub-MOA weapon so be careful cleaning the barrel and always clean starting from the breech to muzzle.

Good luck and be safe!

Banned
    Additional information for you to ponder...

FNAR cleaning

Thanks again for the quick reply!

So here's something I find interesting.

I've heard repeatedly- clean from the breech to the muzzle. I assume that this means that the patch and the rod should be fed starting from the breech and pushed through to the end of the barrel, and then once the patch is out through muzzle pull it back again through to the breech.

whats interesting is that the manual says to run the patch through starting at the muzzle. Which is what he tech guy at fnhusa told me when i called them on the phone. The other confusing thing is that I've had plenty of people tell me that since this is a semi auto rifle you couldn't start from the breach even if you wanted to.

can anyone enlighten me on what is going on here? How would you go about starting at the breech? A YouTube vid would be nice!

Also- there is no problem using a brass brush right?

probably showing my ignorance here. . .i mostly grew up shooting shot guns. . .

Thanks for the link. P-factor. Didn't notice it while I was typing my last post/questions. So the Otis cleaning system is the answer to how to clean a semi auto starting from the breech to the muzzle. . .

I use the Otis system at home and a Bore snake in the field.
    Your Bore is Chrome so watch that your cleaning fluids are compatible.
    Brass brushes are ok. No to Stainless Steel brushes.

A note on disassembly. The magwell screws are secured with a loctite type product. It is a possibility to strip these out if you are not careful.

There are different philosophies here on whether are not to strip the gun down to the bolt for initial cleaning. Although the latest manual shows how to remove the bolt it is not considered necessary for initial cleaning by FN. Section 18 of the manual describes the steps for initial cleaning.
    Just follow the manual for cleaning, lube where needed and go shoot is the FN's recommendation.

I have stripped my rifle down and inspected all the components (because I can) others have not with no reports of adverse results that I have seen. Bottom line is unless you have the need to strip the rifle for either (because I can) reasons or functional reasons it is not a requirement.

If you do strip the rifle and your rifle has the allen head magwell screws instead of the new Torx head replacements. Call FN and get replacement screws before you start. Part # B3177781AX
    FN Parts: 800-322-4626 ext.2863

You'll find this is a very clean shooting rifle and does not get dirty like the Direct Impingement AR-15 platform.
    If you use clean burning ammo the results will be even better.

Disclaimer: I am not a Gunsmith or Armorer. But have spent many a night at a Holiday Inn Express.
    Jerry2913 thanked this.
    "Semper Vigilio"

"I don't have any Assault Weapons only Sporting Firearms."

Quote Originally Posted by kahunathomas View Post
    Disclaimer: I am not a Gunsmith or Armorer. But have spent many a night at a Holiday Inn Express.

Sponsored Links