MSA Sordin Pro X or Peltor Tactical Pro

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree37Thanks

Thread: MSA Sordin Pro X or Peltor Tactical Pro

MSA Sordin Pro X or Peltor Tactical Pro

Decided to buy a nice set of ear protection. Should I pay the extra $30 and get the MSA over the Peltors? $250 is about the absolute max I am willing to go.

Compression over clipping is a must have.

I want GEL ears to seal better on eye pro so I am thinking if I get the Peltors and Gel Im at nearly the cost of the MSA.

I am willing to give up a little NRR for a slim profile that doesn't interfere as much with the butt stock. I do have an issue with that with my current Champion muffs. The Champions are good but big and clunky on my stock which does break the seal a bit. However, I usually always double up with foam ear plugs anyways. This makes communication really tough though.

I see people complaining that the MSA have super low NRR (18dB). However, NRR is freq. dependent, and from my reading the MSA NRR is actually more like 25dB give or take at firearm Hz freq. of the gunshot. That being said Im sure that the Peltors do in fact have a higher NRR at any given frequency due to the simple fact that the much larger cups allow for more sound foam.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006968YM...I2FRL4R1CABM9F

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What does the collective opinion say about this issue?
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 03-10-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    "I saw some girl texting and driving the other day and it really pissed me off, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her!" LOLz

"If I don't shoot you now, you're never going to learn." ~ me

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Silencer Shop
    Stocking distributor for AAC, Bowers, Gemtech, Griffin Armament, Knight's Armament, Rugged Suppressors, SIG SAUER Silencers, SureFire, Tactical Solutions, Thompson Machine, Thunder Beast Arms, Yankee Hill Machine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    /

512-931-4556

image.jpg

I don't have feedback issues with my SORDINs.

ABSOLUTELY WORST thing with SORDINs-- changing the batteries. Tim prolly hasn't had this issue I guess. I have the champion and 6s headsets. PELTOR 6s hands down.
    Last edited by Kakashi66218; 03-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    little_scrapper thanked this.
    It's not the things I did that keep me up at night.. it's the things I didn't do, but could have done, that's what has me losing sleep. - Me

I support veteran owned businesses. They supported America. Thank you for your service.
    Joshua 24:15

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Just how much is your hearing worth?

Spend the money to protect your hearing. I have high frequency nerve damage in both my ears, the right side at 80% and the left side at 50%. We used to use cig butts for hearing protection. Don't place your hearing at risk over a squabble for a few bucks more.

Spend what you need to to get a good pair of hearing protectors or spend many more bucks in the future for hearing aids.....
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

I've got a brand new in the bag set of Dual Comtac Peltors I'd be willing to trade out if you're interested (ex: eotech, aimpoint, ammo, mags... etc)

That being said, I have no experience with the Sordins but I've been using Peltors for years and I love them.

little_scrapper and Kakashi66218 thanked this.

I am leaning toward the SORDINs. There are plenty of real world anecdotal instances of BOTH having issues of one sort or another. It boils down to a few things I really want.

Compression and not clipping. Both Sets
    Low profile ~ NRR is irrelevant if they smack the stock and break the seal. SORDINS
    Good electronics ~ Both Sets But I am thinking the SORDINS have a better response time. SORDINS?
    Waterproofing is a nice touch. SORDINS

Replaceable Headband wrap is also a nice touch on the SORDINS but I could get one for the Peltor also.

I cant say one or the other on controls just something to get used to so don't care. Battery changes sound more difficult on the SORDINS but how many times are they changed. Again Don't care.

In the video the guy has feedback but I read tons of reports that yes that happens when you have them turned all the way up. Turn them down a bit and it goes away is what everyone was saying. To me that just says the mics are very sensitive. Not a bad thing. The one thing in that video above that gave me pause is when he said everyone that started out with MSA ended up with something else at the end of the day. However, he seemed to allude many of those were due to batteries.

I hear good things about the Peltor Sports also. I thought about getting those, gel and a head wrap combo for about $180 but I imagine there is probably a big difference in quality of electronics and response time at that price point. If I take my kid to the range he doubles up also and I want to make sure he can hear my instructions. I cant afford two SORDINS so I may have to do this for my second pair.

Buy once cry once! Right. Guess Im getting the MSA SORDINS.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 03-10-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    "I saw some girl texting and driving the other day and it really pissed me off, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her!" LOLz

The only time I hear feedback from my Sordins is when they are off my head but still turned on. I run them max amplification with plugs underneath - extremely happy.

Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    I am leaning toward the SORDINs. There are plenty of real world anecdotal instances of BOTH having issues of one sort or another. It boils down to a few things I really want.

Compression and not clipping. Both Sets
    Low profile ~ NRR is irrelevant if they smack the stock and break the seal. SORDINS
    Good electronics ~ Duh. Both Sets But I am thinking the SORDINS have a better response time.
    Waterproofing is a nice touch. SORDINS

I cant say one or the other on controls, Battery changes sound more difficult on the SORDINS but how many times are they changed.

In the video the guy has feedback but I read tons of reports that yes that happens when you have them turned all the way up. Turn them down a bit and it goes away is what everyone was saing. To me that just says the mics are very sensitive. Not a bad thing. The one thing in that video above that gave me pause is when he said everyone that started out with MSA ended up with something else at the end of the day. However, he seemed to allude many of those were due to batteries.
    The Peltors Drew has, are tits. Comtacs. Peltor makes good stuff. I use 6s' on the indoor range. 100s are newer.

On the Sordins.. The battery issue is bigger than you think. Think model ship in a bottle and pulling a glued mast from the underneath the model on the bottom. Well I also need to mention most eyepro breaks the seal, I wear SureFire ep3's earplugs with these because of that. I put loop tape on the covers to see if boogie regulators worked better than the temple grabbing eyewear I am comfortable with.

Youll want to use lithium in the Sordins if you go that route, a neglected alkaline battery will make a mess in damp conditions and may brick your headset.
    It's not the things I did that keep me up at night.. it's the things I didn't do, but could have done, that's what has me losing sleep. - Me

I support veteran owned businesses. They supported America. Thank you for your service.
    Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by Kakashi66218 View Post
    The Peltors Drew has, are tits. Comtacs. Peltor makes good stuff. I use 6s' on the indoor range. 100s are newer.

On the Sordins.. The battery issue is bigger than you think. Think model ship in a bottle and pulling a glued mast from the underneath the model on the bottom. Well I also need to mention most eyepro breaks the seal, I wear SureFire ep3's earplugs with these because of that. I put loop tape on the covers to see if boogie regulators worked better than the temple grabbing eyewear I am comfortable with.

Youll want to use lithium in the Sordins if you go that route, a neglected alkaline battery will make a mess in damp conditions and may brick your headset.
    The Comtacs better be tits for $600+ LOL. Great info. Especially on the Lithium batteries. Sometimes you just don't think about those types of things. Great advice. I need to look into some prescription shooting glasses. THen get something to smooth out the profile of the arm on the glasses to help with seal.

As for battery changes; I just watched a couple vids on it and it doesn't look hard at all. Two AA. Drop one in and push it to the side then drop in the next. I watched three videos on it just now and it doesn't look hard at all. What is everyone talking about ??
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 03-10-2017 at 11:05 PM.

So out of curiousity I checked out the MAC channel just to see what he is using for ear pro now.

It's not the Sordin's and it's not his older pair of 3M Tac Pros.

I don't know what the heck they are I've been trying to identify them.

It looks like the push button set up is in the shape of a plus symbol??
    Last edited by Milspec; 03-12-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links