First focal plane or second focal plane optics... Which do you prefer?

FN Forum

Google Search

View Poll Results: FFP vs SFP optics.

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer FFP.

13 61.90%
  • I prefer SFP.

3 14.29%
  • I don't mind either way.

5 23.81%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree9Thanks

Thread: First focal plane or second focal plane optics... Which do you prefer?

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

First focal plane or second focal plane optics... Which do you prefer?

First off, I have both and have used both to great effect. I have to say that I prefer FFP over SFP. On my FFP scopes the reticles are extremely fine allowing for more potential for precision. FFP reticles can be used to range targets with practice at any magnification setting. My FFP scopes have lit reticles and are extremely useful at 3.5X for a close range work. Then when I need the magnification and I zoom in on the reticle it doesn't cover up my target at longer distances.

My SFP scopes tend to obscure parts of if not the whole target at longer ranges when my target is small. That's not to say I can't use my SFP scopes at long range because I have and will continue to do so. It's just that I find FFP scopes more useful. The first thing I find myself looking for in a scope when I am shopping is if it is FFP or SFP.

Which do you prefer and why?
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    FFP...it takes more variables out of the equation when you are going for distance shots that require elevation and windage corrections.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

I prefer sfp due to smaller crosshairs at distant targets. For ranging there is no issues using sfp as long as you are on the max magnification (which on my case is always set too)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Unless its a hunting scope with simple crosshairs, FFP all the way. Otherwise just get a fixed power.
    KameronTKelly thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OneQuiet22 View Post
    I prefer sfp due to smaller crosshairs at distant targets. For ranging there is no issues using sfp as long as you are on the max magnification (which on my case is always set too)
    FFP remains thin and precise no matter the magnification. On my SFP optics the cross hair (vertical and horizontal) cover about 3 inches at max magnification. Of course it's probably different for higher power optics. All of my SFP scopes are 9 power max. What are you running for optics if you don't mind me asking?
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

I have a vortex viper pst 24x sfp. With the ffp the crosshairs englarged as you went up with magnification. Hence why you can range at any magnification because the mil or mrad will stay the same size relative to the target.
    Last edited by OneQuiet22; 04-06-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OneQuiet22 View Post
    I have a vortex viper pst 24x sfp. With the ffp the crosshairs englarged as you went up with magnification. Hence why you can range at any magnification because the mil or mrad will stay the same size relative to the target.
    This is exactly the purpose of the FFP scope. Calibrations stay the same at ALL MAGNIFICATIONS regardless of distance. On a SFP scope, your range and windage marks are only good at your zero spot magnification, and now the calculations start......

On a FFP scope, one MRAD or MOA is the same at all magnifications. Thus one MRAD at 6 power is the same as one MRAD at 24 power.

None of my FFP reticle get any bigger in reference to the target that I am looking at through the scope. An MRAD or MOA is a MRAD or MOA at any distance with a FFP scope.

The reticle on a FFP scope covers exactly the same area at 4X as it does at 24X in relation to the target and what is viewed in the scope.
    BigBuckeyeGuy and KameronTKelly thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Plus 1 for FFP! Love what HK says "Calibrations stay the same at ALL MAGNIFICATIONS regardless of distance!" Precisely why I love the FFP.

I personally use both for different purposes. if the scope has a very large magnification range then SFP because the reticle has a tendency of being very hard to pick up at the lower magnification ranges. And when it comes to ELR shooting then using your FFP as a ranging device becomes near impossible because of varying hights of objects and the effect of ballistics that make ball parking a range unacceptable. But at closer ranges then FFP reigns supreme over the SFP if you know how to range, and like to do holdovers instead of adjusting the turrets.
    "It seemed like a good idea at the time"

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    This is exactly the purpose of the FFP scope. Calibrations stay the same at ALL MAGNIFICATIONS regardless of distance. On a SFP scope, your range and windage marks are only good at your zero spot magnification, and now the calculations start......

On a FFP scope, one MRAD or MOA is the same at all magnifications. Thus one MRAD at 6 power is the same as one MRAD at 24 power.

None of my FFP reticle get any bigger in reference to the target that I am looking at through the scope. An MRAD or MOA is a MRAD or MOA at any distance with a FFP scope.

The reticle on a FFP scope covers exactly the same area at 4X as it does at 24X in relation to the target and what is viewed in the scope.

This is exactly what i was already pointing at. I think you misunderstood me when i said the cross hairs are larger. The line thickness is slightly larger on a ffp which is why i prefer a sfp on my bolt rifle. When I compared the vortex pst 6-24x SFP to the FFP i preferred the slightly thinner cross hairs on the SFP. Not sure if this is dependent on manufacture but this was my own experience.
    HK SD9 Tactical thanked this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links